Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2013, 07:36 PM

Default Lund down rigger brackets

Bought a 2013 tyee and am having problems setting up for electric riggers seems companies such as the big two don't make attachment brackets.I probably am missing what's out there to attach to the lund bracket
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 PM

might not be the answer you wanna hear but id say go to the dealer to get it installed
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 AM

I struggled with the same issue ......

The first picture is of the dealer supplied "downrigger bracket" which I was not a fan of - with a 10lb weight I felt it might bend the extruded channel in the gunnel ..........maybe a lighter weight is not a big deal but I like to use at least a 10 lber.

The second picture is of option 2 as described below - and obviously the one I choose ........

option one ............ put a backer board under your gunnel and bolt the base to the gunnel through to the backer. You will be able to reach your hand right up there from the rearmost storage panel or side lockers right to the bottom of the underside of the gunnel. This will require drilling holes in your boat's gunnels.

option two ......... as pictured ............ put a 12" riser mount and mount the base to the deck ........... no holes in gunnel. 4 holes in the carpeted back transom area which has 3/4" marine plywood with a aluminum skin - very stable and very sturdy and out of the way.

In both cases only the small 5 x 5 ( 1/2 thick) base plate stays in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130508-00016.jpg (41.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130613-00059.jpg (54.5 KB, 80 views)
Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 AM

This is what the bracket should be used for .......... rod holders, planers, etc ........ not riggers ............ in my opinion.

Cisco fishing systems also makes a Lund pro track mount but it's just an improved version of Lund's product really.

http://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.co...unt-(42-)-5240
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130607-00053.jpg (48.1 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by EZM; 06-19-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 AM

I also use option 2, but with backing plates

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This is what the bracket should be used for .......... rod holders, planers, etc ........ not riggers ............ in my opinion.

Cisco fishing systems also makes a Lund pro track mount but it's just an improved version of Lund's product really.

http://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.co...unt-(42-)-5240
I agree. Tracker has a similar system and it's not heavy duty enough for downriggers with the possible exception of a small potable rigger with a 6lb ball. The deck mount is a much better option.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
I also use option 2, but with backing plates
Funny thing - I actually pre-drilled some backing plates (3/4" HDPE) and was about to back the base until I discovered the back deck was a full 3/4" marine plywood and had angle iron (aluminum) with a the flange extending right to where the holes came out with a aluminum plate (welded to the angles) underneath as well.

These angle irons run across the back of the deck and secure the ski pylon and have major structural supports running down at several angles.

Drilling through this was a bit of a chore.

This construction was solid enough that the backing plate would add very little structural integrity to the set up.

No wonder that #$%^ boat is so heavy compared to my last one.

I was pleasantly surprised considering I am probably the guy who "over constructs" everything I build or mount.