Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 01:40 PM

Reasonable person better keep a reasonable head on his shoulders and better not do anything stupid with that firearm. He shoots he's charged guaranteed. If by chance he can prove life was endangered, and proven not guilty, it gonna cost a pile of $$. Think very very carefully about every step and as others have said better know the law. Best not use it if you don't have to.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:15 PM

Rummaging... what CBC call burgling when the burgler gets winged.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Rummaging... what CBC call burgling when the burgler gets winged.
Serious? Lol
Old 02-27-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The common denominator in both of the last homeowner shooting incidents is that most the perps have previous records for firearm offenses. In the Boushie case the two witnesses that caused the trouble had long records and in this case Watson was involved in an armed robbery. The best way to prevent these incidents is to keep these people in jail.

http://edmontonsun.com/2014/10/26/rc...0-a625fe995310
Perhaps this incident wouldn't be the best one to choose to attempt this. But, there has got to be a case out there somewhere where a criminal was given a slap on the wrist/ released early and then committed a heinous home invasion murder or rape.

Why not sue the government or judge in a civil suit for allowing that person to be allowed out into society? That might make judges think twice about letting criminals off easy.
Has anyone ever tried that?

Last edited by GStyler; 02-27-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:51 PM

Heard it on CBC Calgary around 7:30 AM. They reported as a man shot at someone "rummaging" in his car. May as well make it sound like he was out collecting donations for the church basement sale instead of breaking into cars and robbing people.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Assuming your open minded I'll ask again. What is the intent? Shoot someone or protect themselves and their property?
If the majority feels the same way why isn't it right then? Should be right it a majority assumes it is the correct thing to? Yes or no?
A lot of people dont like the laws out there for many different issues that doesnt mean we should be able to ingnore them. For example speed limits or photo radar are simple examples.

When i said people here are way too trigger happy its because you have many here claiming theyll shoot any thief on their property. Many here have a weird concept of what our laws allow someone to do....

Glad there was a good discussion on the other thread as its some basic common sense that many here seem to lack. They should sticky that thread.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:41 PM

Default Like the thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
Perhaps this incident wouldn't be the best one to choose to attempt this. But, there has got to be a case out there somewhere where a criminal was given a slap on the wrist/ released early and then committed a heinous home invasion murder or rape.

Why not sue the government or judge in a civil suit for allowing that person to be allowed out into society? That might make judges think twice about letting criminals off easy.
Has anyone ever tried that?
I really like this idea, if the criminal was supposed to serve a 10 year sentence and was released in 3 and re committed in the 7 year window, would the Canadian Government be liable? Its still all tax dollars, but might make a point!
Old 02-27-2018, 06:51 PM

Default Talk of killing people

One person on a similar thread was just banned for macho talk of killing people. If anyone posts about killing people, they are gone. End of story. Don't care about the context. The people who are respectfully interacting do not deserve another thread to go poof because of a few knuckleheads.

It reflects negatively on us all and will not be tolerated. Doesn't matter what your post count is or how well you are liked. You will be gone. It is a line that people are crossing and it is non-negotiable.

Thank you for your responsible participation in the forum.

Last edited by sns2; 02-27-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
A lot of people dont like the laws out there for many different issues that doesnt mean we should be able to ingnore them. For example speed limits or photo radar are simple examples.

When i said people here are way too trigger happy its because you have many here claiming theyll shoot any thief on their property. Many here have a weird concept of what our laws allow someone to do....

Glad there was a good discussion on the other thread as its some basic common sense that many here seem to lack. They should sticky that thread.
Didn't answer a single question.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:03 PM

Its just not worth the hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees you will spend on a defence lawyer if you end up hurting the thief.

Call the police or rcmp.

Build yourself a panic room in your home and enter the panic room and lock it up good if the thief tries to enter your home.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:36 PM

Some people who constantly have thieves stealing from them, causing damage or threatening them can only take it so long.
Being told not to worry as that’s what insurance is for and then having insurance companies double or triple your premiums or dropping you because you are too much of a risk.
Those who have had none of the above or maybe once just don’t get it.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Its just not worth the hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees you will spend on a defence lawyer if you end up hurting the thief.

Call the police or rcmp.

Build yourself a panic room in your home and enter the panic room and lock it up good if the thief tries to enter your home.

That'll be the day that I lock my family and myself in a panic room or closet. I pity those that buy into this horse ****.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
The only thing a reasonable person can assume when you are woken in the wee hours and find your belongings being pilfered is that it isn't a friendly visit. It is likely NOT the neighbours out raising cain. Reasonable guy is going to dial 911 and let them know he is monitoring the situation and is fearful and needs help. Reasonable guy might also convey that intruders might be armed. Fear is going to be 100% the biggest driver of any action that takes place past this point. When you live a half hour away from help the fear could easily become overwhelming. If said intruders don't vacate property after lights come on in house, yard light, dogs bark, etc etc what would be going through reasonable guys head at that point? Would it be reasonable to think that protection of self and loved ones could rocket to the top? With that thought in place, adrenline pounding and clock moving like molasses, what is reasonable guys most likely source of protection? Hopefully no one has to experience this but I can see how things could easily escalate out of control, meth heads cruising rural areas for quick and easy pickings don't think like of course, they are used to having their cake and eating it too. Poor old reasonable guy with back against the wall, prehaps wife screaming, kids hysterical, needs to take action, and take it now. Just sayin.
Well stated! It is easy to judge what someone has done"in the moment" while you are calmly sitting behind your computer.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:47 PM
Banned

http://calgarysun.com/news/local-new...ource=Facebook

Quote:
Ranchers in the foothills are standing behind an Okotoks man charged after shots were fired when two intruders came onto his property over the weekend.

Police said Edouard Maurice, who faces charges of aggravated assault, pointing a firearm and careless use of a firearm, had a confrontation with two alleged trespassers early Saturday morning.

Shots were fired and Ryan Watson, now facing trespassing and possession charges, was transported to hospital with a gunshot to his arm.

The incident has some locals fired up, saying rural break-ins are becoming far more common.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Hmmm. Rural folks are fed up with a lack of action. What a surprise.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

Call the police or rcmp.

Thanks for the laugh!
Old 02-27-2018, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

Call the police or rcmp.

don't know whether to laugh or think "is this guy serious?"
Old 02-27-2018, 10:50 PM

Would it make much difference if the home owner grabbed a knife or baseball bat instead of a firearm?
If home owners start phoning rcmp and stating the burglar tried to enter the home and the burglar had a firearm, would that get a quicker response? Would they be in trouble for "exaggerating" that out of fear?

I can't imagine what that would be like in the middle of the night. I hope I don't experience it
Old 02-27-2018, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Would it make much difference if the home owner grabbed a knife or baseball bat instead of a firearm?
If home owners start phoning rcmp and stating the burglar tried to enter the home and the burglar had a firearm, would that get a quicker response? Would they be in trouble for "exaggerating" that out of fear?

I can't imagine what that would be like in the middle of the night. I hope I don't experience it
There are different priority of calls that the officers are dispatched on. For myself I live approx 40 km from the nearest rcmp detachment. So let's say the lone officer one duty is at the detachment it'll take 1/2 hr before he's able to provide assistance and that is if he doesn't get lost on the way. If he's on patrol at the far end of his zone now what? It's not the officers fault because he can't be in the right spot at the right time. It's impossible. A police state? Who would want that? Being able to look after ones self is paramount in the rural areas without being prosecuted. I can understand and would welcome a inquiry of sorts before a victim is put on trial and made out to be a criminal.

Try swinging a bat. Might be a great tool if you've got the element of surprise. Without surprise you get one swing and you better hope it's gooder because once he's inside the zone guess where the bat is going to end up. Knife same thing.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:15 AM

For those who suggest suing judges for the results of their decisions, from what I recall from my high school law class way back I do believe they have immunity, which is by and large one of the reasons we see such stupid sentencing decisions out of so many judges on a repeat basis. I think we'd benefit from a system where judges are elected and thus have a reason to keep their conviction records reflecting the desires of the public.

I don't think the police are part of the problem with recidivists, they can only get to rural locations so fast. They would not be so overtaxed were it not for the judiciary constantly releasing recidivists who simply reoffend as soon as they're out of sight of a cop. I had heard of one offender in Calgary in the last 2-3 years who stole a vehicle from the parking lot of where he had just been released from mere minutes after getting out. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be for officers to be arresting the same people over and over again. It would be like a judge coming by my worksite with a sawzall and a sledgehammer and ruining the good thing I just built, and on a weekly basis if not more. This is what we have to attack, this is where our efforts should be in terms of campaigning our elected representatives for sensible change and judicial responsibility to public safety having an effect on their decision making process, rather than the current trend of being slaves to crossed T's, dotted i's and some of the utterly ridiculous minutia that winds up getting people off. Case in point: yesterday's news included details of one of the notorious Bacon brothers in BC getting the benefit of a decision based on a typo on a document.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/b...again-1.455453

The nature of the intent of law has been superseded by utter BS. And lawyers love it.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:24 AM
Banned

Good post caber.
Would love to see elected judges. The judges,lawyers and crimminals are not accountable to the public for their actions or inaction. Repeat offenders. Double the time served.

The police officers must get tired of beating their heads against the wall but I guess it gives them job security and all the ot they need.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:00 PM

Crazy....at hockey last night with the boys and my best buddy mentioned that the landowner in this case is his brother in law. I met the guy at his wedding last year. Edward Maurice is a beauty who wouldn't intentionally start anything like this. He saw 2burglars attempting to steal BOTH of his trucks while at home in middle of the day with his wife and small kid....ran out with a .22 and shot 2 warning shots into the dirt. One ricocheted and hit burglar in the arm. Burglars initially took off but decided to get medical help and hire a lawyer to sue Ed for damages.....hes a career thief who knows the loopholes and knew he would get caught for this so now he's going on the offensive to try and save his ass and screw Ed over.....sad to say but he will probably win in some regard.

I will verify if any gofundme's that are set up are legit. So far he's only had to pay $4000 in bail but might need help fighting this down the line.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
Crazy....at hockey last night with the boys and my best buddy mentioned that the landowner in this case is his brother in law. I met the guy at his wedding last year. Edward Maurice is a beauty who wouldn't intentionally start anything like this. He saw 2burglars attempting to steal BOTH of his trucks while at home in middle of the day with his wife and small kid....ran out with a .22 and shot 2 warning shots into the dirt. One ricocheted and hit burglar in the arm. Burglars initially took off but decided to get medical help and hire a lawyer to sue Ed for damages.....hes a career thief who knows the loopholes and knew he would get caught for this so now he's going on the offensive to try and save his ass and screw Ed over.....sad to say but he will probably win in some regard.

I will verify if any gofundme's that are set up are legit. So far he's only had to pay $4000 in bail but might need help fighting this down the line.
let me know I would like to help out it would be money well spent
Old 02-28-2018, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

I have a cousin who is a retired homicide detective. Years ago he used to say if youre going to shoot at a burglar make sure he can’t talk because he’ll come back to sue you!! I’ll probably get banned for repeating that....
Old 02-28-2018, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
I have a cousin who is a retired homicide detective. Years ago he used to say if youre going to shoot at a burglar make sure he can’t talk because he’ll come back to sue you!!
Heard this from a rcmp officer and a eps officer as well.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:

Let us know.

This guy needs all the support he can get.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:35 PM

.................................................. ...... Not a word from Okotokian......................................... Just sayin!

Dodger.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:

One correction before people start nit-picking. Apparently it was early morning....between 5-6am and not in middle of the day. Ed's other brother played on my team last year and his sister is married to my best buddy...I see them pretty much weekly....I'm going to text them tonight and let them know that there's a lot of people that have their backs, and ask if there's anything we can do to help.

We grew up in Otown and know a lot of the local landowners and it sounds like most are on Ed's side. Gotta love the country folk!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Burglars initially took off but decided to get medical help and hire a lawyer to sue Ed for damages.....hes a career thief
What would a career criminal be suing for? lost wages?

Keep us posted when the gofundme starts for Ed, not the meth head
Old 02-28-2018, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
.................................................. ...... Not a word from Okotokian......................................... Just sayin!

Dodger.
Ya, it’s a nice change, just sayin.
Closed Thread