Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 PM

Default First bow river rainbow today

Fished near fish creek park.. Was about to call it a day when I caught my first ever bow river rainbow.. caught on a prince nymph bead head flashback under a hopper..

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t=DSCF1069.jpg
Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Nice work! and nice net.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:24 PM

nice trout
Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 PM

I'm jealous. Nicely done.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 AM
Banned

Great job buddie,,,, Next time Try a rapala. !!!! number 5 or 7 Get big browns.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman150 View Post
Fished near fish creek park.. Was about to call it a day when I caught my first ever bow river rainbow.. caught on a prince nymph bead head flashback under a hopper..

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t=DSCF1069.jpg
Forgot to ask did he go for the nymph or the hopper? I imagine hopper but just want to check.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown303 View Post
Forgot to ask did he go for the nymph or the hopper? I imagine hopper but just want to check.
nope, went for the nymph.. I could see a few fish feeding but not too many rising so threw on a dropper. Could see them feeding a few feet under the surface so adjusted my dropper for that depth.

Was getting frustrated as I was drifting it by countless times then kinda overcast the target fish by accident but let it drift anyway that's when I hooked on.. Was a good seam so must have been lots of fish in the area..

A few of the veterans were casting straight dry's (caddis) upstream from me and were hooking some fish, but apparently it takes some patience as best to wait for a rise then cast to the area. I'm still very new to it so I have a bit of an issue with patience as well as seeing the sometimes subtle rises.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman150 View Post
nope, went for the nymph.. I could see a few fish feeding but not too many rising so threw on a dropper. Could see them feeding a few feet under the surface so adjusted my dropper for that depth.

Was getting frustrated as I was drifting it by countless times then kinda overcast the target fish by accident but let it drift anyway that's when I hooked on.. Was a good seam so must have been lots of fish in the area..

A few of the veterans were casting straight dry's (caddis) upstream from me and were hooking some fish, but apparently it takes some patience as best to wait for a rise then cast to the area. I'm still very new to it so I have a bit of an issue with patience as well as seeing the sometimes subtle rises.
Awesome sounds like you had the right idea anyways! Dry's can be tricky but are my prefered method just because I enjoy watching the takes. But I'm trying to work on my nymphing more so I can hook on to them more regularly.