Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-24-2016, 07:00 PM

Post Nordegg Ice Fishing

Evenin' fellas,

Hope everyone is enjoying their holidays and having a good time with their families, I know I sure am.

We rented a cabin in nordegg, and, with that I of course came prepared with sleds and ice fishing gear to get away from the kitchen as the girls cook and do girl stuff.

My question is, can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to punch holes on fish lake? Or goldeye? Or anywhere close for that matter? I got out on Fish today but didn't see a thing. Fresh snowfall has covered the area so I can't even try old holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as we have only a week here and I would like to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance, hope Santa is good tonight

-Jer
Old 12-24-2016, 07:20 PM

Default Nordegg fishing

I would give Fish lake a try or mooneye lake for stocked trout.
Merry christmas!
Davef
Old 12-24-2016, 07:24 PM
Banned

Goldeye early in the morning is always good right in front of the boat launch.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:52 PM

Yes I would like to get out on fish lake, but the question is where? What area of the lake?

And okay, I'll will try there at Goldeye tomorrow, thanks!
Old 12-24-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshToDeath View Post
Yes I would like to get out on fish lake, but the question is where? What area of the lake?

And okay, I'll will try there at Goldeye tomorrow, thanks!
Had lots of luck at fish last year. Fished right off the parking lot where the dock is and worked my way towards the boat launch. Didn't catch anything big but the bite was steady.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:44 PM

Ohh yeah, that's where I went today, about 50ft out from the boat launch. Didn't see a thing. Although, it was late in the day and we were only there for an hour.

Did they stock it this year? I can only find reports from 2015 when they poured in 200 brooders.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Ohh yeah, that's where I went today, about 50ft out from the boat launch. Didn't see a thing. Although, it was late in the day and we were only there for an hour.

Did they stock it this year? I can only find reports from 2015 when they poured in 200 brooders.
Not sure on stocking.
Fish lake is a great rainbow spot. I usually fish off the dock there in summer and throw slip bobbers with power bait suspended on small hooks. I would say 40 yards out off the dock should work. I can't see there not being a lot of pan sized 'Bows in there during freeze up. You can head towards the bridge too as there may be a channel created by that creek coming in. Both spots worth a try with any colour powerbait and a small hook. I like a small slip bobber for strike detection but it's not vital- I usually catch more small rainbows with some sort of strike indicator... try working 4' under the once and work your way down depths. No need to jig. Hope you catch some
Old 12-25-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:

It was definitely stocked this year. Itslisted as shunda lake in the stocking report so there might be some confusion there.

You should be right around where I was catching last year. Maybe 5ft of water. I was using micro leech and small nymph patterns but a friend of mine had success with powerbait too.

I've found rainbows to be really hit or miss. Some days it's on and some days I can't buy a bite
Old 12-25-2016, 08:27 PM

Yeah the bows are kinda bipolar.

Power bait in winter eh? Never tried that before.
We usually catch them on micro jigs or wire worms and maggots. I'll have to try that tomorrow though.

Where abouts is the bridge? Across from the campground?

Appreciate the help guys!