Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-21-2009, 09:21 AM

Default Greased .22 ammo?

Along with the 3 guns that I have just picked from my Grandparent's house came a full box of .22 shells that say "greased" on them. I have searched the forum and know that older ammo can be used with no problem, but I'm curious if these greased shells would be harmful. Could one of the experts on here tell me if they should be used or not. The box is quite old and the rifle that I have is a Cooey bolt action single shot with "Ace 1" stamped on it.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 PM

I suspect it is just a coating on the bullet. Most .22s' these days have a wax coating. I would keep them as a collectable, bu I think they might go bang when you pull the trigger.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:38 AM

They are all lubed heeled bullets like the 41 Colt etc.............Harold
Old 09-07-2009, 07:48 PM

Graphite style lubes were the order of the day and still are for a lot of .22ammo.
Cat
Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 PM

Our computer's in the shop but I'll post a pic of the box just for interest's sake when we get it back.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Our computer's in the shop but I'll post a pic of the box just for interest's sake when we get it back.
Would assume they're likely either the old C-I-L "Super Clean" or "Whiz Bang", both offered the new and improved greased bullets for easier loading and less fouling(?)
Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 AM

We used to sell some of the greased 22 ammo from our shop 45 years ago. Can't remember the brands but I muched preferred the regular ammo.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Along with the 3 guns that I have just picked from my Grandparent's house came a full box of .22 shells that say "greased" on them. I have searched the forum and know that older ammo can be used with no problem, but I'm curious if these greased shells would be harmful. Could one of the experts on here tell me if they should be used or not. The box is quite old and the rifle that I have is a Cooey bolt action single shot with "Ace 1" stamped on it.
In the late 40'S early 50'S Army Cadets and a rifle (gun) club we used 22 lr ammo fron CIL that was greased.

Bruce.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
If these cartridges are CIL Canuck Greased or CIL Match Greased and if they are clean, i.e. no grit stuck in the grease bullet lubricant, then you have some of the best and most accurate ammo ever made in Canada. When they dropped their 22 long rifle greased in the very early 1970s, target shooters had to start buying the expensive Eley or Winchester Super Match because the plated bullets on the new CIL ammo were very much less accurate than the greased bullets.

These bullets will not be harmfull, in fact they are more kindly to the barrel.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 PM

Here's some pictures of the shells for those of you that are interested. Nice call on the manufacturer guys!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 PM

sick 'em on a shelf those are classics!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewalker View Post
If these cartridges are CIL Canuck Greased or CIL Match Greased and if they are clean, i.e. no grit stuck in the grease bullet lubricant, then you have some of the best and most accurate ammo ever made in Canada. When they dropped their 22 long rifle greased in the very early 1970s, target shooters had to start buying the expensive Eley or Winchester Super Match because the plated bullets on the new CIL ammo were very much less accurate than the greased bullets.

These bullets will not be harmfull, in fact they are more kindly to the barrel.
This is not entirely true, the C.I.L. Pistol Match and Match brands were more accurate than Canuck, but the public was not ready to accept kinetic plated lubed lubed with a carnuba style wax.
Eley club was comparable to Canuck, but ELey Tennex was and is far superior to Canuck - I have this on very good authority from the Sales Promotion manager for C.I.L. at the time, and the National small bore team in the 70's was using Eley Tennex IIRC....
Cat
Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
This is not entirely true, the C.I.L. Pistol Match and Match brands were more accurate than Canuck, but the public was not ready to accept kinetic plated lubed lubed with a carnuba style wax.
Eley club was comparable to Canuck, but ELey Tennex was and is far superior to Canuck - I have this on very good authority from the Sales Promotion manager for C.I.L. at the time, and the National small bore team in the 70's was using Eley Tennex IIRC....
Cat
WOW!!!! C-I-L Pistol Match, Had Completely forgotten About Those, They Were The Best!!!....But Expensive In Those Days, Don't Want To Say What The price Difference Was, But As A Kid, I Always Shot "Super Clean"...The "Rich Guys", Shot The Pistol Match...Great Memories!!!
Hal
Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
WOW!!!! C-I-L Pistol Match, Had Completely forgotten About Those, They Were The Best!!!....But Expensive In Those Days, Don't Want To Say What The price Difference Was, But As A Kid, I Always Shot "Super Clean"...The "Rich Guys", Shot The Pistol Match...Great Memories!!!
Hal
Yup, C.I.L made great ammo in the 60's, my C.I.L. target rifles shot a lot of Canuck, then Match and Eley Tennex ( once I could shoot to the ammo's potential!)
Cat
Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Yup, C.I.L made great ammo in the 60's, my C.I.L. target rifles shot a lot of Canuck, then Match and Eley Tennex ( once I could shoot to the ammo's potential!)
Cat
Did They Have Smokeless Powders In The 60's?????...WOW!!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Did They Have Smokeless Powders In The 60's?????...WOW!!!!
Yup, and our house was the first on the block to have a TV!!
Cat
Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Hal
We weren't rich, but I had the good fortune to be born into a family who's bread winner was a C.I.L. rep - didn't know how expensive factory stuff was until I moved away from home!
Cat
Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Yup, and our house was the first on the block to have a TV!!
Cat
..Just joking...Good Luck This Fall...Enjoy Reading your Informative Posts..
Hal
Old 09-09-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
..Just joking...Good Luck This Fall...Enjoy Reading your Informative Posts..
Hal
Right back at ya - actually it was the rich kid down the street who got the TV first!!
Cat