Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 12:42 PM

Default US Goods Boycott?

With all the talk in the media of how Canada is being attacked by Trump on trade, there's lots of articles out there about boycotting US products. I'm curious if anyone has actually purchased a Canadian made alternative to a US brand they normally support.

Personally, I've been a Jack Daniels guy for quite some time but I'm going to be switching to Canadian Whiskey as soon as my bottle is empty. Makes me feel patriotic

Anyone else?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:00 PM

Yup only going to use Len Thompson spoons this year and shoot my Cooey with some old Dominion Canadian ammo. I hope our douche canoe Prime Minister will be proud of me. #gotrump
Old 06-19-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
With all the talk in the media of how Canada is being attacked by Trump on trade, there's lots of articles out there about boycotting US products. I'm curious if anyone has actually purchased a Canadian made alternative to a US brand they normally support.

Personally, I've been a Jack Daniels guy for quite some time but I'm going to be switching to Canadian Whiskey as soon as my bottle is empty. Makes me feel patriotic

Anyone else?
I didn’t feel very patriotic when I was in Palm Springs and bought a 60oz bottle of Canadian Club for $17.95. That’s about $24 Canadian.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:32 PM

I switched to Hunts ketchup
Vegetables are going to be hard not to buy not much Canadian grown during the winter

Vote with your wallet. Lots of produce from other countries and many better vacation spots.

I'd like to be patriotic and by a Ford GT. There is one little problem with my plan though....
Old 06-19-2018, 01:41 PM

Rather buy American than Chinese.
Definitely will stay away from California as a vacation spot.
No problem with Wyoming, Utah, Arizona.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Trump has every right to Slap tariff,s on products, Canada charges a 25% tariff on cars compared to 2.5% charged by the US, Steel - Canada 25%, US-0%, Aluminium -Canada-45% US -0%, Copper Canada - 48%, US -0%, HVAC Equip.- Canada -45% - US-0%, Vaccums Canada - 35%, - US - 3.5%, cable boxes - Canada - 35% - US - 3.5%, TV,s Canada - 45%, - US - 5%. Canada has a 270% tariff on dairy products..
Canada has been taking advantage of the US for a lot of years.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:12 PM

I'm not trying to argue economics or politics. Just talking about alternatives to US made purchases.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:16 PM

What if you agree with many of Trump's arguments?

What if it is time to end the subsidies on both sides of the border?

Or what if I don't mind the US tax payer subsidizing my grocery bill?
Old 06-19-2018, 02:18 PM

I have always tried to buy Canadian first, if not US products second. The rest is usually just junk, excluding electronics.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
Trump has every right to Slap tariff,s on products, Canada charges a 25% tariff on cars compared to 2.5% charged by the US, Steel - Canada 25%, US-0%, Aluminium -Canada-45% US -0%, Copper Canada - 48%, US -0%, HVAC Equip.- Canada -45% - US-0%, Vaccums Canada - 35%, - US - 3.5%, cable boxes - Canada - 35% - US - 3.5%, TV,s Canada - 45%, - US - 5%. Canada has a 270% tariff on dairy products..

Canada makes TV's and Vacuums?
Old 06-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Where did you get those numbers from??? You've been watching to much Fox TV

Last edited by Scott h; 06-19-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
I'm not trying to argue economics or politics. Just talking about alternatives to US made purchases.
The US produces very little these days that I'd feel the need to purchase.
Most of my purchases lately have been produce but I do try to buy Canadian hothouse products or local grown in season.

Last edited by Scott h; 06-19-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:30 PM

Just placed an order with Brownell's. Items I ordered are not available in Canada.

Mr Conservation
Old 06-19-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post
Just placed an order with Brownell's. Items I ordered are not available in Canada.

Mr Conservation
When you get your products it will be interesting to see where they were actually made.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Where did you get those numbers from??? You've been watching to much Fox TV
This is from the 1993 signing of NAFTA to 2017 , Sources:US Office of the United States Trade Representative,US, International Trade Commission, Canadian Minister of International Trade, You must be a true Liberal.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
This is from the 1993 signing of NAFTA to 2017 , Sources:US Office of the United States Trade Representative,US, International Trade Commission, Canadian Minister of International Trade, You must be a true Liberal.
I thought there were no current tariffs on vehicles vehicles produced in North America ???
Actually I don't vote Liberal.

Quote;
"According to the North American Free Trade Agreement, there is no duty to be paid if the goods are for personal use and "the goods are marked as made in the United States, Canada or Mexico, or the goods are not marked or labelled to indicate that they were made anywhere other than in the United States, Canada or Mexico."[2]"

Last edited by Scott h; 06-19-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Canada makes TV's and Vacuums?
Talking head on some business TV show I watched the other night said the problem is Canadian importers bringing these products in from Asia and China then exporting them to the US under the guise that they originated in Canada thus skirting US tariffs on Asian and Chinese goods. Whether this is true or not I dunno?
Old 06-19-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Talking head on some business TV show I watched the other night said the problem is Canadian importers bringing these products in from Asia and China then exporting them to the US under the guise that they originated in Canada thus skirting US tariffs on Asian and Chinese goods. Whether this is true or not I dunno?
We get a ton of Asian crap through the US. I never used to pay duty on Cabela's stuff till Cabela's opened a Canadian branch. All of a sudden the US stuff had duty on it. Weird.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-19-2018, 05:16 PM

According to media:Canadians are offended by "Trump's insults against our Prime Minister". Many feel they ought to boycott U.S. products to retaliate against Trump's tariffs. Two totally different motives, IMO. Couldn't care less what the orange haired thing in Washington said about Mr. Dressup.
I don't really agree with a strategy of retaliatory tariffs. Any tariffs are a bad thing. No one wins with tariffs. And they jack up inflation. They make everything cost more.
As far as boycotting U.S. products goes, I'm in agreement, but as a protest to Trump's implementation of tariffs, and because I think The Donald is a dangerous dude to lead a country. He does things that only a dictator would do to people. The U.S. seems to be becoming more like North Korea since he took over.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:24 PM

I do not think a boycott will have any impact on the American economy.

Bobby
Old 06-19-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I thought there were no current tariffs on vehicles vehicles produced in North America ???
Actually I don't vote Liberal.

Quote;
"According to the North American Free Trade Agreement, there is no duty to be paid if the goods are for personal use and "the goods are marked as made in the United States, Canada or Mexico, or the goods are not marked or labelled to indicate that they were made anywhere other than in the United States, Canada or Mexico."[2]"
Mislead by government misdirection; it clearly states "no duty"...doesn't say anything about the punitive tarriffs that are imposed on many imports from the U.S.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-19-2018, 06:20 PM

Trump is going after china.
We are just a pawn.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Mislead by government misdirection; it clearly states "no duty"...doesn't say anything about the punitive tarriffs that are imposed on many imports from the U.S.
Quote posted by mclean; "Canada charges a 25% tariff on cars compared to 2.5% charged by the US,"

I've looked every where and can't find mention of current tariffs on US vehicles coming into Canada. Please help me find it......
Old 06-19-2018, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Vegetables are going to be hard not to buy not much Canadian grown during the winter
You can buy high quality, fresh, local veggies year around at the Strathcona Farmers Market. A bit of a drive from Lloyd though.

Plenty of hothouses on the prairies.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:04 PM
Banned

Hey, how are you guys doing with smuggling all those shoes the Donald is tweeting about? What's your best way?

Wear them? What if you have more than one pair? Declare them? What if they exceed the $800 exemption? Ship them and don't declare them?

I'm thinking I may have to adjust my shoe smuggling routine.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:53 PM

There are all manner of weird tariffs on both sides of the border. Look up the USA's 'chicken tax' which hits foreign made vehicles, primarily commercial types rather than passenger vehicles.

Example: The Ford Transit Connect (little minivan) is made in Turkey, they bolt in passenger seats in the back to qualify them as passenger vehicles, then remove the seats once they're here. The Mercedes Sprinter vans going to the USA are built in Germany, then partially disassembled so that they can be re-assembled enough in the USA to avoid the 'chicken tax' (it's a whole 'nother story behind how the tax got its nickname). Mercedes is nearly ready to open a new plant to build Sprinters in the USA so they will not have to go through that rigamarole anymore. I just got a Sprinter van that is among the last that Canada will receive from Germany, presently ours don't have to be disassembled and re-assembled but with the US plant starting production it would not make sense to ship them to Canada from Germany.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Rite View Post
I do not think a boycott will have any impact on the American economy.

Bobby
Your absoluely right. A rain drop in a river, a grain of sand.

I like trump, comapared to the clown we have in charge. Putting his fellow citizens first. Wow what a concept. Complete opposite of trudeau
Old 06-19-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I like trump, comapared to the clown we have in charge. Putting his fellow citizens first. Wow what a concept. Complete opposite of trudeau
It is a novel idea