Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2018, 05:08 AM

Default Hawaii hunting

Is anyone ever hunted in Hawaii? Is it possible to diy as Canadian?
Might be going there in March or April for family vacation. We don’t know where yet. we could go near where hunting would be the eassiest to make happen.
Thx
Frank
Old 10-14-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Thank View Post
Is anyone ever hunted in Hawaii? Is it possible to diy as Canadian?
Might be going there in March or April for family vacation. We don’t know where yet. we could go near where hunting would be the eassiest to make happen.
Thx
Frank
Hawaii is easy to DIY, especially bow hunting, but even rifle works. Most of the islands have large parcels of crown land that is easily accessible. One thing, make sure you submit your Hunter Training info and get a waiver or you can't buy a license when you get there. The biggest challenge is most rental cars you aren't allowed off of paved roads. A couple of the local rental places will rent you vehicles you can take on back roads but car rental in Hawaii is always REALLY expensive. Realistically, for what you pay a day for a 4x4 you have paid half a guides day rate and a guide has the advantage you can usually rent a gun and save yourself the hassle of taking your own.

https://gohunthawaii.ehawaii.gov/public/welcome.html
Old 10-14-2018, 08:34 AM

I owned a place on the Big Island for a spell. I'd recommend a guide for all the reasons Frank stated. What would you plan to do if you actually shot a goat/pig on your own?
Old 10-14-2018, 12:18 PM

on Maui the punlic land regs are a mess, then you have all the locals to deal with and you have to register your firearm within 48 hours at the cop shop.

Like Dean said, if you havnt done a credited hunter safety course you will not get an exemption letter and you are hooped for buying your permits. I did mine in Ontario and that was accepted, I assume Albertas will be too

Private land is no bag limits and open season all year.

I would rather pay the money an go with a guide any day. i paid 1200USD and they picked me up, gave me lunch free loner gun and I shot 2 goats an axis doe that they butchered and did throphy prep on. I gave the guy a good tip becuase he even euro'd my goat skulls complete with shipping box and bubble wrap so i wouldnt have any trouble at the border coming home

Maui Hunting Safari
Rodney and Dawn are the guides
Old 10-14-2018, 05:57 PM

I went to Hawaii this past spring. Stayed in Wikiki but we flew over to Maui for the one day. This was about half hour flight as we were at full altitude for 3 minutes i think before the decent. In the Maui airport there were a couple guys with their bow cases and i asked them what they were hunting and they told me goats on the other side of Hana in the desert.

We took the road to Hana on a bus tour. My wife hated it as the guy drove one of those 2ton van buses like he stole it way faster than the posted speed limit. Quite an experience. I wounldnt have been at all surprised to be dead today. We drove clockwise around The Maui island.

Anyways on that tour when we got through the insanity of the winding through the jungle. when we got to the desert side, this is like southern AB or Sw Sask with semi arid grazing. Over there there were the goat jackalope looking things everwhere. Just like gophers in June here and didnt seem to wild. I do believe i even screen shot where this was on the iphone map as if i ever went back.

There are wild pigs somewhere on a different island.

If you want to not die at Hana on the highway, go counter clockwise and you wont have any issues.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:04 PM

OK
Thx for all info
Old 10-14-2018, 09:47 PM

I hunted 1 day this April in the Kapapala Forest Reserve on the Big Island. I chose this spot based on sat imagery and trail maps. It was not what I expected. When Americans say 4x4 trail, we would say quad trail. I spent a long time rock crawling a jeep wrangler and a long time hiking. I saw no goats or sheep. I saw lots on the other side of the mountain while on holiday but the area I chose worked for the day I had available. The checkin station near my spot had only 1 sheep kill in a year of submitted slips (interestingly 2 days prior to me being there). Clearly not a great spot.

So, DIY is possible if you can get some first hand knowledge on where to go. Winging it may not be fruitful unless you like that challenge.

I started here and downloaded the google earth map of all the zones. https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/o...aii#gs.I9FRBa8

Then i printed off their regs and learned the open and closed days and seasons of each little zone, and narrowed it down based off access and sat imagery.

Then I completed my alberta hunters ed course and submitted that online to get my permit.

I brought a take down recurve that was not expensive and i had no attachment to. The islands can be hard on equipment.

If you find goats, you will kill goats. Sheep are harder obviously.

The guided price for goats is good considering how much time you save not having to explore unknown terrain but im a sucker for DIY stuff.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 AM

We were on the Big Island in February. I looked into a guide, but the prices have gone up to where a sheep would be $2000 CAD. Goats slightly less.

Considering I could shoot a kudu and a wildebeest for that amount in South Africa, I chose to save my money for a trip to Africa.

We saw a few herds of goats, including a couple right in Kona, and nearly ran over a pig in the tour van on the way back from the evening volcano tour.

Most all the islands have hunting of some sort. For instance you can hunt Vancouver bulls on the Big Island.

I love Hawaii, but they are very left wing. Firearms are getting stickier to import.

Some of the guides are not very responsive to emails or phone calls. And IMO, they are not cheap. These are mostly feral animals.