Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-11-2023, 01:55 PM

Default Sturgeon Fishing - STS

Afternoon,

I知 heading out on my first Sturgeon trip ever with STS. According to someone I知 going with, this is a pink salmon run year and these are the best for big fish. Wondering if anyone has any reports on the general size of the fish being caught.

Thanks
Tony
Old 09-11-2023, 02:43 PM

STS has been around a long time you should do well

The pink run can be good and bad as sometimes they are so stuffed they just lay on your bait and not bite. This can result in fowl hooked fish. The are often light biting when they are stuffed. The big fish are always around but September can be good in general

The general size likely has not changed much most fish will be in the 4-7ft range. If you break 9ft you are getting into something nice but double digits fish are always a possibility
Old 09-11-2023, 03:00 PM

You are going to have a great adventure, best of luck to you and your crew.

In 2014, we pulled the largest out of the Fraser that year on our first trip. Needless to say we have returned and enjoyed the Sturgeon fishing with some amazing fish. I was blessed again in 2021 to haul in another giant, this one was in the salt up stream from the Mission bridge in October.

I always thought the bigger the bait, well the larger the fish. Both that I experienced were caught on small hook Roe bag for bait.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
Afternoon,

I知 heading out on my first Sturgeon trip ever with STS. According to someone I知 going with, this is a pink salmon run year and these are the best for big fish. Wondering if anyone has any reports on the general size of the fish being caught.

Thanks
Tony
When are you going?

the best time is after the pink run when the banks are covered in rotting salmon.

Not so much before or during the run.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
When are you going?

the best time is after the pink run when the banks are covered in rotting salmon.

Not so much before or during the run.
Everyone has different opinions on that one

Personally I don稚 like when there is an over abundance of dead salmon for reasons listed in my first post.

My Dads old tagging records backed my opinion on but his records also influenced it too

In the end you can catch them year round if you pay attention and switch baits. September is a good time of year pinks or not

Last edited by Smoky buck; 09-12-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
Afternoon,

Thanks
Tony
Hey Tony I would contact your guiding service, they have real-time eyes on and know exactly what痴 up on the river.
All I can say is your in for a real treat.

Good luck and post up after your adventure.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-14-2023, 09:16 AM

We were going for year痴 September 15-16 the fishing is amazing for big fish and numbers slowest day was 6 this was over a six year period
Old 09-14-2023, 08:50 PM

My son and myself went with River Monster Adventures out of Lillooet. 2 days 5 landed and two broke off. Biggest one 11 ft then 8'3", 7'3", 6 and 5 ft. An adventure you will never forget. We were sore for 2 days. Enjoy your trip.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:20 AM

Default Sept 23-24 Trip Date

We are heading out next weekend. Obviously, super excited. Hopefully I have a few pics to share when I知 back.

Also, first guided trip of any kind. Looking to learn as much as possible for Salmon as well.

Thanks
Tony