Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Default Sheep River Fishing

Has anyone fished the Sheep River this year, I've never fished it, I'm looking for some advise or another good creek in the Calgary area for fly fishing, I usually fish the Bow & Elbow but I'm looking for some new streams.. Thanks !
Old 07-03-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo123 View Post
Has anyone fished the Sheep River this year, I've never fished it, I'm looking for some advise or another good creek in the Calgary area for fly fishing, I usually fish the Bow & Elbow but I'm looking for some new streams.. Thanks !
Fished it a couple weeks ago and caught a couple 8" rainbows on pmds
Old 07-03-2015, 09:25 PM

Fished it today. There was a bit of a golden stone hatch, but in 2.5 hours on Gorge Ck/Sheep R. I got nothing.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-06-2015, 03:17 PM

Al. Do you go in from the north side or walk down the fence from the k country boundary parking lot. ( if you can still get there after the flood?). And do you agree gorge creek is at the bottom of that trail? By gps coordinates that creek I think is much further west. Not sure after argument with CO.

B.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post
Al. Do you go in from the north side or walk down the fence from the k country boundary parking lot. ( if you can still get there after the flood?). And do you agree gorge creek is at the bottom of that trail? By gps coordinates that creek I think is much further west. Not sure after argument with CO.
Gorge creek passes under the Sheep River Road beside the access to the U of C field station, about 700 m West of where Gorge Creek Trail goes off Sheep River Rd. That is where it flows into the Sheep. See this map. I access it from where it crosses the Sheep River Road.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-17-2015, 12:38 PM

Fishing has been exeptional so far this year. It's normally never this low and clear. Been catching anything between 15-30 fish a day with the bulk being whitefish. Some nice rainbows and browns as well, and the occasional bull.
I have yet to move far out of town.
End of season (late Sept/Oct) is when you get the big ones though.
Nice little stream - but be prepared to lose a lot of flies

NT
Old 07-17-2015, 08:54 PM

I fish the Sheep several times a week. Plenty of fish (especially whitefish) on nymphs, and some rainbows on nymphs and dries. Lots of good places to fish near Okotoks and lots of others west of Turner Valley (just get land owners permission before crossing fences and such). Great little stream.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:58 AM

4 hrs fishing landed 1 rainbow, worked a lot of decent water with no flashes at all.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:04 PM

6h, between 50 and 60 fish. 12 rainbows, 1 brown, the rest white fish. All within town limits.
Called it a day around 4 due to the number of rafters.
Slivers - where did you fish?
I'm probably fishing upstream from town next week to check the terrain. Start around 8 until I'm hungry!
Old 07-25-2015, 11:37 AM

Fished out of the 48th st road alowance last week. Very disappointed to see that the barrier rocks have been pushed to the side and people are now driving on the gravel bar. One idiot was driving in the stream channel but was too far away to get a license. Lots of garbage left behind. Sad.
Fishing Report: Lots of 5-6" rainbows, a few 10 - 12" rainbows, as usual the odd larger fish, all on parachute dries and a hopper dropper rig.

Tim
Old 07-25-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcartmell View Post
Fished out of the 48th st road alowance last week. Very disappointed to see that the barrier rocks have been pushed to the side and people are now driving on the gravel bar. One idiot was driving in the stream channel but was too far away to get a license. Lots of garbage left behind. Sad.
Fishing Report: Lots of 5-6" rainbows, a few 10 - 12" rainbows, as usual the odd larger fish, all on parachute dries and a hopper dropper rig.

Tim
is that aka pumphouse? I noticed the same at that location.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:57 PM

Well if getting out of town to the mountains is your thing, and you like fishing with the rest of calgary, its a good place to go
Old 07-26-2015, 05:23 PM

Was out there west of Sandy Mcnabb on Saturday 8am -12pm. one 14" bull and only two other people out there. Fun area to fish.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:55 AM

Fished again on Sat below 32 Ave bridge. Stopped counting after 25, with about 50/50 split between rainbows and whites. Lost a few after a couple of jumps, and two unknows broke my tippet. Water temp was good until around 11-ish, then activity slowed down and it became hard work.
But boy, the Sheep eats flies - I feel good every day when I catch more fish that lose flies!
Some suggestions for the Sheep - if you can see the bottom (like now), the fish can see you...
If you're not losing flies, you're fishing too high. So figure out if you can afford to lose that fly that's stuck, or if you want to catch the other five in the same pool.
Tippet - 0.11mm and smaller, except in the riffles, where you can get away with 0.13-0.15mm.
Small flies - I caught 90% on 16-18's
Old 07-27-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
is that aka pumphouse? I noticed the same at that location.
Yes the water co-op pumphouse is beside the river access. I'm not sure who decided to remove the rocks but it was not a good idea!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcartmell View Post
Yes the water co-op pumphouse is beside the river access. I'm not sure who decided to remove the rocks but it was not a good idea!
thats really too bad. Used to be a nice spot until the resident had to leave. I was talking to a gal who walks her dogs there and she said she can only walk until about June, than the kids seem to take over and drive their trucks around like idiots. I collected 6$ worth of bottles and cans last time I fished there.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:26 AM

Guys I'm planning to fish from the Hwy 2 bridge upstream to the 32 St bridge on Sat. About 6k. The river is as low as I've ever fished it this time of year, clear as can be. I expect quite a few "empty" sections, but I've never fished a 4k section from Hyw 2 upstream before. Leaving Hwy 2 bridge at 8 sharp. I'll have a vehicle at the 32St sportsfield parking area, so if anybody else is interested in a long fishing day, send me a pm. Since I don't know exactly how long it will take, I plan on fishing only the promising areas, scouting the rest.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:08 PM

Namtinker I tried to send a PM but it isn't working. I might meet you there, but I usually have better luck with spinners. Under the train bridge yesterday was pretty good with a silver Mepps.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtinker View Post
Fished again on Sat below 32 Ave bridge. Stopped counting after 25, with about 50/50 split between rainbows and whites. Lost a few after a couple of jumps, and two unknows broke my tippet. Water temp was good until around 11-ish, then activity slowed down and it became hard work.
But boy, the Sheep eats flies - I feel good every day when I catch more fish that lose flies!
Some suggestions for the Sheep - if you can see the bottom (like now), the fish can see you...
If you're not losing flies, you're fishing too high. So figure out if you can afford to lose that fly that's stuck, or if you want to catch the other five in the same pool.
Tippet - 0.11mm and smaller, except in the riffles, where you can get away with 0.13-0.15mm.
Small flies - I caught 90% on 16-18's
Man, your luck is exact opposite of mine. Gotta follow your advice. Thanks!

I do want to get better on my home waters so I've actually booked a day with guide Jim McLennan next week to get some private coaching. We'll spend the day on the Sheep. Really looking forward to it.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:02 PM

Yeah, I had a few lessons with Jim in a group a few years back. After that it is just practice.
HighRiver - I passed somebody Saturday at the bridge that was also spinning (with a bicycle)... Was returning home.
If you're there, you're there...
Fished last night from 6-8 pm in a 50m stretch. 6 Rainbows, 4 whites. Water temp was about 20. A whack of rafters/swimmers. My knee pads are wearing out - geez, I'm hoping we get some rain soon!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:37 PM

My wife took my flyrod with her to Asia. I might have to get one tomorrow night after work.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:13 PM

You've inspired me! Taking the day off tomorrow and the morning will be on the Sheep!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:24 PM

Good luck - Mornings are good - up to 11 at least. Especially the sections in the shade.

HighRiver - if you get one, and will be mostly fishing streams like the Sheep, get as close to a 10ft as you can - 3 or 4wt...
Old 07-30-2015, 09:15 PM

Will be out tomorrow morning as well.
Don't know how to fly fish so will be spinning. BUT I am also going to try the "fly and bubble" technique tomorrow as well!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:21 AM

So, it took about 6h to fish from Hwy 2 to Riverbend RV. The water level and temperatures dictated where the fish were located. Well over 50 fish, with rainbows making up more than half. All sizes, from 2 in, to 20. Even a few double hook-ups.
If the water was higher, the section would be a lot more difficult to wade, and take substantially longer.
Judging by the footprints, the area receives limited anglers.
By the number of golf balls - a helmet may be required!
If you catch a big brown at Riverbend and find a custom fly in its jaw, let me know. 0.11mm tippet and submerged branches do not go well together...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
S Well over 50 fish, with rainbows making up more than half. All sizes, from 2 in, to 20.
Judging by the footprints, the area receives limited anglers.
not for long

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-04-2015, 10:03 AM

Ah you know, access is limited. Two ways in, so it takes some commitment. And most committed flyfishermen are also the responsible ones (I hope!). More pressure = smarter fish = better anglers. Not many guys I know want to fish that long anyway.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Ah you know, access is limited. Two ways in, so it takes some commitment. And most committed flyfishermen are also the responsible ones (I hope!). More pressure = smarter fish = better anglers. Not many guys I know want to fish that long anyway.
that's some knowledge right there!
Old 08-05-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You've inspired me! Taking the day off tomorrow and the morning will be on the Sheep!
Did you catch anything that day?

Just wondering because I'm planning to be there this weekend and I'd to know what flies I should be bringing with.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrozema View Post
Did you catch anything that day?

Just wondering because I'm planning to be there this weekend and I'd to know what flies I should be bringing with.
Nada. I need help, bad. LOL