Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-29-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Clearwater, Elk Creek report?

Saw pics of the Clearwater near the trunk bridge about a week ago. It was low and clear, yet to see the runoff. Wondering if anyone has set eyes on it in the last couple days. I’d like to go spend the day in the elk creek area and where it dumps into the Clearwater bit would hate to make the drive only to find out I’m too late. I’ve only fished elk in the summer but hear it doesn’t get much of a runoff either.

Any reports on this area would be very much appreciated.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:41 AM

Elk will be a write off for quite awhile. I was by there yesterday. It is dirty and high right now and there is still a lot of snow left to melt.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:55 PM

Drove over it today at RMH...muddy but I'd say fishable.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:28 PM

Elk is running high and off color. Lots of ice chunks flowing through right now but its fishable. Clearwater at Elk Flats is low and clear.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:31 PM

Hey I appreciate the info. We didn’t make it as far west as elk creek the other day but fished the Clearwater west of Tay river for the day. Water was alright in spots but couldn’t get any fish. It was definitely nice to get out.

I find I go through this cycle where I finish one season in the fall catching a bunch of fish on dries, seem to be having luck everywhere I go, finish up for the year, cruise on anticipation for more of that in the spring and then go and get humbled my first couple days out trying for browns in dark water during runoff, realize it’s not so easy, rack my brain, plan more trips, wait for my favourite water to open up, crush fish, repeat.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiceeslater View Post
Hey I appreciate the info. We didn’t make it as far west as elk creek the other day but fished the Clearwater west of Tay river for the day. Water was alright in spots but couldn’t get any fish. It was definitely nice to get out.

I find I go through this cycle where I finish one season in the fall catching a bunch of fish on dries, seem to be having luck everywhere I go, finish up for the year, cruise on anticipation for more of that in the spring and then go and get humbled my first couple days out trying for browns in dark water during runoff, realize it’s not so easy, rack my brain, plan more trips, wait for my favourite water to open up, crush fish, repeat.
I hear ya'. I was crushing it to start the spring, but have run into bad high and dirty water recently. Fish count over last 4 outings: 7,8,0,0.

Here i was thinking i crossed some threshold over the fall/spring in terms of skill.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:54 AM

Default Upper Elk is fishable

You could fish the upper Elk. I was there yesterday. Not totally clear, but fishable.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:26 AM

anyone else been out in that area in the last 3-4 days? Im looking to head out there Saturday for the day. Any update would be appreciated.