Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM

Default Which Rain Gear?

I need some good rain gear to keep my dry should I get caught in the rain while out fishing in my boat. I was considering the Shimano over at The Fishin' Hole. Can anyone recommend some gear?

Bobby B.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:02 PM

Guidewear from Cabela's, if you watch you can get some good deals in the bargain cave. Mail order.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-19-2013, 03:09 PM

bought some viking bibs and a coat from TFH right before we left for the anglers cup.

we got rained on 5 out of 5 days. Worked great!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:20 PM

BARE is the best
Old 06-19-2013, 03:23 PM

I have used a Helly Hansen rubberized rain suit and bib. Keeps you 100% dry but it does get warm. I think I paid around $150.

I also have a Cabela's suit which keeps me cooler but on a downpour it does begin to soak thru after a few hours.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:41 PM

Get the best Goretex rainsuit you can afford. Frabil, Simms, Cabelas Guidewear, BassPro 100mph Gear, all of them are good. The Simms stuff I've seen is absolutely top notch. There's all kinds of stuff out there from the other outdoor companies too - Columbia, Helly Hansen, North Face, Arcteryx, Klim, etc... that I'm sure would work just as well or maybe even better.

It isn't cheap, but being warm, dry, and comfortable is one of the best investments you can make in fishing, and if you look after it properly, it lasts a long time.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:54 PM

I use the LL Bean gore-tex rain suit. In my opinion it is the best. The bibs have a double bottom, one sits tight against your boots and the other to shed the water. Lots of gear loops, cordura (black sections) which is very wear resistant. The jacket has inner cuffs to sit tight against your wrist and an outer cuff the shed the rain. The hood is awesome too. You can tighten her right now for booting across the lake is high winds. I have put this suit through the works and have never ever got wet. I use the bibs in winter for ice fishing.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68739...ductId=1139078

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68738...739-ppxs&dds=y
Old 06-19-2013, 04:11 PM

spend the money and buy quality! I think any angler will agree, don't cheap out. You'll regret it!

That said Cabelas guide wear is top notch!

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 06-19-2013, 04:19 PM

Wind River Technical Jacket at Marks Work Wear. I fly fish a lot and this jacket has been great keeping me dry and cozy on lakes and streams. Cuts the wind nicely and also breathes really well. Also has nice big pockets and a hood.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-19-2013, 04:26 PM

I went through a bunch of suits and the only one to keep me completely dry so far is the Cabelas Guidewear suit.

I have heard good things about the Frabil suits but they aren't goretex.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:31 PM

MEC my friend
Old 06-19-2013, 04:31 PM

Default Rain gear

Simms G4, Bass Pro 100mph, full bib Quality coat and tough pants.

Viking Supprisingly dry for the price.

B.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

Have a frabil storm suite love it even use it at end of ice season when it starts to warm but real wet
Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 PM

i guess i am the odd man out, i have tried out the rain wear from coleman and i was very surprized at how well it worked. about $40 for the top $40 for the bottom which has a rain hood that rolls up and zips up in a little neck pouch very handy, the bottom is like a pair of pants and i found very comfy and the whole suit kept me dry for about 7 years and then the water proof layer started to fad when i wore it in a very windy rain storm and tore it a bit crashing through the bushes. i think they are also breathable cause i never broke a sweat wearing them as for the helly hansons i bought at WS work great but a bit hot and sweaty. but i still went and bought another set of the colemans rain suit cause i liked it so much. both also fold into a little pouch and very compact.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 PM

Arcteryx...not cheap but it's worth it!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:53 PM

I use Wetskins by World Famous at Maligne Lake Jasper and they have been through blizzards to serious storms have kept me dry/warm for over 25 years

Food for Thought
David

Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 PM

You can have the best rain gear in the world....but I've learned that one of these really helps with for the enjoyment factor..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maligne - 2011 011.jpg (49.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:00 AM

Frabill FXE Stormsuit is what I've been using. It's alright but not completely watertight. It is breathable though. I've had some other stuff that is waterproof but not breathable and it's not comfortable, feels like you're wearing a rubber suit, sweat your a.. off! I use Klim Gore Tex for sledding and it's the best. Although Gore Tex isn't cheap, it's unmatched. I've used my Klim sled pants ice fishing and you can kneel in water all day and stay dry. I'm pretty sure Cabelas and Bass Pro both have Gore Tex rain gear but there'll be a hefty price tag to go with it. The Frabill suit, when I bought it, was told that it was as good as Gore Tex but it honestly doesn't come close. I think with Frabill you're paying for the name. I paid $270 for the jacket, $270 for the pants and they're nowhere near Gore Tex. I'd much rather pay $800 for a Gore Tex suit and forget about it.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 AM

Bobby, since your a serious big game hunter as well I would highly recommend the Sitka rain gear or kuiu rain gear. Both are awesome and light weight and pack up into your tackle bag or your hunting back pack.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 AM

I have tourney fished for over 20 years, the cabelas guidewear has been the only one to hold up,stay dry,andit will not feel like you are swimming in them from your own sweat. IMO
Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 AM

I have the Cabelas packable Goretex set....they stuff inside one if their own pockets....I got it on sale though! Full price for those is pretty $$$$

LC
Old 06-20-2013, 08:52 AM

Get it in camo so it can do double duty for you. Justifies a higher price.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:04 AM

I have the Helly Hanson......great for keeping the water out but you sweat and get soaked regardless, i also have the wetskin which i actually like but same thing as helly just not as bad. I actually just picked up the Shimano suit you asked about and i have used it only in very light/misty rain.....works well but i would go with the Cabelas Guide Gear outfit, it seems to have great ratings from the guys on here that have great experience.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 AM

I can hike all day with a pack on and not get sweaty on my Sitka. So sitting in about shouldn't be an issue. Packs up super small and fits in the glove box of my jet boat.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 AM

I got some frogg toggs off eBay for cheap. They are super light, go in the glovebox, ohhhh ya and come in camo patterns.
Priced reasonable on eBay
Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 AM

Default Rain Gear

Carhartt breathable rain gear, i have had mine for almost 7 years now many days of use on construction sites very durable, hundreds of washes and still going strong. They repel the water but allows your body to vent through the material exceleent gear.