Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 AM

Smile Nordegg bound!!

Im taking my second trip to nordegg next week and i was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advise. I want to try fishing down the trunk road, we will be flyfishing and using some tackle. So my question is: Is there any easy access rivers, creeks, lakes down the trunk road? and what kind of fish would be in them?oh ya what kind of flies are good to bring for this time of year?

Any advise would be great!! Thank you
Old 09-13-2009, 04:00 AM

30 km south on trunk road is north ram river off the camp ground east walking is a nice hole.or north on trunk road on Shanda creek is good small fish but numbers are good . Go north 30 km to Blackstone river under bridge is good in the riffles i had luck and i am a lousy fly fisherwoman

have fun watch for grizzlys last time i was there i saw a momma with her triplets and i forgot my camera so dont forget to take yours
i was using a double beeded brown nymph i think not very good at fly fishing its my first year
good luck!!
jinx
Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 AM

Great info jinx, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:02 AM

south of nordegg and south of ram you get into elk river and it has millions of access points. lots of brookies and wil caught bulls. using that damn dropper hopper and a gnat seems to be the answer. i learnt this from will and I HATE CATHY. Went back the next week and caught lots. careful as elk is C&R.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:14 PM

I fish the Blackstone a fair bit. If you want to fish the upper reaches, you go north up the forestry trunk road 11 kms to the Chungo creek road turn left, there is a sign that says Chungo creek outfitters, you go in about 20km, go past the Blackstone Rec area and you will eventually come to a big light blue bridge, that is the Blackstone, if you go past the open meadows which is a good place to camp for about 6 km to what I think is called the gap road, I don`t remember, but its a left and it will take you all the way to another bridge that is closed, but it is also on the Blackstone, and to confuse you more if you go back a couple hundred yards and take the little road up the hill, you get back to some great stretches of river. All of these will access most of the head waters. You can catch Cutts, whites, and bulls all of some decent sizes. If you take the trunk road to about km30 or so there is a bridge there as well and from there you can access some of the middle waters, pretty much the same species of fish. It seems to me the cutts up there like high floating drys, so take floatant. The Ram system can be accessed from there pretty easy as well, and the uppere reaches of the North Sask. To make this easier if you P.M me I will send you a rough hand drawn map to all the various places, as there are to many to explain.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:44 PM

Wow you guys are great thank you so much for all the info.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budusy View Post
Wow you guys are great thank you so much for all the info.
Welcome to the board

This place is definitely a great resource, and there's lots of great people on here who are always willing to help

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-13-2009, 05:30 PM

Thank you Geezle i have been loooking for a board just like this. Everyone has been so helpful.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:02 PM

I hear that fish lake can be a good spot for rainbows from the shore? is that true?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:12 PM

yup, there are some good spots from shore there and i have seen many people fish it that way; personally i like it from a boat though
good luck