Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2020, 11:09 AM
Banned

Question Ari 'T Hart Fly Reels

What can yall tell me about these. I'm getting the impression they are legendary collectible pieces. Who's got one? Who want's one? I may have stumbled upon one, nib.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:58 AM

Ari T Hart reels definitely fall into the "collectable" category,,,, As a reel designer, Ari Harts reputation is certainly world renowned.

In 1996, I had the pleasure of spending a couple evenings sharing drinks with Ari while on a Bahamian Out Island bone fishing trip,,, fascinating gentleman to say the least,,, but alas ,,,,back in those days I had just scraped together enough cash to buy the trip and couldn't justify spending that much again on one of his hand made limited production reels!!!!
Old 04-23-2020, 01:45 PM
Banned

Sounds like he's spent some time here in Calgary, and in one youtube i saw him tell about how he got started and built his first reel in 1959 and said it was in a museum in Calgary as well?

I've been given one of the triangle designs, the Edin F-1, it's a beautiful piece. It's never been out of the case it came in, was picked up at a fund raising auction here in Calgary some time ago and sat in it's case for awhile before getting to me. NIB
Old 04-23-2020, 05:31 PM

Can you post some photos of the reel? Never seen a F1 Eden
Old 04-23-2020, 09:55 PM

Thumbs up

I have used a few of them over the years and yes they are smooth and are eye catchers because of their design ...... I have been tempted a few times over the years but have never pulled the trigger ..... I will just have to be content with my Tibors and Abels
Old 04-24-2020, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinL View Post
Can you post some photos of the reel? Never seen a F1 Eden
Can't post so glad you pm'd. You've got pics now, pretty little thing isn't it.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Can't post so glad you pm'd. You've got pics now, pretty little thing isn't it.

Sweet little reel yes. F1's are 3-4wt.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:08 PM
Banned

it does look to be the ideal mountain stream trout reel to me

i've learned a little bit more about mine...it's from the first batch, the first batch Ari didn't polish the fine tooling marks out from the backside of the triangle, so he recalled the first batch to do so and re-anodize...he is a perfectionist.

He also has a connection to Calgary, so some collectors and those that know him are not surprised that this turned up here.

So i think unless i get my $1k ask in near term it's going to stay in my gunsafe as the value of this guy only goes up in time. Should go $750 as is but i know i'm sitting on a NIB never spooled, never seen water, first batch which he corrected most of them.

And let me tell you how hard it is to see these tooling marks lol...i had to take macro pictures and zoom and then and only then could you make it out...so when i say he is a perfectionist i'm not joking. I don't know how anyone could notice this.

Anyway, it's art, value only goes one way. It's a beautiful piece. I like it and i think it sticks around. I'll never use it and i'm not much of a collector but i do think this one an easy yes on it sticks around.

Someone that know's Ari said it will make him unhappy to know there's one out there that hasn't been recalled and 'perfected'.