Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-31-2018, 08:59 AM

Default tanned fox fur

Hey anyone, I have a few foxes that I have fleshed and stretched and I was about to tan them.... does anyone know anyone that would be interested in purchasing them??
Old 01-31-2018, 04:23 PM
Banned

Reuban Weibe 403 352 9460
Old 01-31-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Tanned fox

How much do you want for one?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:21 PM
Banned

Tan them and sell them if you can. You won’t get enough to pay for your gas delivering them to a fur buyer.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:22 AM

Default Tanned fox fur

Thanks for the imput guys. Ruben says he wont take the foxes, says Im better off tanning them and selling them privately which Im trying. I would like to get about 100 bucks a fox. Its a lot of work to skin, stretch, flesh and tan them as Im sure some or most of you know.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:25 AM

I would take one, let me know what you need. I have always wanted one to hang on a hook.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyisit73 View Post
Thanks for the imput guys. Ruben says he wont take the foxes, says Im better off tanning them and selling them privately which Im trying. I would like to get about 100 bucks a fox. Its a lot of work to skin, stretch, flesh and tan them as Im sure some or most of you know.
U don't need to stretch if you are just tanning them .I have a few to do myself
Old 02-01-2018, 04:23 PM

Default Tanned fox fur

Shakey.... mine are all processed already so I'll have to soak em and tan them. They are dried and hanging now. Where r u located, how long have u been tanning your hides
Old 02-01-2018, 04:24 PM

bonedogg.... I have 2 left. Selling for 100 each if you want one let me know. I'll be busy this weekend, i just caught 3 more dogs today
Old 02-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Banned

Are you using the orange bottle solution? They recommend going through the process using freshly fleshed for. I tried it on a fox pelt that was dried and all of the hair slipped. Fox are very susceptible to that thus the reason for a 15 minute salt bath instead of 8 hours. I’d suggest trying one and if the fur slips at least you still have two for auction. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2018, 10:27 AM

ohhh no way! I AM using the orange bottle, thats no good at all. I was just about to do them all this weekend or next week. Thanks, I really appreciate the heads up. How long will the dried pelt be good for if it isin't tanned??
Old 02-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Banned

That's the only dried fox that I tried so I don't know if it commonly happens. Maybe try one and see if it works for you.

An untanned pelt won't last long before it starts to rot or the invisible bugs chew it up. A couple of months ago I put up a muskrat that was froze out and by the time I took it in on the last receiving date, bugs had chewed a hole the size of a quarter in it.

To be honest I'm curious if you'd have better luck than me but I thought that I'd warn you.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:18 PM

I personally will never use the orange bottle stuff ..get urself a kit like lutan f or rittles ez-100 ..you will be happy you did it the right way
Old 02-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
I personally will never use the orange bottle stuff ..get urself a kit like lutan f or rittles ez-100 ..you will be happy you did it the right way
Thanks. I'll check them out. Are they closer to a professional tan (ie. more supple)?
Old 02-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thanks. I'll check them out. Are they closer to a professional tan (ie. more supple)?
Yes but more supple depends on how much you work it to break the fibers ..fox and coyote are no issue its the beavs that are tough without thinning the hide
Old 02-02-2018, 03:33 PM

wow.... I cant believe the bugs got to it that fast. I have had some pelts hanging now for a month, just in my shed so its pretty cold there. Things to remember tho. Good tips. Thanks to everyone for the infomation
Old 02-02-2018, 06:44 PM

If you have that many bugs in your fur shed Dave you have a problem. If there were bugs on your rat fur all your other furs would of had them also. You could have contaminated everything at the fur depot. Get yourself a couple of Konk dispensers and get rid of your infestation.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Banned

There are bugs everywhere, Mike, nothing to panic about. Put an untanned pelt in your garage or even in your house and they will find them. Thin skinned furbearers like muskrat and fox are especially susceptible to it happening. It’s not that unusual for it happening to an untanned muskrat hanging in a shed, or anywhere for that matter, for a month or more. That’s why ya gotta store your pelts in a freezer where the bugs won’t get them.

Last edited by HunterDave; 02-02-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:58 PM

So was the rat hanging in the same place as your coyotes and other furs? If yes then the bugs that ate the hole in the rat are probably on your other furs. Thus when delivered to the depot they can transfer to hides brought in by other trappers and could hitch a ride to the auction. You talk about doing a good job at putting up your fur, so why not take the steps to insure you hides are bug free. By the time your bug infested hides get get to the auction their value could go down. As well as the hides of other trappers that your bugs transferred to.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:43 PM
Banned

Mike, I understand your concerns but believe me, they are unwarranted. Ask yourself this, do you fumigate all of your pelts for bugs before you take take them in? Of course you don't, nor does anyone else. I guarantee you that they are chocked full of bacteria and all kinds of living organisms, including microscopic bugs. If they weren't Nafa wouldn't have to pay all of that money for climate control in their warehouse, depots could accept fur all summer long and pelts would not have to be preserved by tanning then.
Catch yourself a muskrat, put it up and keep it in your bug free house for a couple of months and see what happens to it.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
Yes but more supple depends on how much you work it to break the fibers ..fox and coyote are no issue its the beavs that are tough without thinning the hide
If you still have to break the fur to get it supple what's the advantage over the orange bottle stuff? I'm just trying to determine whether or not it's worth switching to the stuff that you mentioned.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
If you still have to break the fur to get it supple what's the advantage over the orange bottle stuff? I'm just trying to determine whether or not it's worth switching to the stuff that you mentioned.
Dave every skin will have to be stretched / broken as It drys to have a supple end product ..I don't believe there is any tan out there that just drys all supple and fluffy...they still need the fibers opened either by working by hand over a beam of sorts or via tumbler with good amount of drop
Old 02-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Yes Dave I do fumigate all my furs. I have Konk dispensers going 24/7. I’ve had rat hides hanging in my shop for up to 6 months before shipping and they were completely bug free. And if it was not such a big deal why does Nafa fine you if they find bugs in your furs.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:10 PM

Where do you get Konk dispensers?
Old 02-03-2018, 07:36 PM

Konk dispensers can be bought at peavy mart and many other hardware stores. I use the 418 strength.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Yes Dave I do fumigate all my furs. I have Konk dispensers going 24/7. I’ve had rat hides hanging in my shop for up to 6 months before shipping and they were completely bug free. And if it was not such a big deal why does Nafa fine you if they find bugs in your furs.
C’mon Mike, they don’t do that. Let’s get reasonable here.

The bugs are little microscopic Pac-Man like critters chomping away at the pelts in itty bitty microscopic bites. It’s not like they are the size of a June bug or anything.

It’s good that you use that konk though. Any bugs that go near your pelts will get konked out.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:45 PM

Hey Dave I checked with Nafa and the ATA and was informed that the last guy who brought bug infested furs to the depot was fined, in that he had to pay to have the premises fumigated. He is also on a list where all he fur is inspected before it comes into the depot and if it has bugs it will not be accepted. So bugs are a big deal.