Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2018, 03:04 PM

Default Midsize suv

Looking for recommendations on a new suv for the wife. I have been driving a truck for years and do not have a clue on good bad to look at.Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:26 PM

Brother has a 2011 Toyota RAV4. Very reliable and well built. Might be worth a look if that size SUV works for you.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:30 PM

Ford Explorer . Heard very good reviews. Their V-6 gets 10L/100km
My Wife's Hyundai V6 around 14L/100Km and very hard to work on engine, as every thing is build tight. to replace alternator you have to remove rad.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:31 PM

Have a look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee, they seem mid size to me and great towing capacity if you need to tow something.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:37 PM

My wife has had two Jeep Grande Cherokee's, they were both very good vehical's, there prices seem to have increased big time in the last couple of years, she was upgrading this year so she decided to try a Ford Edge, so far a very nice vehical.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:46 PM

My wife and I bought a 2017 Jeep Cherokee new in December of 2016. I’ve never been a Jeep guy but I will say I am quite impressed with the quality and reliability so far. We average about 24mpg calculated by hand over the first year we owned the vehicle. The heated steering wheel and seats work wonderfully as does the 4x4 system. We bought general altimax arctic tires for winter and so far there isn’t anywhere we haven’t been able to go in the winter. I am a die hard Ford guy and there isn’t any other Jeep I would consider buying but a Cherokee. What sold us was the v6, tow capacity and 4x4 system Jeep’s are known for. We just got a sport model with the altitude package as it had exactly what we were looking for and nothing we didn’t need. If we were to do it again we would consider a trailhawk. The only think I don’t care for is how the venting system distributes heat. I find it causes the drivers windows to fog or ice up except the little spot that melts so you can see out the side mirrors. As for problems, we had 1 issue with the transmission which was a factory wiring harness recal. They replaced the harness and provided 2 additional software upgrades for free. I was expecting to pay something for labor but they just tossed me the keys and paperwork and said thanks. Very very impressed with both Lithia and Billion Jeep dealers in Missoula and Bozeman Montana! Top notch customer service which is more than I can say about the Bozeman MT Ford dealer unfortunately.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:03 AM

Wife loves her Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4wd loaded, great on gas but a small gas tank so you fill up more often.Had it for a year and a half with no problems at all. Looked at the Mazda CX5 but similarly equipped was $1500 more(only a conventional 2.5L). Ford Escape 2.0L has a lot of jam
Old 10-14-2018, 09:45 AM

My wife's vehicle just got written off so we are shopping. Honda CRV is at the top of the list so far and we have looked at a lot!!
Old 10-14-2018, 11:38 AM

Default Toyota all the way

The wifes 2012 Highlander just got wrote off...the replacement Highlander is already here, probably the best vehicle I've had. We only lost 9k in depreciation in 6 years of driving since new, try that with a domestic maker.

Got a RAV4 as well, just as good, great on fuel, same crazy reliability and high retained value.

Between the 2 the only decision is how much room you need, there's really no bad choice.

Zeke
Old 10-14-2018, 01:12 PM

I bought the wife a little Cadillac XT5 about 18 months ago. I’ve been very please with it, great mileage and all wheel drive handles winter very well. I’ve even pulled my river boat with it.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:34 PM

If you buy a decent vehicle in the first place, you won't get all excited about the resale value offered by Honda, Toyota, etc. as you'll actually want to keep it.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:22 PM

The wife has a 2008 Acura RDX. Never seems to breakdown. 300k and still runs great. We would definitely look st another Acura if we buy another SUV again.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:45 PM

Run with the tribe,
Grand Cherokee
Old 10-14-2018, 03:47 PM

Drove the 2018 Honda CRV for some test drives, with the CVT trans it is real nice to drive, the RPMs are always in the sweet spot, it is real sporty and quick, the mileage is awesome but.........since they won some awards for this vehicle recently........they are overpriced and not willing to negotiate at all on pricing.
We went with a Toyota Highlander, little bigger, very smooth V6 with an 8 speed auto transmission, 3rd row seating. The Highlander has a smoother ride.
We thought we were getting better value overall on the Highlander. Excellent looking vehicle too along with the CRV.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:08 PM

My wife was in the market for a small suv as well. I told her this will be a process that will take me some time to review all vehicles in that class. one week later she had a 2015 Nissan Rogue because that was the one she liked best. Keeping in mind our lower budget ($20k) thus eliminating the premium brands such as Lexus, Acura , Cadillac etc...So we quickly narrowed down to the ones that reviewed near the top of most consumer reports...in order I found Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda...you get the picture. so a few logical variables listed below that most already know...
1. good mileage 4 cyl, good power 6 cyl
2. if you want a higher level of luxury you can get an older vehicle for a similar cost as a newer vehicle with less options
3. If not paying cash, With zero percent financing on new, you can almost get the numbers the same as when financing preowned at 5-6%
4. determine what is important to the driver..i.e. leather, 3rd row seating, premium sound etc
5. low mileage low mileage low mileage
6. Dealers never make mistakes on initial pricing but are motivated to sell so stay strong, like I advised our younger sales clerk as we sat down...welcome to Mexico now the fun begins...
Old 10-15-2018, 03:21 PM

4-Runner, hands down.
I had a old '88 till a couple of years ago, and the thing would plow through 2 or 3 foot snowbanks like they almost weren't there, and I never got stuck.

Don't know much about new ones, but maybe check into 'em just for the "heck" of it.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:03 PM

Another vote for the Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4wd, I found them a wee bit small but mileage is great, I have two relatives with them and they get hiway mileage in the mid to hi 40's
Old 10-15-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
4-Runner, hands down.
I had a old '88 till a couple of years ago, and the thing would plow through 2 or 3 foot snowbanks like they almost weren't there, and I never got stuck.

Don't know much about new ones, but maybe check into 'em just for the "heck" of it.
4-runner $60k, not $20k

Hyundai Santa Fe --on our second one---great unit
Old 10-15-2018, 10:24 PM

Our Buick Enclave AWD in the CXL2 model was a great unit for our family. Highly recommend. we seriously considered another one but opted for a mint Platinum Escalade that had 27000kms
Old 10-16-2018, 12:26 AM

I have an older Hyundai Santa Fe and love it. It was actually an improvement over the Lexus I had previous to it.
The 2.7 V6 is a great engine, enough power and good fuel economy.
Very comfortable and super reliable.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:36 AM

Theres prettier, smoother, more economical vehicles, but for me a 4th gen 4runner with v8 is unbeatable. Love mine and and my wife would never let me sell it
Old 10-16-2018, 07:48 AM

First of all, I don't own a mid-size SUV and never have. But a few years ago, I was in the market for one. I'm a big fan of looking at reviews. Whether I'm checking out a new hotel, buying a shop vac or buying a vehicle, I read the reviews online. So, a few years ago, I checked out car and driver, Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book etc. on mid-size SUV recommendations. I listen to what they have to say and then draw my own conclusions from that.

A common theme... if the review was biased towards all-wheel drive capability, the Subaru Forester came out ahead. If the review was biased towards handling and gas mileage, the Mazda CX-5 came out on top. The Toyota Rav4 and Honda CRV always came out in the middle. Yet, if I was buying one, I would probably be one of those two.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:45 PM

you will love a bmw x5
Old 10-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Suv's have worked well for us keeping the mileage off the old duromax; at first we went through three CRV's just changing oil and tires for years until daughter rolled it over on gravel and walked away with scratches; our last 2 Suv's have been the Nissan Pathfinder, just a bit bigger and better for us as we drive gravel daily, our newest pathfinder is getting excellent fuel mileage and I like the safety features including the side warnings, anyways, lots of great choices out there that's my 2 cents worth
Old 10-17-2018, 11:16 AM

If off-road capability isn't a concern, I'd take a good look at the Highlander.

The CRV and Rav-4 are definitely nice, but I don't consider them to be mid-size.

I lament the passing of the older SUVs - it seems that in recent years they have lost their ruggedness in design. Case in point: The Pilot is essentially now an AWD Odyssey. Still a great SUV, but...

Look at the commercials, where the SUV driver goes "off the beaten path" - the roads and puddles that they are going through are easily navigable by my 2wd sedan.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
The wifes 2012 Highlander just got wrote off...the replacement Highlander is already here, probably the best vehicle I've had. We only lost 9k in depreciation in 6 years of driving since new, try that with a domestic maker.

Got a RAV4 as well, just as good, great on fuel, same crazy reliability and high retained value.

Between the 2 the only decision is how much room you need, there's really no bad choice.

Zeke
the highlander is a more comfortable & smoother ride .