Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 PM

Default Who's hunting primitive, wood and wood

I just finished rereading a copy of primitive archer while out camping and an article about what is real bow hunting. It was very clear that using a compound bow was not bow hunting, and they were lumped in with crossbows. The article even went so far as to state that they should have their own record book, and not be considered bow kills, but archery kills, using an arrow. To be a bow hunter that bow needed to be a recurve or long bow, and drawn with a single string. They also separated traditional and primitive, and varying degrees of each.
So, back to the original question, who is hunting with wood and wood this year? Wood bow and wood arrows. I won't go as far as home made wood arrows, but commercial wood shafts are ok, so are synthetic strings.
I'm hunting solely this year with my bamboo backed Osage longbow and cedar shafts with Bodkin broad heads. Next year will be yew bow, salmon berry shafts and hand knapped points. Shafts and points are done, bow is 60% done.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:15 PM

Saxon Pope would be proud
Old 09-13-2018, 09:49 AM

Default WOOD is WOOD

Well as the name says old longbow and cedar shafts made by me only diff is i use the eskimo blade zawicky razor sharp and chisel tip. Did the new tech but the old stuff is just so much more like bow hunting for me. Longest shot would be 30 yards and spot and stalk for me. Good luck this season.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
I just finished rereading a copy of primitive archer while out camping and an article about what is real bow hunting. It was very clear that using a compound bow was not bow hunting, and they were lumped in with crossbows. The article even went so far as to state that they should have their own record book, and not be considered bow kills, but archery kills, using an arrow. To be a bow hunter that bow needed to be a recurve or long bow, and drawn with a single string. They also separated traditional and primitive, and varying degrees of each.
So, back to the original question, who is hunting with wood and wood this year? Wood bow and wood arrows. I won't go as far as home made wood arrows, but commercial wood shafts are ok, so are synthetic strings.
I'm hunting solely this year with my bamboo backed Osage longbow and cedar shafts with Bodkin broad heads. Next year will be yew bow, salmon berry shafts and hand knapped points. Shafts and points are done, bow is 60% done.
Sorta a veiled insult at a lot of Members here using compound bows...... so do you agree with the article?
Old 10-08-2018, 01:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Nice to see the traditional shooters out poking around the deer woods.

Archery tackle is archery tackle from horizontal to vertical, a bow is a bow is a bow some just have advantages.

Enjoy the hunt.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Sorta a veiled insult at a lot of Members here using compound bows...... so do you agree with the article?
No more of an insult than many compound hunters here have towards crossbow hunters. I think a time may come when advanced compound bows may see limits in "bow season" as opposed to "archery" season. We already see it in many jurisdictions in regards to muzzle loaders. Some places no telescopic optics, no I lines, and in PA, flintlock specific seasons, no percussion. Just saying before you jump on your high horse with your preferred method to hunt someone might be on a higher horse!
Old 10-08-2018, 11:36 AM

I have hunted with a stick bow and wood shafts, I also uses composite or aluminum shafts sometimes, since I was 12 years old.
I tried joining a few special interest groups ( traditional archery and muzzle loading sites) as well as others but could not handle thee elitism and snobbery of many of the members let alone the overall " mine is the only way " attitude.
Archery is what it is and I have to agree with 58thecat
Cat
Old 10-08-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have hunted with a stick bow and wood shafts, I also uses composite or aluminum shafts sometimes, since I was 12 years old.
I tried joining a few special interest groups ( traditional archery and muzzle loading sites) as well as others but could not handle thee elitism and snobbery of many of the members let alone the overall " mine is the only way " attitude.
Archery is what it is and I have to agree with 58thecat
Cat
As long as a person is getting out and enjoying themselves that's all that counts.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
As long as a person is getting out and enjoying themselves that's all that counts.
Exactly that is what it is all about !
I was sharing a blind with two semi auto shooters this weekend and me with my muzzle loader and BP cartridge guns - then Saturday evening hunting with a compound shooter with my stick bow, it’s all good!
Cat
Old 10-08-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
No more of an insult than many compound hunters here have towards crossbow hunters. I think a time may come when advanced compound bows may see limits in "bow season" as opposed to "archery" season. We already see it in many jurisdictions in regards to muzzle loaders. Some places no telescopic optics, no I lines, and in PA, flintlock specific seasons, no percussion. Just saying before you jump on your high horse with your preferred method to hunt someone might be on a higher horse!
So you did come looking for an argument.....roger that. You might try the General Discussion area, lots of bickering over there.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
So you did come looking for an argument.....roger that. You might try the General Discussion area, lots of bickering over there.
.no I actually came to see if there were any other wood bow and arrow hunters here. Same as last year I asked who was hunting with longbow or recurve. Lots were but only one young fellow was successful. That's why this section is called archery discussion. This thread has been up for quite a while and you're the only one who took it in an off direction.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:38 PM

I just started hunting with a bare bow and wood shafts. Small game that is. I still use my compound for larger critters, but when I'm more proficient with the traditional bow I'll be looking at big game. I found this video last year and it's helped me tremendously. For you hunters who already know the pointy end of the arrow I'd fast forward to the aiming styles. I never knew about the fixed crawl method and it's really changed the game for me.

https://youtu.be/1E1vKkSSoNs
Old 10-08-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
.no I actually came to see if there were any other wood bow and arrow hunters here. Same as last year I asked who was hunting with longbow or recurve. Lots were but only one young fellow was successful. That's why this section is called archery discussion. This thread has been up for quite a while and you're the only one who took it in an off direction.
You titled the thread "Who's hunting primitive, wood and wood?"

How does this information assist with answering that question?

Oh and to answer the question, I hunt with both compound and trad.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:12 PM

Traditional is not necessarily primitive. I shoot both traditional and primitive. I have a bear recurve and a checkmate beaver creek longbow. The beaver creek I shoot with carbon arrows. I also have 2 self bows and a bamboo backed Osage longbow from Pete W. The wood bow and cedar arrows are primitive, the wood and Fiberglas longbow and carbon arrows are traditional. Both fun to use but the wood longbow I definitely am less consistent with. Shots are limited to 20m or less for me.