Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 AM

Default Pigeon Lake conditions

Anyone know if the algae bloom is still on, was hoping to check it out tommorow
Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 AM

better off hitting up calling for some walleye action, pidgeon is still really slow. try late september it should be on by then.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 08-23-2011, 10:54 AM

We were out a last week... seems the lake is getting better but still some spots were hit and miss with the Blue-Green...

Fishing was great... 3 of us fishing for a couple hours in the evening and landed 60 or 70 Walleye...
Old 08-23-2011, 03:48 PM

I was there about 3 weekends ago and was catching @ 20 a day. I fished the drop off by the provincial campground.
My question is when does the Algae bloom go away??
Old 08-23-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
We were out a last week... seems the lake is getting better but still some spots were hit and miss with the Blue-Green...

Fishing was great... 3 of us fishing for a couple hours in the evening and landed 60 or 70 Walleye...
If you don't mind me asking,what part of the lake were you fishing? My dad flew in to town last night for a short stay and he wants to go fishing on saturday. I'd like to make it a fun trip for him.Thanks.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smasher View Post
If you don't mind me asking,what part of the lake were you fishing? My dad flew in to town last night for a short stay and he wants to go fishing on saturday. I'd like to make it a fun trip for him.Thanks.
We started out at the drop off at the Provincial Park and got a few before we got chased off by a nasty looking storm… by the time we got closer to the cabin we could tell it was going to miss us… so we just fished in the Mulhurst Bay in case we had to get off quickly… we were just using jig heads with a minnow… we were anchored in 14 feet… but if you don’t get fish right away… stick it out… Fishing was slow for about half an hour than we couldn’t keep them off…

Good Luck
Old 08-23-2011, 04:08 PM

usually what I do for non stop walleye action is troll slowly back and forth in front of mameo beach, stopping at the corner then taking a b-line for seagull island. I then anchor near seagull island [not saying exactly where] its a nice point to jig for pike and walleye. you will know the spot because theres a sudden break in the weeds.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 PM

Fished it heavy this past weekend. Lots of fish... but best spot for us (my 9/yo daughter and I) was Saturday night about 7-9pm just off the sliver beach point (south end of Mulhurst Bay) in about 13 ft of water. White jigheads and minnows. Tons of fun... until the twit in the ski boat ran through the area and in between 4 boats that were anchored. after a delay the Wallys returned and i was soon out 10 bucks as I bet her I would catch more fish. I lost. A 9 year that can out fish me. Thats a beautiful thing.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:53 PM

regarding the bloom... it seems to dying off now. Sunday around mulhurst it was great... even close to shore. My kids were in the water for about 3 hours... but Friday and Saturday the lake near shore was soupy with the globlets. It was a clearer further out.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 PM

From what I am reading on the postings is that it is clearing up. My question is I have 6 tags for under 43 (wife and myself). Was thinking of going out to fill the tags but what does everyone think about the fish quality. With all this hoopla that went on I don't know what to think.
BrianGeorge
Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangeorge View Post
From what I am reading on the postings is that it is clearing up. My question is I have 6 tags for under 43 (wife and myself). Was thinking of going out to fill the tags but what does everyone think about the fish quality. With all this hoopla that went on I don't know what to think.
BrianGeorge
Was out Sunday. Never seen the walleye so chubby and healthy looking. They were pale but I figured it was the water clarity.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM

I'm out here for the rest of the week. Went out to the point south of Mulhurst last night for an hour. A few hookups by the two youngsters with me, but only one to the boat. The fish have been very fat and healthy this year. Noticed the one yesterday was much paler than weeks past, but I also believe it's the (lack of) water clarity. Seems like less quantity and more quality this year. Works for me! Have had my best luck this year at the north end of the lake. Most of my favorites have been slow all year. A tournament buddy of mine at our park said he caught a 6.5 and a couple 4's a few weeks ago by the island, and I believe what he says.
Water was still pretty cruddy yesterday, but it was very windy today. Maybe blow a bunch of the algae mats to Mameo! I will try to post updates if I get out more the next few days.

Jim
Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 PM

Thanks for all your info guys. I might give it a try in the next day or two and I will let you know how we do.
BrianGeorge
Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 AM

Any algae updates for Pidgeon?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM

There was a LOT there on Aug 27. There were chunks of the stuff and I think we only caught what we did because we hit the fish in the head with the hook.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
better off hitting up calling for some walleye action, pidgeon is still really slow. try late september it should be on by then.
The fishing at pigeon, in my opinion is great. Jigging earlier this year, caught 15 walleye in half an hour.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Default Pigeon lake in september

Been trying to get out for 2 weeks, think tommorow is the day. anyone been out lately
Old 09-05-2011, 09:54 PM

Default is calling lake better than pigeon

where should i go to get eyes
Old 09-06-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanna View Post
where should i go to get eyes
Never tried it but heard that the drop off in front of the prov park is good.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:09 AM

Fished Pigeon for the first time in two years. For the first time I thought I'd try Mulhurst and what a great choice!!! None stop action in 15 feet of water. Very impressed with the size as well. Many 22 inches and better. I will definitely be back a few times before hard water.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Any update on the whitefish? are they starting to rise yet? Hope to be anchored out in mullhurst until the snow flies.

nothing like some white fillets to toss on the barbie.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:04 PM

went out yesterday & caught 50 in 3 hrs, Great afternoon, but the alge is brutal in the afternoon, Lots of fish rising dont know if they are white fish tho
Old 09-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Any update on the whitefish? are they starting to rise yet? Hope to be anchored out in mullhurst until the snow flies.

Not sure if I would eat anything out of there with the blue/green alge and do not swim or eat any fish warning. I was out there today and the fishing was good however I had a huge job washing of the thick scum off that dried to the boat by the time I got home.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 AM

awe man, thanks for the update. I thought the algae would have died out by the end of the season, hopefully after sept it will all die out. ugh,

Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:

Why are you throwing fillets on your dolls.............