Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-23-2023, 03:42 PM

Default WMU 212 Elk

For the second year in a row I have purchased an bow Elk tag for WMU212. Last year I spotted a royal bull on the top of a hill which was encouraging, but I could never locate any cows. This year I thought I would try again, but so far all my scouting has yielded nothing in 212. Closest herd I've found is in 312.

Are there Elk in 212? Anyone want to partner up? I'm a fairly new bow hunter, so open to finding a mentor....
Old 09-24-2023, 07:21 AM

Lots of elk in 212 , but not lots of permission....keep looking , good luck.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Lots of elk in 212 , but not lots of permission....keep looking , good luck.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Second this.

-J.Paul Getty
Old 09-25-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshot View Post
Second this.

ranchers will complain of elk peeing/destroying bails and crops, but wont allow hunters cause they have had bad experience.
Lots of elk just generally pretty quiet unless its middle of night.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:48 AM

How many sections of land do you have permission on? The amount of permission you have in 212 pretty much defines your success rate.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
How many sections of land do you have permission on? The amount of permission you have in 212 pretty much defines your success rate.
That number is currently 0 since I didn't know where the elk were I have not approached anyone for permission.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhengen View Post
That number is currently 0 since I didn't know where the elk were I have not approached anyone for permission.
Start getting permission, the elk go all over that zone. As others have said the hard part is permission, once you get that the elk will eventually show up.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:16 PM

I think you need to locate some animals first before you go looking for permission. It's like setting up your decoys in a random pea field hoping some birds might come in.
Old 09-26-2023, 11:38 AM

you are lost.... others are trying to point you in the right direction. You just dont get it....what's the point of finding animals on land you will never get permission on???

maybe try basket weaving? might be more along your lines of activity
Old 09-26-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Start getting permission, the elk go all over that zone. As others have said the hard part is permission, once you get that the elk will eventually show up.
Exactly - pick a place the looks promising and start asking.

Once you start getting to know a landowner or two, you start to get to know the community more and more, which leads to more potential permissions. Sometimes they'll even give you tips as to where they are, where they go, etc.

Building that rapport will go a long ways. Takes time, though. Asking during harvest season isn't typically as fruitful because they are typically very busy.

Also, in areas where bale depredation is an issue, there is a compensation program for lost feed. More information is here: https://www.alberta.ca/ungulate-dama...n-compensation

One of the recommendations for reducing loss is to allow access for hunting. If I recall correctly, it used to be that this was a requirement for eligibility to make claims under the program; I don't think that's the case anymore, though.

The reason I mention this is that you can contact the local Fish and Wildlife office. They may have a list of landowners in the program who are more welcoming for hunters. That would be a good starting point, at least.
Old 09-26-2023, 06:25 PM

There is a grazing lease 212, Sinclair Smith, you can sign up for in the spring. Lots there, also a few NCC properties also sign up for. Lots of lease in 312, less elk but they are there and a bigger zone. Try late season tag 212 landowners are more open to permission and all primitive weapons. Elk also move lots so a lot of those 212 elk are out west still.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
Elk also move lots so a lot of those 212 elk are out west still.
That is true - There are two areas that I hunt that seem to be worlds apart, and it turns out that elk from the one area will show up in the other area later in the season, according to the local bio.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Also, in areas where bale depredation is an issue, there is a compensation program for lost feed. More information is here: https://www.alberta.ca/ungulate-dama...n-compensation

One of the recommendations for reducing loss is to allow access for hunting. If I recall correctly, it used to be that this was a requirement for eligibility to make claims under the program; I don't think that's the case anymore, though.

The reason I mention this is that you can contact the local Fish and Wildlife office. They may have a list of landowners in the program who are more welcoming for hunters. That would be a good starting point, at least.
Thanks for the information. I have contacted AFSC to inquire about getting some landowner information. I also contacted F&W and they sent me a link to ab-conservation.com

I did have a good chat with a landowner I met while on a scouting trip, and am hoping to build some rapport.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:37 PM

Great to hear man!! Goodluck!

Tags
bow, elk, wmu 212