Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2020, 12:12 PM

Well Don talked to the old guy and according to him he never caught any otter in the Pincher creek area or knew any trappers who did back 50-60years. When he worked with the fur buyer back then the only otter they got were trapped Rocky Mountain house north

So as odd as it sounds with otters not being in southern Alberta in the past his experience related to otter and southern Alberta is pretty close to what you are saying

Would have never expected it but seems to be the case
Old 04-19-2020, 07:07 PM

Smoky,

I’d be surprised that man ever figures out nature.

Many years ago I queried a biologist I respected about accuracy. He suggested >70% was nearly as close as possible.

I have seen otters in Yellowstone In 1970 and north of Highway #16 each summer. Never between till 10 years ago. None now.

Sorry to see the cute little critters go. Nope. Had two of the hassle me on Ironside and one try to board my Pontoon @ Swan. Them cute little critters can kill.

Don
Old 04-19-2020, 07:19 PM

Default Otters in the crow

Don I guess it’s all about the part you fish. I have saw them for the last 10 years in the parts I fish. I could also take you out and show you some of the places they hang out off the main river when this covid clears up.
Scott
Old 04-19-2020, 07:23 PM

There is no doubt they are around in southern Alberta these days but it sounds like they expanded their range compared to 60+ Years ago
Old 04-19-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutthroat lover View Post
Don I guess it’s all about the part you fish. I have saw them for the last 10 years in the parts I fish. I could also take you out and show you some of the places they hang out off the main river when this covid clears up.
Scott
As I pointed out, I can only relate my personal observations. I expect there are still some around. Long before I was seeing them, a trapper told me he was seeing them everywhere.
However, there is now a limit on them that only applies in the far NW area of Nordegg. Last I heard the limit was one. Scary!
Friends have seen family groups of 5 Otters on Prairie Creek. None for some time.

Don
Old 05-03-2020, 04:08 PM

Andy Russel spoke and wrote about River Otters in the Waterton drainage.

Andy spun a great tale, almost always based off of the truth.

From his short story "The Otters", one could infer that Otters in this neck of the woods had been extirpated early on in the explorer and trapper era, with some surviving across the divide in BC. This is where the otters in southern Alberta returned from....

Which begs the question, Can you believe an outdoor writer?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."