Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-29-2018, 02:55 PM

Default Atv with plastic gun case

I recently flipped my buddies Yamaha quad ( that is another story) but he had a plastic gun case attached to his rear carrier. The case then went forward and downward towards the area where you put your foot. The quad was on its side with my leg trapped under it. I could not get my foot out as the plastic gun case had it jammed between the quad and the ground. I had a buddy who was able to get me out but if I had been by myself I would still be there. My warning is to put the guncase somewhere where you cannot be trapped by it. Also wear sturdy leather boots to take the weight of the machine. Leave your boots laces loose so you can pull your foot out of the boot if need be .
Old 07-29-2018, 06:25 PM

Crazy day hey, glad your buddy was able to help you, I WILL LOOK AT MINE, but no crazy driving on my side but accidents are just that, accident always cause crazy mishaps, glad you made it out, Nimrod
Old 07-29-2018, 06:59 PM

Never did like those scabbard holders that have the case sticking up where the low branches are.
I've always tarp strapped it on the front rack so it has some give and can move somewhat if in a wreck.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:48 PM

Can be a pain, but I like to pack my rifle on my back. I feel I’m still nimble enough to hop off a quad if it’s going over. There is at least a chance that I could land well enough to preserve my rifle. I can’t bear the thought of a quad rolling on top of my gun.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:10 PM
Banned

I realize the sled is different than a quad but I found reversing the way the scabbards are usually mounted worked a lot better on my sled. Lower profile, foot area clear and easier to remove the rifle from the scabbard when getting off the sled.
STANDARD WAY

Old 07-30-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I realize the sled is different than a quad but I found reversing the way the scabbards are usually mounted worked a lot better on my sled. Lower profile, foot area clear and easier to remove the rifle from the scabbard when getting off the sled.
STANDARD WAY

X2. I reversed my scabbard on my quad as well years ago and it's worked great. Can enter/exit from both sides, only thing you have to be aware of is the back portion when crossing trenches/logs etc but I haven't had mine touch anything yet under the scenarios I've put it through.....
Old 07-30-2018, 01:37 PM

I thought about the consequences of that as well. Potential damage to the rifle was my main issue. So I never install the keeper pin when under way. That would allow the scabbard to move inside the mount. Hopefully I would notice movement and be able top stop before anything serous would occur.
I have since stopped using the scabbard for my scoped rifles and only use it for the shotguns. My .22 is too short for it and the scope keeps getting knocked back and has had the back rings slide off on more than one occasion. Hate for something similar to happen with a big game opportunity.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:27 PM

I like mine up front
Old 08-01-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post

I like mine up front
Do you find the rifles get in the way of the handlebars when steering?
Old 08-01-2018, 06:36 PM

I quit using mine years ago, now I just strap a soft case and some padding onto my front rack. I guess in a roll over situation my rifle might be more prone to damage, but honestly I think bouncing a rifle around in those hard cases is worse for wear and tear. Have more than a few scopes with the paint wore off of them from riding in the hard case.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:43 PM

No I can turn both ways and no interference
Old 10-15-2018, 05:56 AM

The percieved correct way also puts alot of leverage on the case with rifle butt up that high- looking at the snow machine. Almost like an upside down clock pendulum.