Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2018, 07:08 AM

Default Let Kids Take Risks

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...tells-teachers

Having employed several recent high school graduates I agree with the above article. Common sense needs a comeback.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Spot on

I see this right now more so within the young work force, hear about it with young teens having issues...well stop hovering over them as they grow and develop, they will get pushed around, fall off thier bikes and develope to be strong individuals but if parents, care takers etc hover over them then they are creating a very weak individual that is not able to take care of themselves once the protective umbrella is removed...very true...just look around.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-03-2018, 08:05 AM

As a teacher, the last 20 years has been frustrating because of people being tooooooo empathy/sympathy/shelter/safe space ONLY. Then vilifying the ‘let em learn on their own / face consequences group. These are tools to be used in varying situations.

I am happy to inform you that we’re seeing a reemergence of ‘failure creates resilince’ Schools of thought.

Breath of fresh air.... too late for a generation methinks.

Helicopter parents............. sigh
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-03-2018, 08:08 AM

What happened to proper parenting?
Old 03-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
As a teacher, the last 20 years has been frustrating because of people being tooooooo empathy/sympathy/shelter/safe space ONLY. Then vilifying the ‘let em learn on their own / face consequences group. These are tools to be used in varying situations.

I am happy to inform you that we’re seeing a reemergence of ‘failure creates resilince’ Schools of thought.

Breath of fresh air.... too late for a generation methinks.

Helicopter parents............. sigh
Jeez I hope so Bessie. School my wife works at won't let the kids do somersaults. Guess they would rather have them sit there like lumps. Couldn't believe it when my wife told me this.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
It was replaced by Dr. Spock, and every other fruit loop dingus who came there after.

Videos and TV’s rear the children now, they have to. Mom and dad both have to work to afford their sun belt vacations, 30 foot RV, lake lot, and season tickets to what ever professional sports franchise out there.

The degradation of the classic mid 20 th century family unit, and the influx of instant this that and the other thing has turned the vast majority of a generation and a half into mindless wandering drones.

When our first child was born Mrs.D had no desire to return to the traditional employment ranks. She ran out the maternaty benifits, and started a day home out of our house. In 22 years she’s taken in and cared for close to a hundred children. These kids have learnt how to garden, cook, clean, as Mrs D goes about her domestic routine as if these children are our own.

Speaking of our own, that’s Jenna and the Pit Boss(Richard III) Jenna is 22, and a red seal hair stylist, and has grown a sizeable clientele through charm, ability and hard work, she currently rents a basement suite in the city, owns her own car which she paid for on her own through money she saved from being employed from age 15 and on. The Pit Boss is 19 working as an industrial insulator, pays rent at home, owns his own truck, quad and sled(paid for by himself) he’s been employed since he was 14 when he started at the local sporting goods store. Both of our kids are accomplished hunters, reload their own ammo, can pitch a tent, start a fire, and change their own oil.

We let them fall plenty as children. They learned with the dayhome kids, they went to kindergarten knowing the alphabet, and numbers, could spell simple words, they also knew right from wrong, spoke up when things weren’t right, supported those who needed a hand, and took care of their own “social dynamics” through the school years. They were quindesential social butterflies through the school years as well.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 03-03-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Proper parenting went the way of the dodo bird. It happened when kids weren't allowed to be spanked but rather encouraged be discussed calmly with no emotion. I'm sure my dad found he got better results when had a hold of my ear and booted my ass then telling me don't do that again.

Same idea but different as dicks comment.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:42 AM

It’s not just the kids...those helicopter parents that are now in their 30/40’s... are the nervous Nellie/softies from where those ideas emanate. Come on folks, face reality ... MY GENERATION WAS THE LAST TO BE PERFECT
Old 03-03-2018, 08:45 AM

It was replaced by Dr. Spock, and every other fruit loop dingus who came there after.

Videos and TV’s rear the children now, they have to. Mom and dad both have to work to afford their sun belt vacations, 30 foot RV, lake lot, and season tickets to what ever professional sports franchise out there.

The degradation of the classic mid 20 th century family unit, and the influx of instant this that and the other thing has turned the vast majority of a generation and a half into mindless wandering drones.

Bingo, so much truth in this.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-03-2018, 08:48 AM

Let kids take risks ???

Sheesh, how about let your adult children take risks?

I see mothers hovering over their thug sons almost every night on the news, telling the world that their loving son couldn't possibly be responsible for some brutish behaviour. It must be some one else's fault.

I often see mothers on our local community FB pages trying to set up job interviews for their adult sons, while he spends his days gaming on the couch.

If they try their hand at any risky venture, it's only if Mom is there, ready to supply what they need and bail them out if they fail.

A lot of them don't even have a driver's license. It's too much of a hassle to get it, kind of scary, and Mom's happy to drive them anywhere they need to go - it's safer that way.

I've had to refuse mothers from sitting in on job interviews I was performing with young adults. Thankfully privacy laws are generally well known now - I used to have whole families trying to interfere with poor Johnny's job performance corrections until I started telling them that it was against the law for an employer to discuss anything about their adult child.

Of course, my Mom was at the other end of the spectrum - when we were underfoot as kids, her suggestion was always "Why don't you kids go and play on the 401 highway?"
Old 03-03-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Let kids take risks ???

Sheesh, how about let your adult children take risks?

I see mothers hovering over their thug sons almost every night on the news, telling the world that their loving son couldn't possibly be responsible for some brutish behaviour. It must be some else's fault.

I often see mothers on our local community FB pages trying to set up job interviews for their adult sons, while he spends his days gaming on the couch.

If they try their hand at any risky venture, it's only if Mom is there ready to supply what they need and bail them out if they fail.

A lot of them don't even have a driver's license. It's too much of a hassle to get it, kind of scary, and Mom's happy to drive them anywhere they need to go - it's safer that way.

I've had to refuse mothers from sitting in on job interviews I was performing with young adults. Thankfully privacy laws are generally well known now - I used to have whole families trying to interfere with poor Johnny's job performance corrections until I started telling them that it was against the law for an employer to discuss anything about their adult child.

Of course, my Mom was at the other end of the spectrum - when we were underfoot as kids, her suggestion was always "Why don't you kids go and play on the 401 highway?"
You’ve just described Mrs D’s sister and their two sons.
How 2 girls from the same parents could approach parenting from opposite ends of the spectrum is beyond me.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-03-2018, 09:03 AM

Default I just found this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Jeez I hope so Bessie. School my wife works at won't let the kids do somersaults. Guess they would rather have them sit there like lumps. Couldn't believe it when my wife told me this.
There’s a k-3 school that has permission to do a pilot project study .... they are going to allow kids to do ‘rough and tumble’ play on the playgrounds at recess.

See if kids learn resiliency....and conflict management skills.

I said ‘wow’ when I heard this..... that’s fresh air man .
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-03-2018, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
There’s a k-3 school that has permission to do a pilot project study .... they are going to allow kids to do ‘rough and tumble’ play on the playgrounds at recess.

See if kids learn resiliency....and conflict management skills.

I said ‘wow’ when I heard this..... that’s fresh air man .
Yessir what a relieving thought. Hope they keep the psychologists and counsoulers out of it. Be nice to see the kids being kids again like we grew up.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:21 AM
Banned

Don't get me going.
My boys (14 & 17) are both into (among other 'dangerous pursuits') airsoft milsim gaming.
I was recently dressed down by a parent at their school, admonishing me how I could let my kids engage in such a 'dangerous' game.
This annoyed me on a number of levels...how dare you try and tell me how to parent...and really, I've been hit with an airsoft bb. It stings but I wouldn't exactly say it's 'dangerous'.
And in the future their little darlings are going to be voting making laws.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Banned

Proper parenting ?? I believe there's an APP for that
Old 03-03-2018, 09:35 AM

I would post a document drafted in the mid 90’s that would support much of the sentiment here but it would likely be considered too religious for discussion.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-03-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I guessing that the timeframe in which it started to slip was about the same time that electronic gaming got a foothold.

It became an easy way to babysit the kids, sort of speak, parents didn't need to have to spend all their time with the kids ( parents could get a break ) .

When they did spend time together ....electronic games soon became a ( perceived ) good way to be with your child .

So instead of spending time physically talking with your child and teaching life lessons and values etc ...at those young developing years , it was spent on the couch ...indoors etc .

But it was fun for all , so that had to count for something

Technology makes life better ...Right ...???

Certainly, this is not the only problem, and not all got into the games etc.

But I do think that this is part of the answer, to your question of " What happened to proper parenting? "
Old 03-03-2018, 09:54 AM

I'm a millennial (Born in 88).

When I was in school we still played rough and tumble games. Had dares on who could walk on the thinnest ice (I've fallen through ice a few times, pretty stupid game). Got a DL at 16, job at 15. Did all sorts of stupid, dangerous stuff throughout school, and so did most everyone else. I doubt it's changed all that much and I bet this is at least a little over blown.