Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2011, 12:01 AM

Default Nordeg and area Runoff and fishing?

Hey I'm heading up to nordeg in the near future and wondering if the runoff has hit that river yet. Also has anyone been fly fishing there how's the fishing? Now, I've purchased the trou hiway book (fishing the forestry trunk road) book but still wondering what your favourite creeks or rivers are to fish around there are. Is the fishing good at elk creek, upstream of where the southram joins the north ram river, shundra creek, nsr by rocky, and any tributaries off of any of these rivers and creeks.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
Hey I'm heading up to nordeg in the near future and wondering if the runoff has hit that river yet. Also has anyone been fly fishing there how's the fishing? Now, I've purchased the trou hiway book (fishing the forestry trunk road) book but still wondering what your favourite creeks or rivers are to fish around there are. Is the fishing good at elk creek, upstream of where the southram joins the north ram river, shundra creek, nsr by rocky, and any tributaries off of any of these rivers and creeks.
Still froozen I am sure..Check the regs because most waters are Closed..
Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 AM

It says open April 1st.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Your wrong, please read the regs again.

Only a couple open on the 1st like elk or shunda, rivers like north/south rams and their tribs OPEN on june 16
Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Its is really good fishing out there, I wouldn't bother with the NSR...most of the water out there is catch n release. If your in good shape, hit the big horn below cresent fall... Cought some nice bulls in there, but mostly cuttys under 16", the north n south ram is my fav.... Elk is fun too, but u will have a harder time hooking a brown then the cuttys, also some big bulls in there to...
On the smaller stream, work up stream, n dont let the fish spot you...
PM me if u have any questions, as long as you catch n release...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:48 PM

Elk creek or river? And my regs say that nordeg river is open
Old 04-07-2011, 03:16 PM

here are the regulations of nordeg river 2011
Attached Images
File Type: png regs.png (428.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-07-2011, 05:13 PM

Elk Creek is a favorite of mine. Have done really well catching brown trout usually after July 1st weekend. I agree with Weatherby 420, don't let the fish see you. They will spook at the slightest of movement on somedays. Another stream to try is Cripple creek north of ram falls. I haven't fished it in years. Very pretty creek. Be sure to check your regulations. PM me if you want. I know the area well.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 PM

Elk creek is a better cacth rate for me then the ram without using waders lol. you want to be using dries in the elk creek with 6-7x tippit. DO NOT let the fish see you if they do they will refuse anything and also if you mess up your casting. look under the bridges youll see the big trout under there laying rock still. i can only catch browns in there.
here are some pics of a elk creek brown. its a 2 toned pretty weired.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 AM

[QUOTE=Fish Hunter7;898100]Elk creek is a better cacth rate for me then the ram without using waders lol. you want to be using dries in the elk creek with 6-7x tippit. DO NOT let the fish see you if they do they will refuse anything and also if you mess up your casting. look under the bridges youll see the big trout under there laying rock still. i can only catch browns in there.

Never cought a bull on a dry in there, nymph & bigger streamers
Small tippit on the drys and nymph but I beef it up for streamers 5x
With the small streams n creeks I spot and stock, bring binos with you will help to find the old timers in there .
Old 04-08-2011, 06:22 AM

if your creek has bulls go for it! i just like the tiny creeks more then the bigger ones
Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 AM

I'm taking about Elk Creek, on the 734 there is big fish in there, and big bulls too just got to find them but there in there.... Use binos to keep away from the edge, they r in the deeper pools mostly
Old 04-08-2011, 05:30 PM

hmm i might have to finde on a treck sometime lol im guessing thee upstream. but i havent seen any i didnt even know they were present there hahaha