Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:58 AM

Default Support for Okotoks Landowner Edouard Maurice

Hey Guys

Here are the 2 support pages for legal defense for Eddie Maurice. I've confirmed with his brother that they are legit. Can someone on Canadian Gun Nutz please make a post there as well...much appreciated.

Lets try and go to bat for Eddie and his young family. This case could be a big precedence setter for future cases of protecting ones property, so lets try and get Eddie the best possible chance at fighting this.

If found guilty Eddie could be facing a minimum of 2-5 yrs and a max of 15 yrs in jail, not to mention additional fines and damages. Lets try and help in any way we can

https://www.gofundme.com/edouard-maurice-support-fund

http://corymorgan.com/support-edouard-maurice/
Old 03-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Banned

I will be making a direct deposit when I get out of the bush.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Good point. I'm not even sure why we have any criminal laws when really it's the hard working citizens who pay for everything they have with money they earned we should be focused on persecuting....
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Even if he is found innocent the toll this will take on his family can't be worth whatever was in that truck.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Even if he is found innocent the toll this will take on his family can't be worth whatever was in that truck.
I don’t think you understand the toll that thieves put on rural families.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
The satisfaction of standing up for himself is priceless though. If you had a spine you might understand this. Until then stay in the house and watch people take you're stuff. When your yard is cleaned out feel free to hide under your bed because there might be something in the house they need or want.
Doing pretty good so far. Got a yard filled with vehicles and lots of other stuff. You call me spineless yet you're the one living in fear. Never said I would stand by and watch. I wouldn't fire a gun at someone though unless my family or myself were in actual danger.

Tell you what. After the trial is over ask him if he'd do it all over again.

I have nothing that can't be replaced other than my family. So they come first. Not the change in my ashtray.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:09 PM

Donation made
Old 03-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Doing pretty good so far. Got a yard filled with vehicles and lots of other stuff. You call me spineless yet you're the one living in fear. Never said I would stand by and watch. I wouldn't fire a gun at someone though unless my family or myself were in actual danger.

Tell you what. After the trial is over ask him if he'd do it all over again.

I have nothing that can't be replaced other than my family. So they come first. Not the change in my ashtray.

You don't believe Ed did the proper thing? Because it sure seems like you are helping drive his defence fund. I can only speak for myself but I'm sure there are like minded people because the diaharia you are spreading makes me want to donate more and more. Keep it up.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
You don't believe Ed did the proper thing? Because it sure seems like you are helping drive his defence fund. I can only speak for myself but I'm sure there are like minded people because the diaharia you are spreading makes me want to donate more and more. Keep it up.
Nope I don't. At no point was he in danger. Now look at what's happened because of the choices he's made. Donate away I have no problem with that. I'm sure ed is a good guy but he made a poor choice.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:25 PM

The fools who chose to steal from an innocent guy and force him to decide if the intruders were armed and what their intentions were, that’s who should be reviewing the choices they made.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
If found guilty Eddie could be facing a minimum of 2-5 yrs and a max of 15 yrs in jail, not to mention additional fines and damages. Lets try and help in any way we can.
A minimum of 2-5 years in jail? That seems a little stiff for aggravated assault, pointing a firearm and careless use of a firearm. I think that fella that shot a thief with bird shot only got probation or something like that. I wonder if the caliber of the firearm used is a consideration. What type of firearm did Eddie use?
Old 03-03-2018, 01:29 PM

Is it just me, or is the General Forum turning in to a string of train wrecks, one after the other.....?

Just curious.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Banned

Give the criminals an inch and they might as well take everything.

Honestly... Canadian laws are so toothless and cowardly that it might as well have a tl;dr note on the bottom. Saying "These laws will only apply to honest citizens and will be made an example of; all criminals get a very light slap on the wrist or no at all"
Old 03-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by urcayuse View Post
The fools who chose to steal from an innocent guy and force him to decide if the intruders were armed and what their intentions were, that’s who should be reviewing the choices they made.
I agree with you. And once again ill say I did not write the laws. Fact of the matter is we are all responsible for the choices we make regardless of whether you agree with the law. If you don't agree with the law lobby for change.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
It is frustrating to read the drivel on here by the same 3-4 members. They care and know little about rural people or firearms, and degrade both constantly. They do know how to stir the pot, their only goal really, just ignore them and they will move on.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Is it just me, or is the General Forum turning in to a string of train wrecks, one after the other.....?

Just curious.
It’s a trolls paradise.

There’s always that one guy who just has to grand stand, and be a martyr.

Look at this forum and who it’s directed at. It wouldn’t take a grade 6 education to predict where the vast majority of members sit on numerous social and political issues. But there’s always those who come here for what ever reason to “lob live hand grenades over the fence”.
And at that end if we’d only report these types by use of the red triangle, and quite engaging them (that’s what they want) they will tire and move on.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-03-2018, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
It is frustrating to read the drivel on here by the same 3-4 members. They care and know little about rural people or firearms, and degrade both constantly. They do know how to stir the pot, their only goal really, just ignore them and they will move on.
I agree with you about there being a small group spouting drivel.

And just so we are clear. I grew up and still live in the country. Want to know how many people I've had to shoot? None. My neighbors is a cattle rancher and his pole barn was broke into. Did he

A) start packing a gun
B) install a new steel gate?

It was b. Crazy eh. I even helped him build the gate because I'm a welder.

My other neighbor who is also a cattle rancher stops by regularly for a chat. You have to drive by my place to get to his so anytime I see I vehicle I don't know I go see who it is. He info turn checks up on my place if we go out of town.

I can't believe how scared to death some of you are.

BOO
Old 03-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Banned

I just got refunded my donation. What is going on here?
Old 03-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree with you about there being a small group spouting drivel.

And just so we are clear. I grew up and still live in the country. Want to know how many people I've had to shoot? None. My neighbors is a cattle rancher and his pole barn was broke into. Did he

A) start packing a gun
B) install a new steel gate?

It was b. Crazy eh. I even helped him build the gate because I'm a welder.

My other neighbor who is also a cattle rancher stops by regularly for a chat. You have to drive by my place to get to his so anytime I see I vehicle I don't know I go see who it is. He info turn checks up on my place if we go out of town.

I can't believe how scared to death some of you are.

BOO
It has nothing to be with being scared to death, it has to do with final deterrents and true justice.

Nobody here is looking for opportunities. They just don't want to be a victim.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:14 PM

What do you do when intruders bust into your yard? Go back to bed and pray? Hopefully they only want your truck. Maybe just leave the door open too cause you’ve got some pretty nice electronics. Surely they have no ill intentions to you or your family.
How can you possibly know? No matter what you do it’ll be wrong in someone’s eyes l guess. Waiting until they’re in the house is too late I figure.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Banned

I don't sleep in my yard so like I said, unless my family is threatened I wouldn't fire a shot. It's literally that simple
Old 03-03-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I don't sleep in my yard so like I said, unless my family is threatened I wouldn't fire a shot. It's literally that simple
Agree!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
You sir are an enabler for the thieves that hard working folks are forced to live and deal with. Your ideology is that of a panty waisted left wing troll. I won’t bother arguing with you because I don’t argue with idiots!

All of society is affected when these losers get away with their crimes. Everyone pays more for insurance and our quality of life is lessened. It’s time that the criminals quality of life suffered. If the legal system took care of these thieves we wouldn’t even be discussing this here today.

BW
Ok you betcha bud. I'm a thief enabler because I look out for my neighbors but don't agree with killing someone for theft.

That totally makes sense.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urcayuse View Post
What do you do when intruders bust into your yard? Go back to bed and pray? Hopefully they only want your truck. Maybe just leave the door open too cause you’ve got some pretty nice electronics. Surely they have no ill intentions to you or your family.
How can you possibly know? No matter what you do it’ll be wrong in someone’s eyes l guess. Waiting until they’re in the house is too late I figure.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
It is good that we live in place were we can all have a opinion. I don't have to like it or agree with it but it would be beneath not to respect that he can voice his views. I wish he'd stop though because I've already decided I'm gonna donate a days pay to Ed. I'll be in the poor house if he keeps it up. Lol
Old 03-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Banned

I don't understand why you would think I'm against you donating to this guy? He's going to need all the help he can get. All I was pointing out that at the end of the day when he made that choice to fire off a gun it was a poor one that will more than likely result in the destruction of his and his families lives. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
some people want to live by their own rules and bash others for following the law.

I agree unless my famiky was threatened i wouldnt be shooting anyone.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I just got refunded my donation. What is going on here?
Yah I just got a email saying my donation is being refunded.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:55 PM

The gofundme link doesn't seem to be working anymore
Old 03-03-2018, 02:57 PM

Arrow From another recent thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

“Protecting” Yourself with a Firearm

Lots of issues here lately, plenty of opinions, lots of comments and several locked threads.

Let’s look at this matter, how it is viewed in public and the courts, and maybe we can mitigate some of the damage that will occur in the future. Because we all know, it will happen again.

When we post our views on matters pertaining to the use of firearms to defend ourselves, the common elements are:

1. A crime is being perpetrated against the innocent
2. The innocent utilizes a firearm as a means of defence
3. The innocent found themselves in court, charged with offences
4. Many are angry that this occurs

Fair enough? I’m sure the simplistic 4 points above covers every thread that has ever been started/finished/locked on this forum as it pertains to “protecting” yourself with a firearm.

After reading, contributing, debating, deleting my contributions to these threads, I decided to scribe some thoughts that pertain to this topic, starting with “Confrontation”.

CONFRONTATION

Thieves tend to avoid confrontation and conflict. They are motivated to steal your stuff and get away without having any encounters. It’s quick, clean, easy and profitable for them. That’s why they prefer to break into your house when you are gone to work or on holidays. It’s why they prefer to use the cliché “under the cover of darkness” to steal your bicycle, tools, truck, etc. The reason they do this is to avoid confrontation. They are a cowardly lot.

Scenario:

You are home. You see someone rummaging through your shed. A call to the police is a logical first step. This is a crime in progress and calling the police is generally considered a prudent and reasonable thing to do. At this moment, no one is in danger, there is no belief of grievous bodily harm or death to you or your family. It is likely that you are going to lose some of your belongings to this person unless someone intervenes.

You assess the situation. The shed is full of sharp poky things. The bad guy is probably carrying a knife or something. If you choose to stop this guy, you might want to arm yourself.

You choose your handgun.

The second you walk out of the safety of your house with that firearm, you add “confrontation” and “armed” to the equation. And, you have initiated it. Your path has now become inclined, and not in your favour. This started as a theft, now you have changed it into a confrontation with a firearm.

How idiotic. How illogical. You exit your home to initiate the armed engagement of some property thief…..HUH?

Are you wanting to kill someone over your shed tools? Your quad? Your pick up truck? Highly unlikely, but that’s how the court will see it. In doing so, you accepted the full burden of escalating this event, which was initiated by an idiot that you don’t even know.

The courts will ensure you understand this error upon your sentencing…..

Your thinking is seriously flawed. YOU put yourself in danger by going outside. YOU initiated the confrontation, as none existed prior.

Unless of course you value your truck, quad, tools more than you value yourself. Then, by all means, run out there and play it by ear. There is no remedy for stupidity.

IF the above is what you would do, stop reading. This isn’t for you. Do some sit-ups instead.

You say you are just protecting yourself by arming yourself, (and that makes good sense in many circumstances). Underline the word FIREARM for me though. We aren’t talking anything else here.

What you are forgetting, and what becomes problematic for you in eventual court proceedings, is the fact you added both “confrontation” and “armed” to the incident. The thief’s intention, at the time you did this, was to trespass and/maybe steal, based on his conduct. He is in your shed. There is NO indication that residential break and enter, murder, rape is on his agenda.

(Ironically, you will corroborate his story in court, because you will say “he was in my shed”)

How ever this above scenario transpires is irrelevant. Your choice in arming yourself with a firearm, exiting your home to confront a thief will be your downfall.

Let’s continue this scenario…….

Thief decides that your house is next. Your lights are on. You are home with the family. There is every indication that the house is presently occupied. The bad guy wants to come in, and starts kicking your door down. You yell at him to “go away” or words to that effect. Likely, you will yell something. He manages to smash his way in.

Game changes. The bad guy is now adding “confrontation” to the scenario. Think. He has been in your shed. You know the kind of stuff that is in there. Safe to believe he could have armed himself with something. It’s a fair and acceptable assumption made by a reasonable person.

Now YOU are legally in the favourable position. The thief added “confrontation” by kicking your door in, and it is likely and reasonable to believe he is now “armed”. He is no longer a “thief”. He has entered into the “aggressor/assailant” category and a whole different set of rules apply. Your rules of engagement have changed dramatically too. I hope your gun is loaded and in your hand……

Again, the reasonable belief that you or others are in immediate danger of grievous bodily harm or death exists in this scenario. You have a duty to yourself and your family. Decide whether you will perform that duty or not.

How you deal with that and how you articulate that to your lawyer is paramount. How you articulate that to the police is very simple; you don’t. You called for help. You said there was a thief in your shed. You stayed on the line, you upgraded the call to a home invasion or break and enter to residence in progress. They had their chance to help you and they failed (for whatever reason), leaving you alone to protect yourself and others. You have no obligation to them. They have Supreme Court decisions to show they have no obligation to you. Fair is fair.

Upon arrival, after the incident is over, the police will have all sorts of time to spend with you. Writing down everything you say, noting how
agitated/calm/unfeeling/remorseful/critical/shaken you are. Tons more will show up to photograph, measure, seize, sample, swab, offer emotional support services and of course, interview all occupants of your household. Separately.

There is a huge difference between protecting yourself with a firearm and engaging someone with a firearm. Ignorance of this differentiation will lead to more and more regular guys and gals being victimized by criminals then destroyed by the court system.

It's my hope that this thread opens the door to good dialogue and on-topic posts.

IF your view is to engage/shoot all intruders on your land with a firearm, then refrain from posting. It's one less thing the prosecution will have to hang you with, after they search your posts/comments on this and other sites.....

I couldn't have said it better.

Take notes.

Selkirk
Old 03-03-2018, 02:58 PM

Anyone having problems finding the go fund me page?