Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-09-2011, 12:09 AM

To add, as water temp. rises, the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water decreases.... All that plant matter dying off and warm temperatures, doesn't sound like a good outcome for that lake. I've never seen (or even heard) of so many lakes being killed off or nearly killed off as I have in the last year. Sad to hear.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
whats the percentage of dead fish on that lake so far, anyone know??
Don't know the percentage but what I've heard is about 50 Pike's and perch are dead and hundreds of walleye are also dead
Old 09-09-2011, 04:31 PM

Not to hijack the thread but was talking to the camp manager at Cipperly pond and they're experiencing the same thing to a lesser degree. They were advised that it was a depletion of oxygen and fish/game was due for another visit to test the water. She also shared that there are 6 other ponds that are reporting the same kill off. Lets hope for some cooler weather. BTW she also shared stocked ponds are being reviewed this season and some are slated for closure due to "low usage."
Old 09-09-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgirl View Post
Not to hijack the thread but was talking to the camp manager at Cipperly pond and they're experiencing the same thing to a lesser degree. They were advised that it was a depletion of oxygen and fish/game was due for another visit to test the water. She also shared that there are 6 other ponds that are reporting the same kill off. Lets hope for some cooler weather. BTW she also shared stocked ponds are being reviewed this season and some are slated for closure due to "low usage."
wow did not think any stocked ponds had low usage! lol
chipperly is usually fished out shortly after it is stocked.
or at least used to be.

orv.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroumand8 View Post
Don't know the percentage but what I've heard is about 50 Pike's and perch are dead and hundreds of walleye are also dead
that is goddam awful. Fishing was great early in the year....going to miss having a good fishing lake so close
Old 09-09-2011, 11:08 PM

I was there in June and said would never go back, it is a hole, fishing was terrible other than the kids catching walleye at the dock, which was cool. The lake water was brown and stunk, there was no beach for the kids, the overpriced one shelf 'store' is a bloody joke....

There are hundreds of other lakes, I will never go back there.

If anyone from here takes my post personal, I apologize, many have said they either grew up there or skied there for years, but it is a dive afaiac.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....