Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2018, 07:34 PM

Default Advice/opinions needed on motorcycle

So I’m looking for advice on a new motorcycle. Been riding for a couple years now and looking for the perfect bike for me. Started on a klr650, went to a Honda Magna v65, now have both a Versys 650 and a 2000 VFR800. Like both bikes but think I want something that’s a cross between the 2 but with way more power, especially down low torque. Has to be suitable for some 2 up and have decent wind protection. I like the fun factor on the Versys and the easy sporty cruising of the vfr, but neither ticks all the boxes for me. And it’s the right time of year to buy. Let me know what y’all think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 09:48 PM

VFR800 is a pretty torquey, fast bike that's relatively comfortable. If that isn't fast enough for you, you'll obviously need more displacement but not too much weight, otherwise you're just cancelling out the extra power.

Aside from one of the naked bikes, you're going to find a true touring bike to be too slow, in all probability.

Yamaha VMAX? Incredibly torquey bike and somewhat laid back for cruising but will definitely move when you ask it to.

Maybe the Yamaha FJR1300? It's definitely more of a touring bike with a more upright seat and windshield, but it's also 500cc more than the VFR. I haven't ridden one but it has a big engine, less weight than a Goldwing but still looks moderately sporty. Alternatively, Kawi makes a 1400cc touring bike (Concours 14) that's similar in concept but looks chunkier.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:03 PM

Take a look at some of the BMW bikes...
Old 10-14-2018, 10:49 PM

What's your budget?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:04 AM

It’s been a while since I rode a bike but have a look at the triumph trophy. As far as a sport/touring bike goes they were pretty good the last time I rode one.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:26 AM

Yeah I’ve thought of a vmax but bad handling. And I don’t want a cruiser position sitting on my tailbone, prefer to be leaned forward a bit.

Yes there’s some torque in the vfr but not a pop the front wheel in the air at 3-4K rpm and gone kinda torque.

Don’t really wanna spend more than 4-5g, which will get me quite a bit at this time of year I’m hoping ?

Old 10-15-2018, 08:03 AM

Someone mentioned an FJR... I've never ridden one but I've ridden with them. There's a reason they're known as a fast joy ride. Sport touring with a decent fairing and 2 up seat. Should be able to find a used one in your price range
Old 10-15-2018, 04:14 PM

Default bike

Older blackbird is a nice bike. New either Busa or kawasaki ZX-14. All are more comfy than a true sport bike. Layed back power till you want to hit it hard.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:45 PM

Suzuki Bandit 1250 might be what your looking for. I have a 07 and it is has good power from the bottom all the way up through the gears.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:08 PM

Have considered the blackbird, but guessing I’ll find it too much of a forward leaning riding position. If there was one close by on kijiji I’d check it out for sure.

Bandit 1250 is also on my radar. Same thing again wish there was one close by I could text drive.

Pretty much stuck on an efi bike I think. Keep me away from carb hassle. And I’ll add that reliability is key to any purchase. Like working on bikes to customize and maintain but not fixing. Have heard lots good about the bandit, will def check that out if I can find one nearby to ride.