Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 09:46 PM

Default Nordegg fishing for school group

I am going as a leader for a school backpacking campout near Nordegg. We had a change of plans and we are not going to Allstones Lake due to the steep trail to get there. Now we are going on the Cline River trail towards Pinto Lake. Looking at the regs, both river and lake are closed. Any advice for stocked lakes in the area that I could take a few of the kids who were really looking forward to fishing Allstones?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 PM

I haven't been in a couple years but Goldeye Lake was a blast last time I was there, caught lots of rainbows from shore on my fly rod and my wife was catching them like crazy on her spinning outfit with little brass spoons.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM

Gap Lake south of Nordegg and south of the North Sask might be a good alternate location. never been there but have heard it is not that bad of a hike in and has decent fishing. best with a float tube. i don't think the trail is that tough just lots of muskeg and roots to walk around.

most other hike in lakes in that area are a good day long hike in and pretty tough trails.

Rgds
Mike
Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 AM

If Allstones is to tough, you're going to have a heck of a time going up the Cline. It's by far a tougher hike to get into the fishable lakes (Landslides, Lake oif the Falls). I would recommend you rethink Allstones as it's a hike I've guided many young students on and they've done fine. However Fish Lake is a good one if you want to campground it.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:35 AM

PM me for info if you would like, it's excellent you're taking the kids on a trip like that! I'd be glad to tell you everything I know about the area.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the advice! I don't have a lot of say as to where we are going, the teacher is making that call. I was just looking out for a few of the kids that were hoping to fish while on the campout. Right now we may be rethinking the campout all together...10cm of snow forcast that day.