Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Default Looking for a land owner perspective on seeking permission

I've been hunting for a few years now. I spent 2 years target shooting my rifles before I took my hunting test. I've always been a respectful backwoods person and safety was big for me. What I have come to realize is that public leases with permission, crown land, etc. are just not safe places to hunt anymore. Last year I got scoped twice, reported a group of poachers and had to deal with other hunters baiting deer. Things I want nothing to do with.

A friend of mine has permission on a private section that no one else is allowed to hunt on and the surrounding farms are all private with no permission either. It is so nice to hunt there and it feels much safer. We agreed this year to make a strong effort to secure additional permissions on private land. Not having the privilege of owning lands where people can hunt I don't know all the ins and outs of what it's like to have hundreds of people constantly contacting you for permission. Rude people, nice people, people that get told no but keep coming back...

My question for land owners and even other hunters who have dealt with seeking hunting permission in secluded areas with private landowners is:

"What is a respectful and effective way to approach a private individual regarding permission to hunt for the upcoming season"

I'm more of a face to face guy. I like to drop off a business card, contact sheet and have a cup of coffee with folks so they can ask questions and get to know me a little but... how do landowners feel about that? Some stranger driving onto their place banging on their door and introducing themselves?

From the hunters perspective I want to establish a relationship with the landowner. I consider any permission given to private land is really a privilege and adds a layer of responsibility to the hunter since this stranger whose land you are hunting on is putting their trust in you to respect their land, hunt ethically, safely and generally not be an ass. (Less and less common unfortunately)

Looking for feedback guys. Landowners feel free to PM me if you like. I know this subject gets beaten to death so if you aren't want to post a big rant on this thread happy to hear your thoughts in a PM

Thanks one and all. Hoping you all have a safe and good season.

Tags
bow, hunting, permission, private land, rifle