Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 PM

Default 'The Original Ice Rigger'

www.icerigger.com

It's not much of a website, but I've been searching for info on this thing for a bit, and this is all I've found.

I saw this product at The Wal recently, and I'm curious if anybody out there has used one of these things before? Seems like a cross between a tip-up and the automatic fisherman. It pops up a flag when a fish takes your bait like a tip up, and lets you use a regular ice rod like the automatic fisherman, but it doesn't set the hook for you.

Seems to me like instead of getting a couple tip ups with different weight line on them, I can get one of these and have an excuse to get a couple more rods/reels...makes me more versatile and all that

edit: I forgot to mention, the one I saw at The Wal was manufactured (or at least packaged) by H.T. Enterprises, though I can't find anything about it on their site.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 PM

Looks good - there's a few different manufacturers out there making something similair. The In Fisherman Ice fishing edition last season had 2 or 3 different ones. Giver a try and tell us how she works. What was the price on it?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:09 PM

I'm pretty sure it was $18, and if I get it from The Wal and it sucks I can always return it

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-05-2009, 10:11 PM

Check out the Slammer tip up. It uses a 5' 6'' rod on the bend and has some real setting power. I made one a few years ago and it works really quite well, smokes the pike and lings.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I'm pretty sure it was $18, and if I get it from The Wal and it sucks I can always return it
May I ask from which Walmart you got it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySonny View Post
May I ask from which Walmart you got it?

Thanks in advance!
I haven't picked one up yet, but I saw it at the Walmart in the South Edmonton Common. They just put out their little section of ice fishing stuff within the past couple weeks.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-04-2009, 08:05 PM

Grabbed myself one of these guys today, but haven't messed around with it yet. I'll hopefully be able to give it a shot on Sunday as long as there isn't a freakin' blizzard going on then!

Kept my recipt just in case it's a POS

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 PM

made by the same company that made my pop up, Im hoping the quality is good. find out tomorrow I guess, Im on the ice firtst thing unless the blizzard decides to come down this way. nothing so far anyways

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-04-2009, 08:22 PM

Good luck out there tomorrow Wayne! And I hope you don't get the weather we're getting here right now. Got a bunch of snow through most of the day, but I think it's stopped now? Bloody windy though, so there's still snow blowing all over.

I think the conditions Sunday are supposed to be decent...just cold, which I can deal with

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-04-2009, 08:29 PM

What a perfect unit!!! I like the laziness factor of a tip up but you still get the action with a rod & reel. The ol' wallymart you say? Think I might have to pay them a visit.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
What a perfect unit!!! I like the laziness factor of a tip up but you still get the action with a rod & reel. The ol' wallymart you say? Think I might have to pay them a visit.
Yeah, it seems like a good idea to me...I don't know why, but I'm just not keen on the handlining thing, so this way I get to use a rod, but still have the convenience of a tip-up

Once I try it out I'll let you know how it works

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Yeah, it seems like a good idea to me...I don't know why, but I'm just not keen on the handlining thing, so this way I get to use a rod, but still have the convenience of a tip-up

Once I try it out I'll let you know how it works
Dude for the 18 bucks think I might just grab one!! If your heading out let me know I haven't fished for over 2 months getting a little antsy. Pretty neat little rig though.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Dude for the 18 bucks think I might just grab one!! If your heading out let me know I haven't fished for over 2 months getting a little antsy. Pretty neat little rig though.
I feel ya! On Sunday I'm tagging along with ghostguy6 and maybe another buddy of his. I think we're going to start at Chickacoo.

I'll shoot him a PM...I'm sure he won't mind if you come along

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-04-2009, 09:18 PM

So I took it out to mess with it, and it seems like it should work well, except for one problem. The one ice rod I have has a cork handle that flares out on the end, and it doesn't fit in the rod holder part. Going to have to look for a rod with a thinner or maybe foam handle, or modify it slightly to make it work with the rod I have.

Still looking forward to using it!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-04-2009, 09:36 PM

I think if you have a an exacto blade you could probably shave the handle down a bit in order to make it fit properly.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I think if you have a an exacto blade you could probably shave the handle down a bit in order to make it fit properly.
Already crossed my mind

Also thinking about just sliding a slightly bigger piece of ABS or PVC over the existing 'holder'.

Should be an easy fix either way.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 PM

Ahhhh yeah suppose that would work as well. Like you said either way. I'm certain it's not worth going out and buying a whole new rod. PM sent for sunday.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Ahhhh yeah suppose that would work as well. Like you said either way. I'm certain it's not worth going out and buying a whole new rod. PM sent for sunday.
I still want to pick up another rod or two anyway, but now I'll be looking closer at the handles.

I think shaving the flare off the end of the handle would probably be the quickest fix for now though.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 02-17-2010, 07:13 PM

I met the manufacturer of the Ice rigger a few years back at a U.S. boat show. It works excellent and is a hell of a lot better than fishing with any tip-up. Now you have use of a rod and reel to set hooks reel in line . Way more fun bringing in fish and no more cut or cold hands from hand-lining tip ups.

The whole system is great up until your line freezes in but we recently solved that problem by using Ice-Stoppers. You gotta get these thhings they are awwsome and make the Ice rigger even more effective. The have a website that explains what they are and how they work. www.cansportrecreation.com I bought mine at the fishin Hole but you can mail-order them as well. last time I went to the Fishin hole they were sold out and hadn't restocked.---Good Luck
Old 02-17-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_ Tamarac View Post
I met the manufacturer of the Ice rigger a few years back at a U.S. boat show. It works excellent and is a hell of a lot better than fishing with any tip-up. Now you have use of a rod and reel to set hooks reel in line . Way more fun bringing in fish and no more cut or cold hands from hand-lining tip ups.

The whole system is great up until your line freezes in but we recently solved that problem by using Ice-Stoppers. You gotta get these thhings they are awwsome and make the Ice rigger even more effective. The have a website that explains what they are and how they work. www.cansportrecreation.com I bought mine at the fishin Hole but you can mail-order them as well. last time I went to the Fishin hole they were sold out and hadn't restocked.---Good Luck
That ice stopper looks suspiciously like an adjust-a-bobber, just used in a different application.

Good idea either way

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams