Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Vexilar

Default Sinking Line

Looking for a fairly fast sinking fly line not sure what to use suggestions would be nice.

Vex..
Old 05-19-2007, 12:33 AM
drteith

Your line should match the weight of your rod and reel so if you are fishing a 6 weight rod you'll want to buy a 6 weight line. As far as the sinking lines the "type" will tell you how fast it sinks. For example, the cortland "type 6" will sink approx. 6 inches per second. That's a fast full sink line. The higher the "type", the faster it sinks.

Cortland, Scientific Anglers and Rio all make a good line. One thing I should mention though...

Don't cheap out on your line. This is the one area you want to spend good money. A reel pretty much just holds the line, even a $70.00 rod will cast fairly well but if you get a crappy line, you won't enjoy the experience. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 05-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Salvelinus

I'd like to second the advice about not cheaping out on the sinking line.... or any line for that matter. More expensive sinking lines, like the sci. anglers mastery series are density compensated, allowing you to be much more in control of the fly and get much better hooksets.
If you have a lighter rod though, like a 5 or 4 wt, don't be afraid to "overline" it by 1 or 2 weights, especially if it's a fast action rod. This is because the lighter line weights generally only come in slow-intermediate sinking rates, usually .5-1 inches per second sink. I find these slow sink lines useless as a floating line with a splitshot works just as well. I have a type 3 (3ips) 6 wt mastery on my 5 wt and it's pretty much the lake wonderline for me.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Vexilar

Thanks for the replies I know the route I will take now, when it comes to fishing I cheap out on nothing..

Vex