Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-01-2023, 11:25 AM

Default Buying a used boat wisdom

Hello all, going to be purchasing a used fishing boat soon, sometimes here in spring. Won't be a small purchase. Let your advice be known on what to look for etc, already have a good idea but it never hurts to ask and see what other people know and have learnt/experienced. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:44 PM

If your Edmonton I could show you my two aluminum boats and explain what to look for. Fiberglass is difficult to repair when the wood and foam absorb a bunch of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2023, 01:55 PM

Check them out just like a car ,and all ways take it for a test drive for a least 1/2 hr on a lake . check the gauges ,vibrations everything how much water in haul after wards should be zero . Does it start good cold and does it start good after its been run . If you don't know what to look for bring a friend who does .
Crawl under the boat and look at the haul and inside the haul . If your spending lots of money on the boat bring it in to a boat shop.
You may trust the guy you are buying it from ,but things can break over winter that he does not even know they broke .
The more boats you look at ,the more things you will know what to look for
Even a slightly damaged prop can cost around $200-$$800 .
If you don't replace it you can send vibrations up the leg and take out bearings
Ps. Be sure you get the trailer SN on the bill of sale so you can get a plate .

Last edited by -JR-; 04-01-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Check them out just like a car ,and all ways take it for a test drive for a least 1/2 hr on a lake .
While it is a great advise - rare boat seller will let you do that ( even boat dealers won't do that in my experience) , especially if nearest lake with boat launch is 1-1.5hrs drive.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
While it is a great advise - rare boat seller will let you do that ( even boat dealers won't do that in my experience) , especially if nearest lake with boat launch is 1-1.5hrs drive.
Then they are hiding something .
Its just like shopping for a car ,would you buy it if the guy said no test driving it !
Old 04-01-2023, 02:45 PM

Pile up your money ina big pile and burn it. It’s a lot faster 😝
Old 04-01-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Its just like shopping for a car ,would you buy it if the guy said no test driving it !
Who the heck would ever grant you that request?

If you like it buy it but you are not taking my boat unless the money is in my hand.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 04-01-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
If you would be selling 20-30k boat would you let some stranger take it to the lake and test drive it?
It is different if you live near the lake I guess, then you can meet by the lake and do test drive together. But when I was shopping for my first boat none of the dealers in Calgary or Nanton would let you take their boat out of the lot and test drive it.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:15 PM

Then go with the potential buyer for their test drive. That way you can show them the features and how they work out on the water.
Especially if it's a higher priced rig. If the seller really wants to sell it, they'll do what they can to put your mind at ease.

Last edited by Howard Hutchinson; 04-01-2023 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonchudyk View Post
Hello all, going to be purchasing a used fishing boat soon, sometimes here in spring. Won't be a small purchase. Let your advice be known on what to look for etc, already have a good idea but it never hurts to ask and see what other people know and have learnt/experienced. Thank you in advance.
Have the seller put on some muffs and start the motor so you can hear it run not just at idle, put it in and out of forward and reverse. Make sure the motor is pumping water out the leg and if a 4 stroke check see how clean the oil is and when was the last time it was changed.

If it includes a front troller get the remote and make sure that too is working, check the tailer wheels and see if any grease is coming out, mabe some seals have gone and need replaceing.

Figure you will spend some money on bearings for the trailer as well as maybe tires and a spare if it does not have one.

Ask point blank if it has any leaks and have it mentioned on the bill of sale

Good luck in your hunt.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:41 PM

What are you looking for? Small boat like a tinner or a bigger boat for wifey/kids.
Like other said I would be test driving if owner don’t like it move on, to next boat.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Probably the price point you’re thinking of and possibly a cultural thing.

Here a water test and survey is expected on anything approaching a “normal” to high end boat. Nobody is shelling out real money without testing the product.

Typically on boats in the six to eight figure range the two parties negotiate a deal, then the buyer has to put a deposit on the boat subject to a survey and water test or one/other. After the survey and water test are completed there may be some more negotiation but it depends how things perform. Things like that are specified in most boat listings I look at locally. Similar to a home inspection in Alberta, it’s expected.

OP

You should try and give us an idea of how the boat will be used and what your objectives/experience is so people have a baseline for their suggestions. At this point you’re going to get some universal wisdom like check the oil and run the engine on muffs… and a lot of opinions but nothing specific to your needs.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Check them out just like a car ,and all ways take it for a test drive for a least 1/2 hr on a lake . check the gauges ,vibrations everything how much water in haul after wards should be zero . Does it start good cold and does it start good after its been run . If you don't know what to look for bring a friend who does .
Crawl under the boat and look at the haul and inside the haul . If your spending lots of money on the boat bring it in to a boat shop.
You may trust the guy you are buying it from ,but things can break over winter that he does not even know they broke .
The more boats you look at ,the more things you will know what to look for
Even a slightly damaged prop can cost around $200-$$800 .
If you don't replace it you can send vibrations up the leg and take out bearings
Ps. Be sure you get the trailer SN on the bill of sale so you can get a plate .

Thanks JR, taking the boat onto a lake surely would be best, not always an option due to a few reasons. You can check most items without doing that though.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
What are you looking for? Small boat like a tinner or a bigger boat for wifey/kids.
Like other said I would be test driving if owner don’t like it move on, to next boat.
18 foot range, , fishing/ski cross over, leaning towards glass, have lots in mind.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:53 PM

Go over to Iboats.com lots of info on boats there,
Old 04-01-2023, 08:23 PM

I’ve bought and sold a lot of boats. If having a water test drive is a deal breaker for you, you’re going to have a really hard time finding and buying a boat.

As a seller, I wouldn’t be willing to make a specific trip to a lake and spend my time and money on a test drive unless I had firm deal in place and some kind of a non-refundable deposit. If the buyer insists, but isn’t willing to commit to that requirement, then I’m walking away, they aren’t a serious buyer. If a potential buyer wants to work around my schedule, meet me on the lake somewhere and jump in for a bit, then no problem, happy to do it.

I’ve sold several boats this way, some sight unseen, and some we’ve met at the lake and went through a test/demo ride where I walked the new buyer through everything about the boat and got them comfortable with operating it. It’s never been an issue for me either buying or selling.

As far as 18’ fish and ski boats go, there’s a limited number of boats in that category, and even fewer that are glass. Do your homework, have your cash in hand, be willing to travel, and be ready to strike quickly when the right deal comes along.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:48 PM

My advice with used boats is to check the transom by lifting up on the outboard when trimmed up to see if it flexes, check the floor for any soft spots, and have the outboard looked over by a local shop if possible.

Obviously, look at the bottom as well for any signs of damage or repair, but that’s pretty obvious. The three I listed are more in depth repairs if there is an issue.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-01-2023, 08:59 PM

I had a car stolen many years ago from a fellow who took it for a test drive. I caught him myself with it many hours later after the police failed to. I won't repeat on a public forum how that confrontation went when I caught up to him and forced him out of my car but suffice it to say I got my car back!
The cost to replace my boat as it is currently set up is upwards of $90,000. Good luck taking it for a test drive. Never had anyone ever ask to test drive the three I previously owned but I was happy to take them to the nearest boat launch a few minutes from my door and back the trailer in far enough to fire up the engine for them and run it up under load so they knew it was good to go plus I have always kept all service records for their perusal and to go with the sale.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:09 PM

Shelling out 50 or more to buy a good used boat, I would & did drive to a few lakes for water tests with the owner present.

When I sell to upgrade hopefully, I would easy have serious buyers meet me at the lake when I'm going fishing anyhow.

As far as dealers go, they have a shop, business, & reputation to uphold, pick one with a good name & buy in confidence. Best of luck, boat ownership is expensive but really satisfying!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-01-2023, 09:31 PM

I have bought and sold dozens and dozens of boats and never once test driven one, nor been asked to test drive what I sold.

It's pretty straightforward what to look for in a boat. Run the motor in the driveway (ear muffs or bucket) inspect the hull, trailer, floor, transom, etc.. as well as any electronics. If you are unsure what you are looking for, bring someone who knows something about boats.

If you are buying a tinner, it's way easier. Run the motor, inspect the hull, transom and fill it with water to see if it leaks. Boats leak inside to out the sameway they leak outside to in. No rocket science there if that's a big concern and 5 minutes with a hose will tell you everything you need to know on smaller boats.

On bigger boats, you can do this, but generally speaking, the make/model and reputation of the boat, as well as a visual inspection should be enough. Rivet tapping or running a visual down the weld lines is pretty good.

If someone wanted to "test pilot" my boat, There would definitely be a non-refundable deposit of some $500-$1000 there (cash in hand).

I am not going to waste a full day for a tire kicker. Boats are very easy to sell, and go quickly.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Probably the price point you’re thinking of and possibly a cultural thing.

Here a water test and survey is expected on anything approaching a “normal” to high end boat. Nobody is shelling out real money without testing the product.

Typically on boats in the six to eight figure range the two parties negotiate a deal, then the buyer has to put a deposit on the boat subject to a survey and water test or one/other. After the survey and water test are completed there may be some more negotiation but it depends how things perform. Things like that are specified in most boat listings I look at locally. Similar to a home inspection in Alberta, it’s expected.

OP

You should try and give us an idea of how the boat will be used and what your objectives/experience is so people have a baseline for their suggestions. At this point you’re going to get some universal wisdom like check the oil and run the engine on muffs… and a lot of opinions but nothing specific to your needs.
6 to eight figure price? Yeah .............. I'm fairly certain most of the advice given here is not for a purchase of a $100,000 to 10 million dollar plus boat.

If I was dropping that kind of money on a used boat - I agree - I'm driving it
Old 04-01-2023, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have bought and sold dozens and dozens of boats and never once test driven one, nor been asked to test drive what I sold.

It's pretty straightforward what to look for in a boat. Run the motor in the driveway (ear muffs or bucket) inspect the hull, trailer, floor, transom, etc.. as well as any electronics. If you are unsure what you are looking for, bring someone who knows something about boats.

If you are buying a tinner, it's way easier. Run the motor, inspect the hull, transom and fill it with water to see if it leaks. Boats leak inside to out the sameway they leak outside to in. No rocket science there if that's a big concern and 5 minutes with a hose will tell you everything you need to know on smaller boats.

On bigger boats, you can do this, but generally speaking, the make/model and reputation of the boat, as well as a visual inspection should be enough. Rivet tapping or running a visual down the weld lines is pretty good.

If someone wanted to "test pilot" my boat, There would definitely be a non-refundable deposit of some $500-$1000 there (cash in hand).

I am not going to waste a full day for a tire kicker. Boats are very easy to sell, and go quickly.

Haha I have had more than one guy wanting to show me how good it runs but never bother to put it in a bucket or use muffs.
I just nod and smile and say “I’ll think it over and get back to you “
Old 04-02-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Who the heck would ever grant you that request?

If you like it buy it but you are not taking my boat unless the money is in my hand.
when i bought my campion boat the dealer took me to a lake and did a demo . great way to sell a boat, i would not buy with out that demo.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:23 AM

I think most fishing boat sellers would be happy to meet at a lake and go for a fish. The potential buyer pays the gas! I would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2023, 07:43 PM

Make sure boat trailer has a visible vin plate/number on the trailer. Cost is about $200 if there is no visible # stamped on the trailer. Tandem axle is about $400.

Beware of buying out of province. You may be liable for sales tax and AB registration of trailer can get complicated.

Ensure boat trailer is currently registered in AB. While brown registration slip is not necessary, I still like to get it from seller. AB registry is now charging $28 to run a Vin #

Use the gov’t form for the bill of sale - registry is getting very picky and this way you have all the necessary information.

I get separate bills of sale for boat and trailer
Old 04-03-2023, 09:39 AM

I don't know about Alberta (well, I kind of do, having bought and sold one boat) but in Manitoba, the second any decent boat goes up for sale at a decent price on Kijiji or Marketplace or wherever....... you'd better be there within a couple hours with cash or certified cheque in hand.....it will be gone. There are no test drives, no hassles to the seller....... you just check it out, try to get as much info as you can (hours on the motor most crucial) and then put your money down. It is a seller's market BY FAR.......
Old 04-03-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Haha I have had more than one guy wanting to show me how good it runs but never bother to put it in a bucket or use muffs.
I just nod and smile and say “I’ll think it over and get back to you “
First tell tale sign..LOL
Old 04-03-2023, 02:17 PM

Sledhead71 just posted he is looking to sell one of his boats. Not sure if it's what you're looking for. Right size for what you said. I use my 17 ft. Sylvan for fishing and pleasure (water ski and tubing). Works for me
Old 04-03-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
6 to eight figure price? Yeah .............. I'm fairly certain most of the advice given here is not for a purchase of a $100,000 to 10 million dollar plus boat.

If I was dropping that kind of money on a used boat - I agree - I'm driving it
Hmm, what if I'm looking at a hundred million dollar boat? Do I get a test drive first? lol
Old 04-03-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
Hmm, what if I'm looking at a hundred million dollar boat? Do I get a test drive first? lol
Not around these parts. Don't think that would be "just a boat" anymore.