Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-24-2020, 03:38 PM

Default Fly tying Equipment

For the past couple of years I've been looking to get into fly tying. I've looked at kits, read reviews, fly tying books, watched videos and have quite an extensive library on the subject.
I'm now ready to purchase the tools to do this. I have a vice that I use for tying wire worms, and I know it will work for tying flies, but I'm thinking a rotary would be better for flies. Looking at bobbins, whip finishers, scissors hair stackers, hackle pliers, and tools I haven't any idea what they are for. The kits look like over kill, with cheap vices and I already have a cheap vice. I'd like a pedestal vice. I'm thinking I'd get better quality purchasing the equipment one piece at a time versus a kit. From reading reviews on different kits, this makes sense to me.
Kits come with an assortment of materials, reviews tell me most of the materials aren't quality and don't get used. And more need to be purchased.
How did you get started in this hobby, what do you use, what do you recommend, brands of equipment/tools. Ceramic vs regular for a lack of a better term.
I'm wanting to spend my money wisely and only once for tools. Quality is important. I'm also not wanting to overspend to get into this sport. I do feel that I have the patience and time to tie now. Looking forward to hearing from the AO community.

BW
Old 04-24-2020, 04:58 PM

I have been typing for 30years and started as a kid. I am very simple with my tools I only use a vice, scissors and a bobbin that’s is it. A good ceramic bobbin and good scissors are worthwhile the rest I personally have no use for even though I have all kinds of goodies. So it’s all up to you with a lot of the tools

Material think of what you plan to tie and buy your materials accordingly. I still ended up with boxes of materials overtime lol

One thing I tell everyone who starts tying don’t get too caught up on patterns but learn how to apply the materials and let you imagination run wild. Of course it’s still worth learning your favorite flies
Old 04-24-2020, 05:09 PM

You pretty much summed up my thoughts on patterns and equipment. I like your style when it comes to this hobby. Looking forward to hearing from others.

BW
Old 04-24-2020, 05:33 PM

First of all, get a hold of a decent book on the basics, describing tools, materials, techniques and "proven" patterns, I wouldn't deviate from the latter until you master the basics. That way you will also control the materials buying, at least for a while. There are lots of videos on U-Tube for many different patterns.

You don't need a rotary vise. I tied for over 45 years on non-rotaries until I splurged a few years ago.

Buy decent hooks, stay away from Mustad.

Dr. Slick scissors are good but Michael's has some very good scissors at lower prices.

Ceramic bobbins? Yes

Whip finisher? Maybe I've been using half hitch knots and Zap-a-Gap for
the last two years.

I'm sure many others will chip in with advice...it's free like rhubarb and zucchini!
Old 04-24-2020, 06:01 PM
Banned

"I'm sure many others will chip in with advice...it's free like rhubarb and zucchini!"

Here's MY advice: Don't listen to Mr. Flyguy. ahahahahahhaaaaa!

Seriously tho', a good light will help a lot. And if you're at that age, good reading glasses.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
"I'm sure many others will chip in with advice...it's free like rhubarb and zucchini!"

Here's MY advice: Don't listen to Mr. Flyguy. ahahahahahhaaaaa!

Seriously tho', a good light will help a lot. And if you're at that age, good reading glasses.
Oh I’m past that age and I love rhubarb!

BW
Old 04-24-2020, 08:05 PM

I think the one thing you need to ask yourself is...why do I want to do this?

Is it a hobby? Is it general interest? is it to save money? Is it to make money?
Is it for the satisfaction of catching a fish on a self ty?

Answering those questions will dictate how deep you want to go here...

Been tying for 40 years...started as a hobby....then there was the satisfaction of catching a fish on my own ty.
Lately tying has become a chore and I do so reluctantly.

Saving money?...unlikely.
Making money by selling?...not for me...
Old 04-24-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
stay away from Mustad.
I will agree with you on the newer Chinese produced Mustads….but if you can still find some of the originals made in Norway, there are no better hooks available.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:11 PM

Your profile says your from Edmonton.There is a very good tying/fishing club there.Great bunch.Check them out.Probably have,beginners tying classes,with tremendous amount of knowledge.Northern lights fly tyers www.nlft.org
Old 04-24-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
I think the one thing you need to ask yourself is...why do I want to do this?

Is it a hobby? Is it general interest? is it to save money? Is it to make money?
Is it for the satisfaction of catching a fish on a self ty?

Answering those questions will dictate how deep you want to go here...

Been tying for 40 years...started as a hobby....then there was the satisfaction of catching a fish on my own ty.
Lately tying has become a chore and I do so reluctantly.

Saving money?...unlikely.
Making money by selling?...not for me...
I’m tying for the fun of tying catching fish on my own creations. Tying to give to friends. Not to save money on flies not to sell. I’m at a place in life where I have time and space. Also to hopefully tie with my daughter so she gets the satisfaction of catching fish with her own creations.

BW
Old 04-24-2020, 08:16 PM

My wife bought me a fly tying lesson taught by Gary Hanke . I highly recommend it. Very informative and he shares a ton of great fishing tips.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I’m tying for the fun of tying catching fish on my own creations. Tying to give to friends. Not to save money on flies not to sell. I’m at a place in life where I have time and space. Also to hopefully tie with my daughter so she gets the satisfaction of catching fish with her own creations.

BW
Then, I would say to start and stay basic for the time being like Smoky Buck said.
NO need for an expensive rotary vise....get a basic pedestal
Stay away from "kits"...materials are usually sub standard
Buy the materials you need for the patterns you want to tie...materials, other than hooks, usually go a long way and you'll find you end up with stuff to last you several lifetimes...

The two things you will need that money cannot buy...are time and patience.
ENJOY!
Old 04-25-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I have been typing for 30years and started as a kid. I am very simple with my tools I only use a vice, scissors and a bobbin that’s is it. A good ceramic bobbin and good scissors are worthwhile the rest I personally have no use for even though I have all kinds of goodies. So it’s all up to you with a lot of the tools

Material think of what you plan to tie and buy your materials accordingly. I still ended up with boxes of materials overtime lol

One thing I tell everyone who starts tying don’t get too caught up on patterns but learn how to apply the materials and let you imagination run wild. Of course it’s still worth learning your favorite flies
x2 ... that is all you need ... I think an AO member by the handle ariverrunsthroughit or something like that has a couple of hi end platform vises ... that said i new a scotsman out of rhodesia in the day who put himself through law school tying the classic salmon flies.... by hand... no vise... and i watched him do it.. pretty cool ... have fun
Old 04-25-2020, 05:00 PM

YouTube has revolutionized hobby fly-tying - but I'd still recommend joining a club with real, live people!
I've been tying for 40+ years, but my most memorable lessons and flies tied, and lessons learned were with others.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:46 AM

I've been tying off and on for 20 years. I started as a kid mainly as something to compliment fly fishing, and then it grew as I found the ability to tie what I needed, when I needed without relying on a store for last minute pre-trip patterns.

You need a good vise but don't have to go crazy. Make sure it has strong jaws. I've been using a knock off of a Regal vise for 15 years. I prefer a pedestal vise. You don't need a rotary, especially when just starting out. Wait until you have experience and start wanting to crank out a high number of flies.

Ceramic bobbins - yes. Saves a ton of headache.

Good scissors - yes, 2 pairs. Get one with a finer point and super sharp edges and then one cheaper pair for cutting wire. Don't use the good scissors on wire.

Whip finisher - yes. I find them way faster than trying to tie knots by hand.

Hair stackers - nice to have, but not required. They just make for prettier flies

Hackle pliers - not really. I have them, but rarely use them.

I use Dr. Slick for scissors and Griffin for my other tools.

The best advice I can give is to take a class or spend sometime with an experienced tyer. Find out what you need for the patterns you want and then go from there. The kits are often lacking in quality tools and rarely have the right materials. Reid's Fly Shop in Edmonton does fly tying nights now and then I believe. At the very least, I'd swing in and chat with them about getting started. I've found them to be super helpful and willing to work with novices.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:16 PM

I cant fly fish much due to health but i can still cast a spinning rod with casting bubble and a fly on, or a fly rod with a buzzer under a indicator. So long as i dont have to cast much.
I tie some really simple mostly still water flies. Id name some i make but then id probably be charged with blasphemy for using them lol. Anyway all i got is a super cheap vise which has held up to my use for years. I dont probably make more than a 100/150 flies per year though.
Gotta have a good quality ceramic bobbin and good scissors like has been said above. Something i find i really gotta have to is a threader for loading the bobbin. Its worth the $2.
Dont need whip finisher. Taught myself to hand tie a whip off you tube. So it can be done on the cheap really.
I tie cause i find stuff from stores doesnt seem to last as long as my ties and its kinda fun to do occasionally.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:44 PM

A good read on getting set up to tie flies;
https://lornce.wordpress.com/is-fly-tying-for-you/
Old 04-26-2020, 09:11 PM

More important to learn the bugs on your favorite fishing spot than the flies in a book. Learn about the trout food where you fish and then figure out how to make a copy.
Youtube can teach you pretty much everything you need
Old 05-01-2020, 05:50 PM

Default I’ve started

I had a vice I picked up off of Kijiji last fall. Today I picked up a ceramic bobbin and threaded made by Griffin, a hackle pliers made by griffin, a clearance bin hackle pliers, a griffin hair stacker, a Dr. Slick scissors, a Dr. Slick whip finisher. I have a junk pair of scissors for wire etc. I’m thinking I’ve got enough tools to get started?

Started to by the materials and got totally flummoxed, took a deep breath and put it all back. Decided to pick out 2-3 patterns and start from their. I’ve adopted the KISS going forward with this. I didn’t realize the materials available want to make sure what I buy I use. I’m sure over time I’ll get sucked in and lose control.

BW
Old 05-01-2020, 06:44 PM

You have enough to get going, maybe a hair stacker if you tie deer hair patterns but I used a 35mm film canister when starting.

Picking flies for where you are going to fish is really smart. Get a list of materials for those flies and resist buying material that you "might use". I would suggest starting with a couple of nymphs, a generic streamer like the woolly bugger, and a dry fly if you are fishing streams. I've pulled more big trout out of the Bow on a woolly bugger than any other fly.

The only thing I am not willing to skimp on is hooks, use quality hooks and tie sturdy flies and they will last longer.

To me the activity of fly tying is a rewarding addition to fly fishing, spending whatever amount of time and money you want without it becoming tedious.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
You have enough to get going, maybe a hair stacker if you tie deer hair patterns but I used a 35mm film canister when starting.

Picking flies for where you are going to fish is really smart. Get a list of materials for those flies and resist buying material that you "might use". I would suggest starting with a couple of nymphs, a generic streamer like the woolly bugger, and a dry fly if you are fishing streams. I've pulled more big trout out of the Bow on a woolly bugger than any other fly.

The only thing I am not willing to skimp on is hooks, use quality hooks and tie sturdy flies and they will last longer.

To me the activity of fly tying is a rewarding addition to fly fishing, spending whatever amount of time and money you want without it becoming tedious.
I’ve got a hair stacker. Leaning towards a couple of nymph patterns a dry and a stimulator pattern. I’ve got a couple hundred flies in my boxes looking forward to catching on my home grown.

BW
Old 05-01-2020, 10:42 PM

I also took it! Awesome course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
My wife bought me a fly tying lesson taught by Gary Hanke . I highly recommend it. Very informative and he shares a ton of great fishing tips.