Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Default Nordegg Area/Shunda lake

Hey all,

Heading out to Nordegg - specifically Shunda Lake this weekend. Never really done any rod/reel fishing for trout. Anybody have any recent experience in the area? Tips for a non-fly fishing newbie? I'll lap up any advice you can provide. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:41 PM

Default Shunda lake

Hey I fished out there last winter had no luck and only saw some small rainbows but I have herd there are some monsters in there anyways if your having tuff luck I would give Goldeye lake a try it's only a few minuts away and it's where we went on that cold winter day and did great small but had lots of fun and there's also supper to be some lunkers in there hope you have a great day out and share how your day was
Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM

was there 3rd week of June. the lake gets hit hard so don't expect too many large fish. most of the large fish are retired brood stock which can be around 6lbs or so. but i suspect there is not too many of them left in the lake as they get hauled out pretty quickly. lots of small stockers tho to be had.

was fly fishing only, so can't really give you any pointers on spinning gear or lures. the large brood stock fish don't venture too far out from shore. most of the ones i saw were no more then 20ft from shore and in pretty shallow. they tend to go around in circles a lot.

most of the stockers should be getting to the 10 - 12" range by now. might catch the odd survivor that will be in the 14" - 18" range or slightly bigger.

the lake gets hit hard and not too many fish in that lake survive the frying pan or freezer long enough to get any size on them, so don't expect to catch many large fish, but you should still do well.

rgds
Mike