Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Which item would you prefer overall
Game Cart 20 19.42%
Slead 63 61.17%
Other 20 19.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2019, 05:49 PM

I use my game cart twice every year.........I use it to move my partner’s planters from the step to the deck and back again

One time I used it to move a rock.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:44 PM

Primarily, I've used teenagers. Big, strong ones. But they seem to be harder to find these days, so I do 'the gutless' cleaning method and slide out the meat in game-bags on a little, cheap, plastic sled from the Dollar Store. The sled's only about 3 ft long and fits over my day-pack like a turtle shell. It's got a bit of a 'keel' so it tracks much better in the snow or dirt than those old 'Crazy Carpet' plastic sheets. It weighs nothing, so I carry it on my pack when I leave the truck, - no need for a return trip to fetch it when I down an animal.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:20 AM

another sled vote here , got my cow moose out . I have a quad but yet to be Allowed to use it . Used landowners quad and others , always a pleasure if possible
Old 10-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpack View Post
I love(?) quartering and packing when I have to but you guys bone it out completely...do you hang the pack?
Lay the meat out to cool when field dressing, then hang in my walk in cooker in game bags. Never had an issue. Even when it's hot, its surprising how much meat cools in the shade in a breeze.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Location: In the woods, but close enough that I can swing by Cabelas once in a while.
Default +1 for sleds

I tried both, prefer the sled hands down. I'm sure most of the advantages to sleds have been covered by others, like just slipping under fences and floating over muskeg.
I did find that the UFA calf sled pulled WAY harder on grass than the Pelican (Canadian tire) or the Viking brand ( got it in Montana)
And they fit in a rear hitch rack I have. Works well on my Jeep for hauling critters out from the back yard, or if you have a small vehicle with a hitch like a Keep or Rav4.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:36 PM

The Pelican Trek 60 is a great sled. Perfect for a one man pull or two man if really loaded with an elk or moose. Fits a full gutted deer and gear real easy. I tied on different rope and also put two bolts through the molded slots lower on the sled and this give a stronger tying points and helps to pull up the front of sled for deeper snow. A little spray silicone and she slides nice and easy.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 AM

One concern with de boneing a moose or elk these days with large number of grizz getting more dangerous. We like to get our larger downed animal out of bush fast to not have to fight off a grizz. Also early in season lot more flys can lay their eggs on more pieces of meat. Lastly probably much more meat and blood odour in the wind for grizz to zero in on your kill.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Primarily, I've used teenagers. Big, strong ones. But they seem to be harder to find these days, so I do 'the gutless' cleaning method and slide out the meat in game-bags on a little, cheap, plastic sled from the Dollar Store. The sled's only about 3 ft long and fits over my day-pack like a turtle shell. It's got a bit of a 'keel' so it tracks much better in the snow or dirt than those old 'Crazy Carpet' plastic sheets. It weighs nothing, so I carry it on my pack when I leave the truck, - no need for a return trip to fetch it when I down an animal.
Hey Thumper,

Do you happen to have a photo/image of this sled for us to see? Thanks.

WeaselBeard

Tags
game cart, sled