Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 02:33 PM

Default Thoughts on “Big Buck” contests

Through the evaluation of my hunting career/experiences I’ve had many thoughts on Big Buck contests and there place in our sport. I’m curious what other people think of them good bad or the ugly results of having them. I’m talking about public ones not your friendly neighbor type.

For the record I’m not a fan of them from what I’ve seen and discovered in the field over the years.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:52 PM

I am on the fence. On one side it gives guys motivation to hold off for the older larger deer, pursue or hunt I guess one certain animal and won’t give up until they have that specific animal. The other side I think some people take it in the wrong way, they need that “fame” to hold the largest deer and will do what ever means possible to achieve it - trespass or shoot from the road ect.

I don’t have facts to back up either differences but those are my initial thoughts. For the most part I don’t participate in it so I’m not sure how’s it evolved or changed the sport so I’d have to vote for it as I wouldn’t turn my back away from something someone of the same sport enjoys.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Banned

whenever we post pictures of just big bucks we ruin it for new hunters.

yes i'm happy when i shoot a big buck; no i'm not happier than when i shoot another animal.

we're raising expectations to an impractical level. i know when i first started i thought there was a big buck around every corner and in every field. but now i'm going on my third year of not shooting a buck at all waiting for the right one to come along and enjoying the hunt.

but yes i've shot piles of 130-140 bucks and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
... i've shot piles of 130-140 bucks and there is nothing wrong with that.
That's my story too ^^^
Old 10-03-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
whenever we post pictures of just big bucks we ruin it for new hunters.

yes i'm happy when i shoot a big buck; no i'm not happier than when i shoot another animal.

we're raising expectations to an impractical level. i know when i first started i thought there was a big buck around every corner and in every field. but now i'm going on my third year of not shooting a buck at all waiting for the right one to come along and enjoying the hunt.

but yes i've shot piles of 130-140 bucks and there is nothing wrong with that.
That’s a great point. I’ve shot lots of smaller bucks for meat but not bothered to post it here. If I get a deer this year, I’ll post it no matter how big the antlers are. Some of my most memorable hunts were smaller bucks. More so than big deer.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:32 PM

My most memorable hunts were with family, filling the freezer and enjoying our time a field. No monsters were taken, but the stories and memories I will never forget.

Since the passing of my best partner, my mentor and father, well those inches on the wall really don't have the same meaning as he was not there...

I think when our group places higher standards than the hunt itself, we miss the heritage side of our passion. Contests don't do anything for this guy.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:43 PM

My biggest mule deer to date did not go down like how i would have hoped.
Yet my last deer I took was in no means a book trophy animal, but after getting in the truck from dressing and loading deer to find my 1 1/2 yr old twin daughters who were yelling and crying and cussing out the world because dad had them in there seats for 3 hours. But they did get ahold of my big county map and managed to turn it into confetti. At 9yrs old now they still think its pretty funny.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:38 PM

I've always been a meat hunter. I was ecstatic this year to take a 2 year old bull moose because I know it's going to be really tasty. Having said that, if a nice big buck were to come into my scope it would be delightful too, and with pressure off of filling freezer, I know there is a big 5x5 typical WT where I hunt that I'm really going to put the effort in to meet in November. I got a really good muley a couple years ago, 183' and love the Euro we did, but he sure wasn't that edible.

Anyway, if a guy puts in the time, especially a new hunter, and puts meat in the freezer in an ethical way, does the work, humane harvest.....as far as I'm concerned it's a trophy. Sometimes I think too much emphasis is put on the Big Rack, (not to take away from the effort required to get one), but it spoils it for those who really just love the outdoors, and the idea of hunting and harvesting and providing for their kids (which has always been my motive)....so making a competition of it doesn't turn my crank much.

Also, lots of guys who really like to hunt, and love the outdoors, just don't have the time from work and providing and paying bills, to put in the time to get a Trophy (unless they are lucky)....so again, it puts their efforts and success of taking a nice fat cow elk, or dry doe, or small buck, into a negative light. And it shouldn't.

Just my thoughts.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-03-2018, 06:03 PM

I never did hunt for antlers although I guided fir years up here.
I do attend our wild game awards and potluck supper whenever I can however , and enjoy it
I used to get a kick out of guys who figured they were the better hunter because they shot a big animal - my answer has always been the same , I wasn’t aware that hunting was a competition!
Cat
Old 10-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Default Contest?

I would consider all that the bucks and bulls I’ve harvested in the past to be “big”, although only one comes close to being worthy of being entered in a contest. The real contest should be between a part time predator (me) and full time prey(buck/bull/boar/whatever), and getting close enough for a certain kill shot (not sniping from the next WMU). THAT’S a contest!
My 2 cents...
CranePete
Old 10-03-2018, 06:46 PM

The mortality rate of a dead deer is no different, big or small, fill your boots to whatever brings you satisfaction.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:29 PM

Default Thoughts on big buck

I think they are retarded!!! Any time you put up cash for wildlife, the results are usually a disaster. Competition to kill isn’t what hunting is about.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I think they are retarded!!! Any time you put up cash for wildlife, the results are usually a disaster. Competition to kill isn’t what hunting is about.
You get 1 tag. Doesn’t matter if you enter it in a contest or not. 1 tag. It’s not as if contestants are issued an extra tag compared to non participants.

Last edited by Talking moose; 10-03-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Banned

Hunting for the 'big one" and entering them in competitions is not for everyone, but is popular and desirable for many. I have shot a few bucks on the larger size but have never entered, mostly because I just can not be bothered but my hunting buddies and I will have a "friendly" competition every year.

I did fish competitively for over 25 years learned a lot and enjoyed it. When some of the bigger entry fee/payouts came into it, quit a bit of the camaraderie seemed to disappear so I stopped participating.

The deer population in our area declined substantially about 8-10 years and although it is recovering it is still fairly low so I did not then or now shoot does anymore.

As far as competition goes I enjoy it for a lot of things and if you can't understand competition for hunting or fishing no one can really explain it to you , you are either have a competitive nature or you do not, it is not good or bad just the way it is.

I have been hunting for about 45 years or so and have shot quite a few nice bucks, now I let the younger ones grow and usually set my goal for about a 150 or so. Health does not allow me to walk much or hunt alone any more so most of my hunting is confined to stand/blind hunting but I enjoy that so it is just fine with me.

I have been fortunate to be able to hunt regularly with 2 of my 4 sons and have taken many pictures over the years. These memories are my biggest trophies and I look at the new and old pics all throughout the year, still remember many of the hunts just from a pic or two.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
What if you’re in a competition with yourself? What if your idea of a successful hunt is shooting a bigger buck/bull/boar than your last?

I don’t hold out for a huge bull elk or a huge bull moose, the smaller ones offer plenty of tablerare. My passion is outsmarting mature whitetailwhile I’m in the woods. I’ve never entered a big buck contest in any public venue but I do enjoy going to them and seeing the trophies.

Because of my way of thinking I won’t shoot a buck under 160” and I pass up deer every year.

I passed this buck last year and seen him again on the weekend, am I ever glad I never shot him at 155” because he’s up around 170” this year and won’t get a pass if I see him! To me it’s a personal competition and part of what I love so much about Hunting.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:29 PM

Smile

He could be 180 plus next year. Just saying
Old 10-03-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbl170 View Post
He could be 180 plus next year. Just saying
Not if I catch him slipping up this fall!
Old 10-03-2018, 08:42 PM

Best of luck (a little skill)! And back on topic. Not my cup of tea but I sure make a point of checking the local ones out in the area I hunt.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:49 PM

I love nothing more than searching for big whitetail bucks it’s just something about them. I’ve had fairly good luck harvesting them along my adventures went eight years without taking one less than 150”. Seen my fair share that would make most hunters shake in there boots ( myself included ) it doesn’t make me a better hunter than anyone else just lucky enough to have witnessed it. Like a few have already stated my most memorable ones were taken with my family. The one I’m most fond of is a fork horn mule deer I took my grandpa had just been flown into the university hospital things didn’t look good for him. I had plans to go out with the boys that morning until I got the news. My dad told me to go as there wasn’t anything I could due and unlikely I’d make it in time to say goodbye. I shot that deer at first light out in a cutblock thinking he was gone i got on top of a hill to call home news couldn’t be better grandpa was pulling through. I always remembered what he said about hunting tracks and horns make poor soup. Dad reminded me of that throughout the years when I was a young man wanting to kill a big moose. The rule was if there horns are twice the size of there ears let them walk.
Any doe buck bull or cow has always been a trophy to me. Now I’m passing these lessons on to my son and soon to be sons.

I’ve never entered a contest other than bragging rights between friends over a bottle of whiskey.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:18 PM

I've always figured hunting is a contest between me and Mother Nature, no more, no less.

Grizz
Old 10-04-2018, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Through the evaluation of my hunting career/experiences I’ve had many thoughts on Big Buck contests and there place in our sport. I’m curious what other people think of them good bad or the ugly results of having them. I’m talking about public ones not your friendly neighbor type.

For the record I’m not a fan of them from what I’ve seen and discovered in the field over the years.
Wild TV. Hunting "celebrities". Outfitting (APOS).
These have had far more negative impact on hunting than horn scoring contests ever will.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Nothing wrong with it, gathers people to swap stories, enjoy the long sits.

When I am fully retired I will be spent as if I took place In The rut too....then off to Cuba to rest in the warmth

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-04-2018, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I've always figured hunting is a contest between me and Mother Nature, no more, no less.

Grizz
Most think you can't beat mother nature, but I'm glad your still trying.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:52 AM

They are not for everyone, I am personally not a fan. I have entered a few in the past, but being a competitive person, I felt pressure to get out and find the biggest buck, which took away from my experience in the field, then I was envious of hunters that had shot bigger deer than me instead of being happy for them. To top it off after harvesting a great buck, that measured out at 168" I was disappointed because I knew he wasn't going to win the contest. I am now a little older and enjoy the "hunt" much more then the "kill" I still have the drive and the desire to shoot the next monster to be on the cover of Big Buck magazine but my attitude has changed.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:56 PM

Default Big buck Contest

I like the idea of competition and have not shot a buck since 2013 since I am holding out for 160 or better. This year my goal is to get my buddys son a new hunter a buck. Even if it is a spike that is my goal. Also to shoot a buck with my kids would be cool but hard to sit in a ground blind in November wit ha 8 and 6 year old LOL
Old 10-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Banned

I’ve found that money and greed can corrupt and ruin anything. I like the idea of the big buck contests but the chase for the prize tends to ruin it. Too many people stretch the rules in order to potentially win some cash.

With that being said, I consider myself a trophy hunter. I feel better going home empty handed instead of shooting a small immature animal. I’m not starving and I’m sure no one on here is also. The challenge of harvesting a mature animals is big for me. It makes me work harder to improve my skills, techniques and abilities. If I was a meat hunter I would be done opening morning. What challenge is that?
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 PM

Default Thoughts on big buck contests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
You get 1 tag. Doesn’t matter if you enter it in a contest or not. 1 tag. It’s not as if contestants are issued an extra tag compared to non participants.
I think that sometimes a guy might pull the trigger, look at the deer he just shot and know it’s not going to win the contest. Then walk away with his tag so he can keep on hunting. That’s the dirty part on a competition like that. Like someone else said the competition should be against yourself.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I think that sometimes a guy might pull the trigger, look at the deer he just shot and know it’s not going to win the contest. Then walk away with his tag so he can keep on hunting. That’s the dirty part on a competition like that. Like someone else said the competition should be against yourself.
That’s a lot to assume. That happens with hunters that aren’t entered in contests as well. Your statement borderlines the implication that more contestants are poachers than non contestants.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Gone Hunting

I went to a few "trophy nights" back in the day when the local watering hole put them on or maybe they were held in the community hall. It was mostly a gathering of hunters from around the area and ended up being a good gab fest and the overall winner (?) got a $5.00 plaque. Then the prize money started and, naturally the pot grew. Now it seems some guy stumbles onto a 180" deer and spends the next 3 months hitting every event within a 2-3 hr drive from his home, collects the money and heads to the next one. Just my thoughts, but they don't seem the same anymore, which is probably why I haven't attended one in a few years
Old 10-04-2018, 09:56 PM

Big Buck contests are illegal in Montana.