Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2018, 06:25 PM

Default pellet grills what are all you guys using

My trusty old propane grill has sizzled its last Sasuage and burnt its last Burger. the wheels have fallen off and the red clay brick replacement wheels are looking tired the stainless is now a tarnished steel from a few to many grease fires. Alas the propane tank has been left on for the last time and now I'm dreaming of new high smoke low burnt meaty dinners with less trips to the Costco man for gas. So what are you guys using whats a good buy and what's a grill gimmick.

Last edited by Dubious; 04-04-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:14 PM

Very happy with my GMG Jim Bowie..

Jim..
Old 04-05-2018, 07:20 AM

Had my traeger for 7 years. Love it!!
Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 AM

I bought my Green mountain grill last week.
I picked the Daniel Boone and got the blanket, cover, front rack etc.
I am super impressed so far.
Doing another prime rib tonight.
Easy to use, wifi feature works great.
Absolutely no complaints here
Old 04-05-2018, 07:43 AM

I've been using a GMG Davy Crockett for 2 years and love it!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:20 AM

I've had a GMG Daniel Boone for 3 years and love it. Really consistent temperature with it and I typically run an amaze-n tube smoker inside to get more smoke. 1 pound of pellets in the tube smoker lasts around 5 hours which is great.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:08 AM

Is there an Alberta dealer or are you ordering them over the border? I do like the wifi option the traeger has it but only on the 2500$ model
Old 04-05-2018, 09:33 AM
Gone Hunting

www.primalsmokebbq.com

Is where I got mine.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 AM

Do you have to buy their pellets or will any pellet brand work?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Gone Hunting

Any pellet will work, I'm sure some are of better quality than others.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:13 AM
AO Sponsor

I have been using a Louisiana Grill pellet smoker since the summer and have a lot of big cooks on it already and it is very simple, convenient and solid. Bonus is that in Canada they are warehoused and shipped from Edmonton so makes me feel like I am supporting local to a degree.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:19 AM

I have had my Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie for almost a year now love it. The Wifi is great I went with it because the more vertical side walls give it more space then a comparably priced traeger. Weiss Johnson fireplaces in Edmonton is a dealer but there are bunch of others.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:23 AM

X2 on the Traeger. Look up Starline Sales in Leduc. He puts together a nice package deal for the same price as most places sell just the grill for...
Old 04-05-2018, 11:26 AM

Louisiana LG900
Canwik pellets from Canadian Tire $5.99/40 lbs
(yes they are food safe)
Old 06-18-2018, 02:02 AM

Wondering if the hoppers need to be maintained at a certain depth. Reading some reviews that stated some makes run out of pellets on one side if under 1/3 full and then a shut down and restart are required.

Is this a real issue?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:30 AM

Just picked up my second Traeger grill. They are great. Had the first one for 7 years and it work flawlessly. Sold it and upgraded to the new Timberline 850 model.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:16 AM

Do the GMG get hot enough to sear a steak?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 AM

I've had a Traeger for 8 years and it has been pretty good. A couple repairs along the way, but I think that is to be expected. Since I bought mine the company ownership changed and manufacturing was sent overseas. I have helped family set up a number of the new ones and I feel like the quality has diminished. The metal is thinner and overall it seems less solid.

My wife and I have decided that if this Traeger ever gives up the ghost it will be replaced with either a GMG or Louisiana Grill. Both seem like more solid products than the new Traegers.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Do the GMG get hot enough to sear a steak?
Yes.

My cousin has a Davy Crockett and i had it up to 550 the other day to burn out all the grease and crap inside it.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:49 AM

I have a Pit Boss.
Made local and works great!
Old 06-18-2018, 12:29 PM

I've had a GMG for a couple years now and liked it 90 percent of the time. Trouble was in winter on cold days it struggled to keep up. I know there's a blanket available and probably would've bought it but then i found a manufacturer in the US called Grilla Grills. They have two layers of steel in the belly of the bbq which is supposed to act like an insulator to keep some heat in when it's cold out. I picked it up a week ago and can say that it's built substantially heavier than the GMG. I think it cost $100 more than my gmg but from what i can see it's quite an upgrade. I haven't cooked on it yet so hopefully i am as equally impressed.

The only Canadian dealer is in Airdrie.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I have a Pit Boss.
Made local and works great!

pitt boss is louisianas lower end brand. They arent made local. Id be surprised if the pitt bosses were even made in canada.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:30 PM

i have a camp chef PG24 and its awesome. Just bought it a few months ago and I cook everything on it. Putting some real time in and I have zero complaints
Old 06-18-2018, 02:34 PM

Louisiana LG900
(yes they are food safe)

KyleSS, these pellets are specific to pellet stoves for heating purposes and they make no mention of using them for food grade BBQing on their website.
I spoke to many people that are on the BBQ circuit and not one of those guys would ever consider using these pellets for cooking with.
I know to some people, a wood fire is a wood fire, but I would not be recommending a product that is unintended for food grade.
I've searched to try and find what kind of wood they are made of and all the bag and website says is Hardwood. Every bag of pellets I have used and that are intended for cooking with states the exact type of wood they are made of. Hickory, Oak, Pecan, Cherry, Apple etc.
To each their own and I hope they are fine, but buyer beware, I would not risk it for feeding to my friends and family, let alone a BBQ competition.
And at $5.99/40lb bag VS any other BBQ pellet at $25-$50/40lb bag, I think that would raise enough red flags that they aren't intended for cooking with.

But enjoy, what do I know.

Cheers,
SS
Old 06-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
Louisiana LG900
(yes they are food safe)
NO!!!
Old 06-18-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
NO!!!
YES!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Louisiana LG900
(yes they are food safe)

KyleSS, these pellets are specific to pellet stoves for heating purposes and they make no mention of using them for food grade BBQing on their website.
I spoke to many people that are on the BBQ circuit and not one of those guys would ever consider using these pellets for cooking with.
I know to some people, a wood fire is a wood fire, but I would not be recommending a product that is unintended for food grade.
I've searched to try and find what kind of wood they are made of and all the bag and website says is Hardwood. Every bag of pellets I have used and that are intended for cooking with states the exact type of wood they are made of. Hickory, Oak, Pecan, Cherry, Apple etc.
To each their own and I hope they are fine, but buyer beware, I would not risk it for feeding to my friends and family, let alone a BBQ competition.
And at $5.99/40lb bag VS any other BBQ pellet at $25-$50/40lb bag, I think that would raise enough red flags that they aren't intended for cooking with.

Cheers,
SS
If you did any research at all you would have found right on their website that it say they can be used in pellet bbq

Old 06-18-2018, 04:01 PM

Louisiana's LG brand isn't even made in Canada, it is made in China. Only the CS line by Louisiana is made in Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post

pitt boss is louisianas lower end brand. They arent made local. Id be surprised if the pitt bosses were even made in canada.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Louisiana LG900
(yes they are food safe)

Cheers,
SS
It took me 2 minutes to dig this up on my phone. I can see you looked real hard. Also, if you dare look, it also say what wood their pellets are made of but the don't guarantee what % in each bag since it all depends on what kind of wood they are cutting.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
It took me 2 minutes to dig this up on my phone. I can see you looked real hard. Also, if you dare look, it also say what wood their pellets are made of but the don't guarantee what % in each bag since it all depends on what kind of wood they are cutting.

It says approved pellet bbqs, look for one that says you can use heating pellets in them smarty. I have GMG’s, a yoder and a gorilla and they all say no heating pellets, you use what you want, ill use what the grill manufacturer recommends