Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 07:30 PM

Default Need some help with walleye plugs

Hey guys, I need a plug about 4 or 5 inches long, floater, that runs 3 to 5 ft deep. Looking for shallow river eyes. My go to has been the floating Rapala Husky, but it does not come in a floating version any more. The reason it needs to float is so that when I start to bang the bottom, I can pause and let it float up. Any sugestions?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2018, 07:33 PM

Default It’s a killer.

Floating Rapala Xrap in purple and silver.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Floating Rapala Xrap in purple and silver.
x2
Old 09-20-2018, 11:17 PM

Ripplin Redfin. Floating version.

Now for the cream.

Take off both treble hooks and put a 5/0 circle hook on. Face one hook one side and the other the other side so the plug runs balanced.

The plug will not get stuck on bottom because of the rounded circle hooks.

Don't set the hook, the fish will do it for you.

Drewski
Old 09-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Any Rapala floater.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Any Rapala floater.
I find the Rapala original floaters to light to cast with gear that can handle late season walleye.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-21-2018, 09:33 AM

I like the new Rapala Shadow Raps - great twitch bait that rises slightly when you stop the retrieve - almost a neutral buoyant lure.

The have them available in both a shallow and deep version - and of course a myriad of colors.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:18 PM

The best old tried and true Rapalas! J9 and J11 jointed floaters in silver and gold colours. I have no trouble casting them with a baitcast reel loaded with 10lb stren or any spinning reel with 8 lb test.

Vic
Old 09-22-2018, 10:21 AM
Banned

Pretty hard to beat a Rapala floating minnow but I have a couple of Storm floating minnows that I pull behind a bouncer that have worked really well to.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:29 AM

I used to do a lot of pike and walleye fishing. I probably have collected 50 plugs over the years. The last 10 years I have fished almost exclusively for trout with the fly. With the fish loss this year due to the winter we had I have been fishing walleye this fall. I went to pick up a few walleye plugs and am blown away by the prices, it's obscene what a plug goes for now a days. Four plugs and a small package of leaders, 63 bucks...

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2018, 11:48 AM

Talking plugs

Some interesting new plugs on the market. Try a visit to BestLure.ca
They are wood plugs but hand made yellow cedar. Cool paint jobs and I think they come in 2,4 and 6". Made in Canada - Bonus lol, no tariffs!! At least they are not plastic or have the word China on them.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I used to do a lot of pike and walleye fishing. I probably have collected 50 plugs over the years. The last 10 years I have fished almost exclusively for trout with the fly. With the fish loss this year due to the winter we had I have been fishing walleye this fall. I went to pick up a few walleye plugs and am blown away by the prices, it's obscene what a plug goes for now a days. Four plugs and a small package of leaders, 63 bucks...
The prices of anything rapala are ridiculous. Berkeley's flicker minnows and flicker shads are as good if not better and cost half the price.

I like lipless crank baits even in shallow water. Size 4 or 5 ripping rap in crawdad is great.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2018, 09:11 PM

I haven't been out a lot this year due to health but the 3 times I got out to Wabamun ,Walleye and Pike were steady action on lipless rattle plugs .I ordered these from Amazon just for a try out . I haven't fished them yet but the quality seems very good. I am hoping to get out this week if possible.If I do I will give a review on here of my results.
A five pack of lures for 13 bucks seemed like a how could yo go wrong moment to me

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-24-2018, 10:24 PM

What line type/wt, rod and reel are you using? This may help better for recommendations.

Quote:
I find the Rapala original floaters to light to cast with gear that can handle late season walleye.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
What line type/wt, rod and reel are you using? This may help better for recommendations.
Using a G loomis custom made, 6'6", 1/4 to 3/4 oz blank. It's a little to stiff for light lures. I would say 3/8 oz and up is the sweet spot for casting plugs although it loads with 1/4 oz jig head.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-25-2018, 06:45 AM

Reel & line?

Quote:
Using a G loomis custom made, 6'6", 1/4 to 3/4 oz blank. It's a little to stiff for light lures. I would say 3/8 oz and up is the sweet spot for casting plugs although it loads with 1/4 oz jig head.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Reel & line?
Med sized Abu Garcia spinning reel with 15lb braid super line of some sort.

Thomas Sowell