Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-27-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Loading help 270

Loading for Remington 270 semi,I was using 46 grain IMR 4064 powder with Remington brass. When the empty shell is ejecting the neck seems to be striking the chamber. This partially flattens the the opening ahead of the neck. Also the Shell is very hot after firing. Neck has been cut to min.
I don't see this problem with the factory 130 corelok. Has anyone every seen this problem? I am thinking the load might be a bit cold??? Not sure.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 PM

double tap!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:38 PM

it may be that the handload's pressure curve is different than that of the factory load.
Hot brass is typical however.
have you tried about 60 grains of IMR 4831 and a 130 grain bullet?
I believe that was Jack O'connor's favorite load....
Cat
Old 10-27-2007, 09:23 PM

I don't have any experience with loading for semiauto's but I do know that they are designed to only function properly within a certain range of pressures. That is why most factory ammo functions quite will in semis

So the problem is probably one of too little or too much pressure. I have no experience loading for the .270 with IMR 4064, so cannot say which it would be. I suggest you go the IMR website and look at their loading data - as a place to start.

I would not try 60 grains of IMR 4831 under a 130 grain bullet as catinthehat suggested. This would be a very hot load.

Jack Oconnors load used H4831 not IMR 4831 and he sometimes loaded as high as 62 grains, but this was in a bolt action not a semi.
H4831 and IMR4831 are not directly interchangeable - and in one of my .270 rifles the difference can be as much as 4 grains depending on the lots of powder. Regardless, one would always start low and work up.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:37 PM

The IMR loading data indicates for the .270 winchester with IMR 4064 a range form 43.0 to 47.5 grains (max) so you should be in the ballpark, although loading components and rifles tend to vary.

If I was you I would load up 3 loads of each powder weight starting at 43.0 grains and going up in 0.5 grain increments. Fire these and check for accuracy and function as you go.

I would definitely not exceed the listed maximum.

Last edited by Buckhead; 10-27-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:47 PM

Are you sure the casemouths are not getting dented when they hit the ground? Are all the dents identical? If all the dents identical in size, shape and location on all the cases then that would suggest them being damaged somewhere in extraction and ejection, if thats the case then it could be a pressur thing of either too much pressure or to little causing the case to slam the case into the side of the chamber mouth receiver on its way out. Are your primers flattened badly or nice rounded edges. load might be outside the pressure window. Could be a lot of things being its an autoloader, what with fussy mechanisms and all.

Last edited by Bushrat; 10-27-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I don't have any experience with loading for semiauto's but I do know that they are designed to only function properly within a certain range of pressures. That is why most factory ammo functions quite will in semis

So the problem is probably one of too little or too much pressure. I have no experience loading for the .270 with IMR 4064, so cannot say which it would be. I suggest you go the IMR website and look at their loading data - as a place to start.

I would not try 60 grains of IMR 4831 under a 130 grain bullet as catinthehat suggested. This would be a very hot load.

Jack Oconnors load used H4831 not IMR 4831 and he sometimes loaded as high as 62 grains, but this was in a bolt action not a semi.
H4831 and IMR4831 are not directly interchangeable - and in one of my .270 rifles the difference can be as much as 4 grains depending on the lots of powder. Regardless, one would always start low and work up.

OOPS!!
You're right about the h4831.
As far as comparing to the IMR, the H burns slower, yes.
I have found that many brands of case don't have enough capacity to hold 61 grains, let alone 62 grains of H4831, I would surmise that Mr. O'Connor did a lot of sorting of his brass!
he was often quoted as saying that his velocity was 3,000FPS with that loaed, and that would be a real hotrod with a 130 grainer, for sure....
Cat
Old 10-29-2007, 08:43 AM

way back wen i loaded some plinkin loads with Hornady 140`s with imr 4064 and usesd 47 grains in my bolt action it seemed to be a mild load forit..
i dont know anything about semis,, but walkin around the range and pickin brass up off the ground u can tell witch .223 and .308 cases were from semies .
mostand if not all ,, appear to have 1 side slightly flattened at the case mouth ...
A modles 70 i had shot nicee with 130 grns bullets , imr 4831 at 56.5 Fed 210`s and my parker hail and ruger shoot very nice at 57.5 ,,Fed 215 primers and 58.5 Fed 210`s in them..with 22 inch pipes. 59 grains with a lr primer was impressive ( way too hot) at 3220 fps. but case life was down to 1 load and most cases would loose the primer when ejected ,,and it cost me a headspace job in the parker hail
If ur load shootsss good at 47 use it ... if not bump it up 1/2 grain increments
see if it helps,,Like i said i aint got xperience with semmies and dont know what pressure singns if they r the same as a bolt to look for