Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 PM

Default Crossbow Hunting?

Hey guys! I know this topic isn't the most favourite for bow hunters, but I have to post this. I have been bowhunting since I was twelve years old, I am now 19. Last year was my first year to hunt in Alberta as a resident, So I bought a brand new Hoyt Alphaburner, and all the nice stuff to go with it. Well, The thing is, about a week after I bought it, I couldn't pull it back due to excruciating pain in my wrists and shoulders... I later found out that I have a rare case of Rheumatoid arthritis, now it is all over my body and some days I don't know what to do. I've been looking at crossbows for hunting, but realized that I can't hunt with it in alberta without a license. I still love the concept of bowhunting, having to get so close, and all that good stuff, so I don't want to switch to gunhunting, plus i've had a bad experience with a gun... Anyways, I am just wondering what criteria do I have to meet to get this crossbow license and where do I get it? If people could help with this without the hate between bowhunters and crossbowhunters than I would grateful! Thank you everyone.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:15 PM

I think you just need your doctor to sign off on it.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Default Bow/ Crossbow

Hi Braden
i bought a brand new Black Mamba 2 two years ago and love it -- I pulled it back in the place I got it and popped my shoulder out on the spot --it sat for a year then I tried last year -- same deal with the shoulder but have taken some shots -- I think about switching to crossbow for sure -- but have been told to work the shoulder more pain or not

Im 56 yrs and love the bow as well but some times ya gotta do what ya gotta do as they say --
So now do rifle and bow -- but I guess bottom line is if I switch then all you need is a docs note * Id maybe check with the local FW to be sure but I am certain a note is all you need

happy hunting

Ian
Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 AM

i have a permit for crossbow during bow season theres a from you get from fish &wildlife you take it to your doctor thwn go back to fish & wildlife they talk to you and then deside wither or not to issue you one
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack View Post
i have a permit for crossbow during bow season theres a from you get from fish &wildlife you take it to your doctor thwn go back to fish & wildlife they talk to you and then deside wither or not to issue you one
sorry type----o form then
Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 PM

Thanks so much guys. Im going to go to the local archery store and try to pull back a 45 lb bow. If i can then I'll go with that. I hate to go that low, but it is legal, and there is a reason why it is legal, cause it works. Gonna be a really slow bow, but i don't really care, just as long as I can still bowhunt. If not... then ill switch to crossbow Thanks again guys!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden View Post
Hey guys! I know this topic isn't the most favourite for bow hunters, but I have to post this. I have been bowhunting since I was twelve years old, I am now 19. Last year was my first year to hunt in Alberta as a resident, So I bought a brand new Hoyt Alphaburner, and all the nice stuff to go with it. Well, The thing is, about a week after I bought it, I couldn't pull it back due to excruciating pain in my wrists and shoulders... I later found out that I have a rare case of Rheumatoid arthritis, now it is all over my body and some days I don't know what to do. I've been looking at crossbows for hunting, but realized that I can't hunt with it in alberta without a license. I still love the concept of bowhunting, having to get so close, and all that good stuff, so I don't want to switch to gunhunting, plus i've had a bad experience with a gun... Anyways, I am just wondering what criteria do I have to meet to get this crossbow license and where do I get it? If people could help with this without the hate between bowhunters and crossbowhunters than I would grateful! Thank you everyone.
Braeden you can use a crossbow without a permit during the regular season. I bow hunt all rifle season for the same reasons you mentioned. In the wmus i hunt in you are only missing out on a three week archery season.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 AM

Braeden talk to your doctor do what's best for your body you only get one, I'm thinking you qualify for the permit if you have Rheumatoid Arthritis. You will have to go to F&W for the forum then to your Doc. he has to read it and fill in the blanks if he thinks you qualify and charge you $90.00+ most likely most Doctors do nothing for free. This should not be about what I or others think!

Good luck Alan
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Banned

Last year they changed the medical requirements to obtain a permit and relaxed who may fill out the form. You don't need a doctor to fill the form out, it can be any one of numerous types of medical professionals (ie a physiotherapist). I believe that there are no specifics as to what medical condition that you need to have, just that you cannot draw a conventional 45lb bow. IMO This is much more reasonable than having to be an amputee or partially paralyzed.

The only issue that I have with the new system is that you have to get a new form filled out every year, every 3 years at a F&W Officer's discretion, no exceptions. If a person has a permanent disability I don't understand the reasoning behind that requirement. It's not like someone's arm is going to grow back.

It's allot better system that was in place though.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 PM

I agree with crossbows for the disabled. But that is it.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 PM

Oh no! Here we go.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 PM

To funny, but isn't that why you need a doctors note to hunt with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Oh no! Here we go.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 PM

Again, thanks alot for your input guys. It's helping alot. And I found out the legal limit to archery is a minimum of 40 lbs. I used to workout everyday, and had no problem pulling my dads 96lb bow back. That's the sad thing. I have barely any muscle mass now, But have started my treatment and have only slight pain now. I tried pulling my 60 lb bow back again with no pain, its just too hard for me. Im still going to try pulling 40 and if i cant, then I will try my hardest to gain more muscle back. Im never gonna give up.

Tags
bow, crossbow, disabled, hunting