Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 05:17 PM

Default Hunting the fort chipewyan winter road

I lived in fort McMurray for a number of years and never once did the drive on the fort chipewyan winter road. I have since moved away for fort mac but doing this trip or drive what ever you want to call it still intrested me. So I am planning a trip for this winter I was thing the first part of January when grouse season is still open so that way I can do some hunting on my way. If any one has done this trip before please tell me some tips for it and it would be even better to talk to people who have done the drive and hunting while doing it.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 PM

Guided there for years for Bear. I wouldn't wast my time. Over 8 years of bear guiding I saw no moose or deer along the road and only one bear. There is no grass. Only place that will have anything is along the rivers and that is where the critters travel
Old 06-19-2018, 06:03 PM

Did that drive in 2014 . Nice drive saw many tarmigan. No grouse. I went from ft mac , ft chip, ft smith , hay river , high level, east to lacrete, red earth , slave lake, athabasca, grassland , ft mac. Only saw wild life ft mac to hay river. Diesel in ft chip was only 8 to 5 and none fron noon till one. No side roads to hunt.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:53 PM

Make sure to stay all the way to the right going up any of the blind hills.

A Ford Raptor came over one hill in excess of 100kph and the tires never hit the ground until he was 20 feet past our Pilot. My whole family would be dead if I had been in the middle of the road.

Also, if you break down there is a good chance there won’t be anything left of you vehicle by the time you get back to it. We saw 2 freshly burned out wrecks on the one trip we went in.

It’s a cool drive and the museum in Chip is worth seeing but at the end of the day I wouldn’t do it again.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Did that drive in 2014 . Nice drive saw many tarmigan. No grouse. I went from ft mac , ft chip, ft smith , hay river , high level, east to lacrete, red earth , slave lake, athabasca, grassland , ft mac. Only saw wild life ft mac to hay river. Diesel in ft chip was only 8 to 5 and none fron noon till one. No side roads to hunt.
Tarmigan are fine by me!