Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 08:41 PM

People older than me thought the stuff I learned in school was weird. They didn’t understand why I needed to use a graphing calculator in high school math and thought I should be still long dividing.

I now have kids and I’m sure I will find the stuff they are learning different from when I was growing up. What youth are taught they are taught changes continually and the method they are taught with changes continually also.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:09 PM

"Schools shouldn't teach kids what to think. They should teach them how to think" - I don't know who said that.

Parents shouldn't teach a kid what to think, they should also teach them how to think.

I'm just gonna add in: teachers aren't there to raise our kids.

Last edited by sgill808; 10-05-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
"Schools shouldn't teach kids what to think. They should teach them how to think" - I don't know who said that.

Parents shouldn't teach a kid what to think, they should also teach them how to think.

^^^^THIS^^^^
It isn't my job as a parent to convince my kids to think exactly what I think...it is to teach them to think intelligently for themselves and come to their own conclusions...and respect them even if those conclusions are different than mine.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
^^^^this^^^^
it isn't my job as a parent to convince my kids to think exactly what i think...it is to teach them to think intelligently for themselves and come to their own conclusions...and respect them even if those conclusions are different than mine.
Not the social/political engineering that is happening now.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 10-05-2018, 11:19 PM

When the Premier of Alberta has access to a class of impressionable young children she brings a special book, a book with an orange cover. Its not anything by Roald Dahl or Charlottes Web or anything. Its orange.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
When the Premier of Alberta has access to a class of impressionable young children she brings a special book, a book with an orange cover. Its not anything by Roald Dahl or Charlottes Web or anything. Its orange.
when I was 9 years old, peter lougheed showed up at a podium on a soccer field with an entourage of blue jackets. they landed in an executive like helicopter and we were encouraged to clap whenever he paused in his speech. it was weird somehow, even for a 9 year old.

hal53 was likely there trying to get an autograph
Old 10-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The bottom line is ..... if this wasn't taken out of context ....... and the teacher used her classroom to push political views (of any kind) that's out of line.

I really don't care if the teacher agrees with my views or doesn't - it's not something a teacher should be doing period.

My kids, both in university now, had a few teachers say a few things I thought really bordered on a razor's edge in terms of ethics. The good news is both kids were smart enough to make up their own minds - and I'd say maybe most kids will.

Our household always tried to present critical thinking when it came to politics. As a result, my 2 kids have completely opposing viewpoints on politics and who they support in elections.

Hopefully, if this story wasn't taken out of context, and the teacher did try and influence students - most kids are smart enough to think critically for themselves as well.
This is my feeling as well.

I view teachers like everyone else - a mixed bag of political views, teaching skills, and love for their jobs.

We try and teach our kids this as well and to look critically at what they have to say and learn as much as they can. Overall, I think most teachers have their hearts in the right place and do a great job , but there is the odd one that is a bit challenging, but that can be a good learning opportunity in its own way.

Matt
Old 10-06-2018, 09:26 AM

Pretty confident that curricula in all provinces insures that every student is taught critical thinking skills.
As tone deaf as some individual “assignments” may be, it should be self evident that a single event will not result in a herd of glazed eyed believers. Indoctrination is more complicated than getting pregnant where a single event can plant a seed.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:32 AM

At my son’s elementary school (by example rather than by intent) they’re taught that there is no such thing as a male teacher. There is not a one among perhaps 16-20 staff there? As ratio’s go 0% is pretty pathetic. I imagine that other elementary schools might have one or two male teachers to drag that ratio up to 5% between the three schools if another school has one male teacher and another has a whopping two? I’d really like to see the school boards stats on those numbers. I recall my own school experience and there were male teachers in both elementaries that I attended though I do recall that it was the older students they would be instructing, grade 4 and up. It’s curious how there are so few men, if any, teaching the earliest grades. I imagine other elementary schools might have one or two male teachers to drag that average to up around 5%. This clearly demonstrates there is an issue with a number of things: men entering the teaching profession, men experiencing many social prejudices to overcome in teaching at a grade school level, the hiring practices of the school board, possibly actions the principal herself. I sense a letter being compiled and co-addressed to the school board and levels of government.

I’m at the same time being sarcastic, ironic and serious about this. The irony is pointing out an occupation where men are underrepresented but nobody on the left has ever raised the issue about such an obvious gender representation inequality. Is it a workplace that’s toxic towards men? I’m serious in that if it weren’t for attitudes of so many it might be a job choice that more men would take and that I think it’s important for children to have some positive male influence during their developing years. Like nursing, teaching at younger grade levels is not something that is a calling for many men, but it’s a good job and it seems that something is awry if there is not a single male in an entire building, save for when the maintenance dept visits, and it’s not like those gents interact with the kids.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-06-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Lol!

You come down next summer and I guarantee you a monster cutty ok?

Your a good guy Willy and I’d be more than happy to hit a Creek wit ya.

Just pretend your as dumb as me for the day k?

Aug is best.

Now I leave thread for real.
I want to go fishing too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post

Give the the basic tools to get the heck out of the house and make an honest living with minimal mistakes so that they can enjoy life and everything that it has to offer.

Reading, writing, arithmetic,athletics, and a little culture too....strive to be the best you can be, no excuses, results.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
At my son’s elementary school (by example rather than by intent) they’re taught that there is no such thing as a male teacher. There is not a one among perhaps 16-20 staff there? As ratio’s go 0% is pretty pathetic. I imagine that other elementary schools might have one or two male teachers to drag that ratio up to 5% between the three schools if another school has one male teacher and another has a whopping two? I’d really like to see the school boards stats on those numbers. I recall my own school experience and there were male teachers in both elementaries that I attended though I do recall that it was the older students they would be instructing, grade 4 and up. It’s curious how there are so few men, if any, teaching the earliest grades. I imagine other elementary schools might have one or two male teachers to drag that average to up around 5%. This clearly demonstrates there is an issue with a number of things: men entering the teaching profession, men experiencing many social prejudices to overcome in teaching at a grade school level, the hiring practices of the school board, possibly actions the principal herself. I sense a letter being compiled and co-addressed to the school board and levels of government.

I’m at the same time being sarcastic, ironic and serious about this. The irony is pointing out an occupation where men are underrepresented but nobody on the left has ever raised the issue about such an obvious gender representation inequality. Is it a workplace that’s toxic towards men? I’m serious in that if it weren’t for attitudes of so many it might be a job choice that more men would take and that I think it’s important for children to have some positive male influence during their developing years. Like nursing, teaching at younger grade levels is not something that is a calling for many men, but it’s a good job and it seems that something is awry if there is not a single male in an entire building, save for when the maintenance dept visits, and it’s not like those gents interact with the kids.

This is a great observation, i agree that more men are needed to influence a more balanced atmosphere when children are at their most impressionable point in life.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:19 AM

Hre in the Okanagan is like elsewhere, my daughter in is grdae 3, barely reads and write, we do spend the time with her, now out of work I still pay for a tutor because that tutor is worth it, obviously my daughter is but man, what a difference with someone else twice a week for 22h an hour.

The trouble is now, there is no discipline, they don't teach as they did, there is so much more freedom for kids to move up even if ill ready, just move them up for the next batch to come in.

Last edited by pak280; 10-06-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

Simple reason. As you go up in years, elementary to junior high to high school the number of male teachers increased to the point that in many high school the male teachers outnumber the female.
This is not some 'leftist' plot.
Two of my biggest customers are EPSB and Edmonton Catholic.
I literally deal with teachers on a daily basis.
Both boards would love it if more males taught the earlier classes...BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO. Most males are not entirely comfortable with, for example a 7 year old female childs temper tantrum.
Simple as that.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:37 PM

well said
Old 10-06-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Do you support giving teachers a raise (for arguments sake, cost of living?)?

If you do, and you could wave a magic wand and make it so, I suspect the numbers of male teachers increases.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Caber, would you trade your job for one where many, many question every move you make, your earnings are capped at $90k and there is nothing you can do to change it, and every outdoor forum whines about the job you do, and tell you how it needs to be done?

I generally like my job, derive satisfaction that I connect with a handful of kids in a positive way each years, and love the holidays, but knowing what I know now, there is no way in hell I would have gone into it.

Could have spent my university tuition money on something else.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:23 PM

The main issue I have with the current education system is the NDPs agenda, alot of the issues they are pushing have nothing to do with actually educating students, and that the good teaches get the same rewards, aka salary, as the poor teachers, who in a normal job situation, would likely be let go. I suppose my main issue is therefore, not with the teachers, but the teachers union and Mr. Eggen.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
They're not being taught anything...every day I ask my boys what they learnt in school and every day is the same answer (nothing).
If parents don't like the quality of education, it's on them to step up and fill that gap.

Education is too important to leave entirely in someone else's hands.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pak280 View Post
The trouble is now, there is no discipline, they don't teach as they did, there is so much more freedom for kids to move up even if ill ready, just move them up for the next batch to come in.
My kids will pass grades because they are smart and well educated, because I've ensured that.

If other kids get progressed prematurely... Well, sadly that may not work out well for them.

But I'm curious why you'd care?
Old 10-06-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
The main issue I have with the current education system is the NDPs agenda, alot of the issues they are pushing have nothing to do with actually educating students, and that the good teaches get the same rewards, aka salary, as the poor teachers, who in a normal job situation, would likely be let go. I suppose my main issue is therefore, not with the teachers, but the teachers union and Mr. Eggen.
It's hard to believe this is a new situation,
that has suddenly arisen with a change in government.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:41 PM

This man's frustration echoes that of many in this thread:

"Don't stay in school".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xe6nLVXEC0
Old 10-06-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I would comment on this political thread but I just get my posts removed entirely or booted for a couple weeks..... Interesting how some are allowed to ramble on and on and others are Censored yup love how lefties think.
Is the problem your POV, or how you express it?

Last edited by Peter Abelard; 10-06-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
This is a great observation, i agree that more men are needed to influence a more balanced atmosphere when children are at their most impressionable point in life.
Awesome man. Be the change you wish to see in the world.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
If parents don't like the quality of education, it's on them to step up and fill that gap.

This is by FAR my favorite post in this thread.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
This is by FAR my favorite post in this thread.
[Blush]

Every weekend, me and the kids set aside an hour for a learning activity, framed as "Adventures". Essentially, it's a home schooling session.

I have two streams: One is intellectual, the other practical. Our sessions have catchy names that I won't share here.

On the intellectual days we may examine an event in history, discuss critical thinking, or discuss another culture, or another religion.

On the practical days we could be building something, taking something apart. Perhaps learning some fieldcraft. Then next big thing in the pipe is teaching them to read body language, or "How to read minds".

I am grateful to the school system for building a basic foundation, so *I don't have to*, allowing me to focus on the advanced level stuff.

We're also lucky to to have the spare time and energy to put towards this. So many family are struggling just to keep their head above water that they couldn't do this.

They *LOVE* these sessions. If we skip one they complain. The burden is on me to keep it interesting, and I do my best to bring my "A" game so they keep coming back for more.

Last edited by Peter Abelard; 10-07-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post

Exactly, use to sit with the kids reading, spelling and math. Got involved with what they were doing at school ensuring they fully understood what was being taught, taught them that 80 percent is an indication that you need to know the 20 percent you didn't so that when the big exam came up you nailed it.
Parenting is so much more then dump and go, lay blame if there are issues when it's all about getting involved etc.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:51 PM

interesting article onFB by LC Miller on oct 2
Miller was a public school board trustee for 15 years
main point STAY OUT OF OUR RIGHTS AS PARENTS AND DO YOUR JOB TO TEACH OUR KIDS THE THREE Rs INSTEAD OF YOUR LEFTISH LGBTQ AGENDA
I agree with him what about you guys?
Old 10-08-2018, 10:57 AM

garbage
Old 10-08-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
interesting article onFB by LC Miller on oct 2
Miller was a public school board trustee for 15 years
main point STAY OUT OF OUR RIGHTS AS PARENTS AND DO YOUR JOB TO TEACH OUR KIDS THE THREE Rs INSTEAD OF YOUR LEFTISH LGBTQ AGENDA
I agree with him what about you guys?

Miller seems blind to longstanding presence of cultural and political influences in the classroom. His ignorance is surprising for someone in his position.

What *IS* Miller's concern? Is he concerned with non-fundamentals being included in the curriculum? Or is he just concerned with the presence of ideas he doesn't agree with?

The "Three Rs" methodology is 200 years old - Miller's recommendations are the best 1800 has to offer.

Miller's criticisms come off as an aging person's discomfort with change, more than they do informed criticism of the educational system.

Increasingly, it's clear that a portion of our society is non-binary. Some may dismiss this as a social experiment or fad, but more likely it's biological variations that have been suppressed by culture.

I'd rather have these folks acknowledged and included, than suffering in silence, and eventually killing themselves.

(ps. Any link to this article? )
Closed Thread