Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2022, 07:51 PM

Default Flu Shot

I’m 67 , and have been advised to get a flu shot , I have never had the flu shot ever , hear from people how crappy they felt for weeks after getting the shot , what are your thoughts
Old 01-12-2022, 08:08 PM

Got a seasonal influenza shot every year since 2009. Never once felt any effects.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:11 PM

I got pneumonia in 2008, was recommended to get flu shot and have had it every years since. After effects vary from nothing to sore and tired for a day or two. Have not been really ill with flu since then, a few mild cases.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-12-2022, 08:14 PM

I take my folks for flu shots every year for the past 20 years. Most years nothing wrong with them. Some years they might be sore or tired for a day or 2. Even when everyone in the house gets sick from the flu, they still get it but it is very mild compared to the rest of us.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:18 PM

You may feel this one.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:33 PM

Have got the shot quite a number of times over the years. Never any ill effects yet
Old 01-12-2022, 08:48 PM

Ive had the seasonal flu shot for the last 15 years and never felt any side effects like I have with other vaccinations such as Shingrix, etc.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:02 PM

I got the pneumonia vaccine and shingrix at the same time, and that knocked me in my butt. The flu vaccine has never bothered me in the least. If it does bother you it won’t be that bad, you’ll feel tired and worn out for a day or two.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:17 PM

i got it 2 months ago, zero side effects.
i get it cause i have a kid in school and he always seems bring home a bug, id rather have a mild flu then full blown wanting to die flu, and the flu hits me harder with my copd, better safe then sorry.
better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:17 PM

Thumbs up

I have had a flu shot at least for the last 20 years and have never had any adverse effects.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:18 PM

I had no side effects from the vaccines, other than a sore arm for several days
Old 01-12-2022, 09:28 PM

Wife got viral meningitis from the flu a number of years ago. She was laid out for almost two weeks. Thought she was going to meet her maker for a day or two. We make sure we get the shot every year since. Small piece of mind and the symptoms are generally mild as suggested by others. Sore arm, maybe tired for a few days.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:26 AM

I have had the flu shot every year since 1995 when I went to work in Central Asia, usually I am tired and draggy for a couple days, this year nothing, maybe it was watered down

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:37 AM

I’ve only had a couple, I never noticed anything except for the normal slight after-effect of feeling that a needle poked you, only noticeable if you concentrate on it at that. That said, I generally never got the flu much anyways, can’t recall being sick that way for the longest time.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:45 AM

I started getting the flu shot 12 years ago to protect my mother, she passed from covid a little over a year ago, but I decided to keep getting it and got it this year with my booster Pfizer shot and never had any side affects.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:06 AM

No ill feelings, from any shots this year, flu or covid, good thing Im all vaxed up
Old 01-13-2022, 07:12 AM

Have had the flu shot for the last 5 years. Sore arm and a bit tired the next day, Small price to pay in my opinion.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-13-2022, 08:01 AM

Default sore arm

Hi: I got the flu shot a couple of weeks ago. The injection spot was sore for 2 days.

Hoopi
Old 01-13-2022, 08:22 AM

Don't hesitate, get it.
I've been getting the flu shot for 20+ years. I always experience the mild muscle ache at the injection site the next day, feels like a localized bruise. Occasionally I have experienced a day of tiredness and generally lethargy, but I have not had a bad case of the flu in all this time.
If you haven't had one recently, ask your doctor about getting the pneumonia vaccination as well.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-13-2022, 08:56 AM

My colleague's brother is an epidemiologist. He told her that all the strains they put in this year's potion was a complete miss, worst he's ever seen. Just thought I'd add this. It happens.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:59 AM

Haven't had the flu shot since grade 3. Haven't had the flu since grade 3 either.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My colleague's brother is an epidemiologist. He told her that all the strains they put in this year's potion was a complete miss, worst he's ever seen. Just thought I'd add this. It happens.
For clarification: by "miss", does he mean they created this years vaccine for the wrong strains of influenza that are making the rounds? That's always a bit of a guessing game.
Or, did he mean something else?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-13-2022, 09:08 AM

Flu shots are a guess at what the prevalent strain will be that season, based on what shows up in the southern hemisphere , sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. I never bother. Sounds like Covid, doesn't it ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-13-2022, 09:10 AM

I get a shot every year since the flu of 98 never had any side effects I suspect the only ones that get side effects are those expecting them.

The flu I had in 1998 was much worse than a poke in the arm.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
For clarification: by "miss", does he mean they created this years vaccine for the wrong strains of influenza that are making the rounds? That's always a bit of a guessing game.
Or, did he mean something else?
The strains of flu going around are not the ones they made the vaccine for. That's what I was told.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:35 AM

Ive never had the flu vaccination,and would always get the flu at least once a year,untill about 7 years i started taking one garlic pill per day,and i havent had a flu since,and i have COPD.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:17 PM

Never been sick after a flu shot. No one in the whole family has ever been sick after a flu shot. Occasionally maybe a bit of soreness around the area.

However that said… nothing stops you from having already contracted a bad flu right at the time you got vaccinated. Also the flu shots protect you from three of the worst variants. Nothing stops you from getting a milder variant.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-13-2022, 01:33 PM

Haven’t had a cold and had one flu in 20 years. Never had a flu shot. Knock on wood.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:34 PM

I've had it a few times when the employer brought them into the office and it was handy. No adverse effects that I can recall. Haven't had the flu in many, many years regardless. On another note, I got my Covid booster shot today. Four more boosters and I get my free pizza!
Old 01-13-2022, 05:41 PM

Post 2020 & 2021, I find myself mysteriously flu shot hesitant..