Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Banned

i have a mule buck tag, but ill be trying real hard to make sure robin gets first crack at a good one. last year eric passed a 175 on the first day and it turns out he was the best we saw the week he was there. i dont think ill be able to stop her from pulling the trigger on one that size. i cant imagine i wont get my archery stinkgoat tag as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 AM

I got a big goose egg, but it was my first year so no biggie. Step in the right direction tho, up
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
There was lots of warning before the draws came out if you were paying attention to the posts about population numbers in the south.... But once again everybody thinks there is no problem with Deer and Pronghorn numbers in the south.
We only had about 20+ feet of snow (literally) in the mountains here and a fair amount in the lower elevations and the deer here are still high in numbers.. Seen quite a few sets of twins in the late spring...
Old 07-19-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
We only had about 20+ feet of snow (literally) in the mountains here and a fair amount in the lower elevations and the deer here are still high in numbers.. Seen quite a few sets of twins in the late spring...
Now you talking mountains, and before you were talking SE corner. The mountain Deer don't have near the number of coyotes to chase them down in the mountains like the prairies. You should maybe take a drive to the SE corner of the province and see what is there, and it all depends on what you call high numbers of deer. Sure there are still deer around but not like there used to be. The deer in the mountains will move like the sheep to open wind swept slopes as well!!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Now you talking mountains, and before you were talking SE corner. The mountain Deer don't have near the number of coyotes to chase them down in the mountains like the prairies. You should maybe take a drive to the SE corner of the province and see what is there, and it all depends on what you call high numbers of deer. Sure there are still deer around but not like there used to be. The deer in the mountains will move like the sheep to open wind swept slopes as well!!!!
I was talking about the mountains as that is where I live and I was making a comparison to ongoing statements of a harsh winter.. The entire province had a long winter with above average snowfalls in most areas. There are coyotes here that chase deer.. Also cougars and wolves to name a couple of others... There were several large groups of deer that were winterring where most deer do - in stubble fields and near hay stacks.. I'm sure that there are a few of those in SE Alberta...

I used to live in Medicine Hat, and have been hunting in Manyberries for better than the past ten years, with friends hunting there most of their lives. I get back to the Hat area several times a year, and venture past the Southern Ranchaman's Inn quite a bit.. One friend of mine that I hunt with in the area has his own button on the till in the bar...

I get that you are saying it was winter killed... Hope that they can come back better than ever for future seasons...
Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
I was talking about the mountains as that is where I live and I was making a comparison to ongoing statements of a harsh winter.. The entire province had a long winter with above average snowfalls in most areas. There are coyotes here that chase deer.. Also cougars and wolves to name a couple of others... There were several large groups of deer that were winterring where most deer do - in stubble fields and near hay stacks.. I'm sure that there are a few of those in SE Alberta...

I used to live in Medicine Hat, and have been hunting in Manyberries for better than the past ten years, with friends hunting there most of their lives. I get back to the Hat area several times a year, and venture past the Southern Ranchaman's Inn quite a bit.. One friend of mine that I hunt with in the area has his own button on the till in the bar...

I get that you are saying it was winter killed... Hope that they can come back better than ever for future seasons...
I pretty much grew up down there, if you look a mile to the east of town you will see a farm there. That is where I spent most of time!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:19 AM

I got drawn for antlerless elk in 300. Hope it isn't too hard to find permission down there. Waiting on goat and speed goat draws.

Joe
Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Someone is going to be splainin to me why my wife did not draw a Bull Moose tag on priority 12 tomorrow.
I read this whole thread waiting to find the answer to this one. What's the news?
Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 PM

Drew cow elk for the new late season. Great thing is it coincides with my Christmas break!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc View Post
My dad got his bull moose on a P2 in 510.... never thought they would give out that many tags again. There are moose there but with the way they're giving out tags i'm not sure that will continue. I was really hoping to see fewer draws given out. Last year you could really see the increase in the number of hunters out in 510.
I got drawn for calf moose in 510 and i was a priority zero!

Jeremy
Old 07-22-2011, 05:23 PM

Default draws

I just checked the Alberta Realm site and see that I was successfull for 6 point elk in 422, too bad that they are not as plentifull in that area as they once were. Pressure from wolves and cougar seem to have taken its toll from what I have been hearing. David.