Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Just about all trades in the oil sands. It’s also less than 6 months of work in the end; with a wage that is double to triple what is stated.
I say if your feeling like a change and appeals to you go for it. Never to old to learn new tricks. 35 is young, you have another 30 plus years before you retire so longer than you’ve worked up till now.

On another note : sorry just grinds my gears

Double the wage sure ??? You realize that comes with double the hrs. 7 days at 12 hr days is 84 right. That’s full time hrs. And no recess !!!

I am a HD mechanic that has worked in service truck for 22 years. I have worked drilling rigs, mines, gravel you name it.

Drives me crazy to here people think trades man make way too much money.

You work 7 days straight of nights in -30 degree weather outside away from your family in a situation that if you make a mistake it may injure you permanently all while your tired cause your sleeping in a 12x10 room and the guy In the room next to you was banging around all day and tell me you’d do it for minimum wage.

I have true respect and admiration for our teachers. They have a tough job no doubt but I feel they are properly compensated for what is expected of them and the hrs they work in a given year. Hell as a plumber you could work all summer and make another 20k.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
I say if your feeling like a change and appeals to you go for it. Never to old to learn new tricks. 35 is young, you have another 30 plus years before you retire so longer than you’ve worked up till now.

Double the wage sure ??? You realize that comes with double the hrs. 7 days at 12 hr days is 84 right. That’s full time hrs. And no recess !!!

I am a HD mechanic that has worked in service truck for 22 years. I have worked drilling rigs, mines, gravel you name it.

You work 7 days straight of nights in -30 degree weather outside away from your family in a situation that if you make a mistake it may injure you permanently all while your tired cause your sleeping in a 12x10 room and the guy In the room next to you was banging around all day and tell me you’d do it for minimum wage.

I have true respect and admiration for our teachers. They have a tough job no doubt but I feel they are properly compensated for what is expected of them and the hrs they work in a given year. Hell as a plumber you could work all summer and make another 20k.
Did you see I quoted another post? He asked what trade makes 90k, has good benefits, and only works 7 months.

I replied with the fact that basically all trades in the oil sands work less than 6 months, have good benefits, and earn 2-3 times the 90k stated. I never said it wasn’t earned.

Just for the record, I’m a HD field mechanic and been in the trade since 96 and currently spending the night in a hotel. Away from my family. I do have to say you must have it a lot easier than me though. You only work till -30. I have started buggies at -53C in Conklin on New Year’s Eve that hadn’t run since before Xmas.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
My kids have all asked me if I like plumbing.
I always tell them if I loved it, they wouldn't pay me to do it.

I tell my kids that it's crazy to expect to get paid well to do what you love. Do what your're good at, so you can make enough money to do what you love.
I hope I'm not accidentally pushing them into prostitution...
I disagree. I worked for 35 years and loved the work I did, and as it turned out it also paid very well. I won't go into all the reasons that I loved the work I did but in summary I found it mentally challenging, entertaining, great variety, gave me a chance to invent things that have never been done before, participate in ground breaking changes and gave me the opportunity to meet and work with a lot of brilliant and talented people all over the world. The work also positively impacted the lives of a very large number of people around the world.

it is possible to find work you love to do. The trick is in knowing what really gives you satisfaction and pursuing that. When I was young I tried out many different types of jobs, looking for the one that fit. You have to have the skill, acumen and knowledge to do the work, but it is very possible if you do. One of the fringe benefits is I got to hunt and fish all over the world, and in many places most people would never go. Not all jobs that you love to do pay great, but then you have to decide if what you do for over 1/2 of your time on the earth is worth giving up some money for.

To the OP, make the change if it is something you are truly interested in doing. Since you already have a family, it does need to pay enough to put bread on the table, but I can't fathom working 40 years at something you hate.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post

I don't think anyone in this thread said any tradesperson makes more than they are worth. I certainly don't think that. I also know for a fact that none of the teachers said they deserve more for what they do. The wages are what they are, so make your choice with your eyes wide open.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I replied with the fact that basically all trades in the oil sands work less than 6 months, have good benefits, and earn 2-3 times the 90k stated. I never said it wasn’t earned.
Having worked in the oilsands myself for over 35 years, the contractors that travel from plant to plant to do shutdowns may work less than 6 months, but there are many tradesmen working full time for the companies that run the plants. While these people can get up to 8 weeks paid vacation, they do work all year.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:38 AM
Gone Hunting

I am shocked at the numbers being tossed about and said to be inadequate.

The only ticket of any value that I ever had was a Class 1 drivers license.
But I wore a few different hats over the years.

I was a unlicensed heavy duty mechanic for seven years. Was a driller for two years, until PET put us all out of work with the NEP.
I did one summer as a certified regen surveyor, did a lot of heavy equipment operating, worked as a carpenters helper for a time, did farming, guiding, trapping and even a bit of time as a store clerk and then night manager of that same store. Now I run a sole proprietor business with one employee, me.

The highest wage I earned in all that was as a driller. But that was seasonal so I could actually make more pumping gas in town all year.

My highest yearly wage was the year before I retired. I made 66K that year. Over half of that from overtime.

What would my advice be. Try it, you can always switch later on.
Believe me when I say 40 is young. I'd give my right arm to be 40 again.

A dear friend of mine switched careers a couple of years ago, just shy of his 80th birthday. He couldn't be happier.

One other tiny bit of advice, think about what you will do after you reach retirement age. Sitting around with nothing to do sucks big time.

I chose poolry. I am not competent to drive a truck now. My reflexes are way down, my eyesight is not great and my focus is not near sharp enough. Driving a pickup has become a challenge. No way I could drive a rig.
I can still switch gears with the best of them, I probably know more about securing a load then half the drivers out there today. I can still fix a truck as good as i ever could, but I wouldn't be safe herding 80.000 pounds down the highway.

Fortunately I was able to change careers after retirement, and I'm having a ball now.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-08-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Having worked in the oilsands myself for over 35 years, the contractors that travel from plant to plant to do shutdowns may work less than 6 months, but there are many tradesmen working full time for the companies that run the plants. While these people can get up to 8 weeks paid vacation, they do work all year.
Most positions in the oil sands are on a shift. 14 on, 14 off. Or 10 and 10. Or 7 and 7. So you literally work half a year right there without factoring in holidays. I didn’t mean they work January to June. I meant that when I was 14 and 14 with 4 weeks of holidays I worked 22 of the 52 weeks in the year. Thus 5.5 months. So there was twice a year where I didn’t work for 6 weeks at a time.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Most positions in the oil sands are on a shift. 14 on, 14 off. Or 10 and 10. Or 7 and 7. So you literally work half a year right there without factoring in holidays. I didn’t mean they work January to June. I meant that when I was 14 and 14 with 4 weeks of holidays I worked 22 of the 52 weeks in the year. Thus 5.5 months. So there was twice a year where I didn’t work for 6 weeks at a time.
Exactly....no one works a full year less there holidays.....did that for eight years and it was a huge wow factor as in good money and long stretches of time off too

To the OP....it's your dance....lead away!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-08-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Exactly....no one works a full year less there holidays.....did that for eight years and it was a huge wow factor as in good money and long stretches of time off too

To the OP....it's your dance....lead away!
Our standard shift in many departments, was a compressed work week, 10 hour days, Monday through Thursday, although other departments worked 6 on 6 off on 12 hour shifts. Before that, we worked a 5x8 schedule.

I know people that changed careers in their 50s, I changed in my 30s, and then in my late 40s. But I changed careers within the same company, it would be much harder to pay to go to school again with no income, after making good money for years.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-08-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:44 AM

Ya... I tried to stay away.... cause of Sneezy there... but some thiings to consider if you're getting into it:

- almost all teaching degrees are actually double degrees now.

- But if you got your J man ticket.... you're golden. Huge demand for construction trades.

- University is expensive... hope you can handle the debt load.
- You'll be starting at around 53-59K... and it takes a decade to top out.

There's a saying in teaching.."we Eat Our Young".... there's an unsaid expectation that you WILL :

-coach
- do yearbook
- run a club
- do trips
- do committees

at least three of these things... even if they are not something you are inclined to do. This sometimes is what helps drive new teachers out of the profession. I've done at least 2 extra curr things every year for 24 years now... and those things chew up your time... its a voluntold type thing.

I still usually take framing of general construction jobs in the summer to provide... but i got a big family (4 kids.. 2 elderly dependents.)

There's something to be said for the fact that construction tools don't talk back to you when you're trying to get work done.

re: How much trades can make

I dunno... but the last set of under the table rates I get for coming on to a jobsite and swinging a hammer or running a Bobcat.... were $35/h cash at end of day... or $200/day. pre agreed handshake agreement.

And that's with a few different builders.

I thought that was fairly good coin.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-08-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Go for it. I believe there are options for tradesmen making the leap for the workforce to university. I'm pretty sure you are given credit for one year of university if you can show relevant experience with your ticket, but I may be wrong. Someone I know had a trade and is just about finished his university to become a teacher. He is going to be a shop teacher from what I hear are more in demand than most teachers.
I know a few chefs that made the leap from J-Man to teaching.They got a job at the CBE in Calgary as cooking instructors supporting a Culinary program with students in the school cafeteria. They can do practical work with the students but are not allowed to cover theory in the classroom. That is the teachers job.

They worked a year and then applied to Bridge.Their education expenses are covered as well as an allowance for accomodation and living expenses.
They attended the U of A in Edmonton for a year and then returned to work in Calgary as a teacher under a Letter of Authority specific to that trade.

They go on for years under that the limbo that is the Letter of Authority-Teaching without a actual Degree in Education.They can NOT teach in any area other than Culinary and cannot sub in for other teachers in other disciplines in the school.

Once they are getting paid as a teacher there is little to no incentive to complete their degree.

Last edited by omega50; 04-08-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:19 AM

My sisters-in-law decided to become a teacher. She took the courses online and earned her degree in the evenings and weekends. She was some dedicated to it. More discipline than I.

Anyhow she struggled to find employment and ended up starting by taking fill in roles as a substitute. She finally found full time employment but it was not the best situation it was on a reserve west of Edmonton. She took the job and it was a huge challenge. Was a true eye opener to her and the rest of our family as to what the challenges for First Nations truly were.

She had a job as a teacher but also found herself being a counsellor. A shoulder to cry on. Having to feed children that come with no lunch. She has had to consult with police on sexual assault cases. Assault cases. Been told to leave work due to being white and not safe for her while elections where happening. Been to the hospital to visit students cause no one else did. And endless other challenging scenarios.

This is not the case for all students some of them are great bring young minds with families that care and full of life, but sad reality is their are some that may never lead meaningful lives due to the hand they were dealt and the negative influences they experience as a child.

She was close to quitting but found strength in the fact she was making a difference in lives that matter. She has been there approx 7 years now and is the principal of the school and finds it quite rewarding being a small part of the success story for many of these kids.

If you have the right attitude and up are to the challenge I feel teaching could be quite rewarding. Most certainly not easy.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:31 AM

I have been an HVAC mechanic for 30 plus years. Going to work has become such a drudgery it’s painful. Maybe I need to work at a different place but probably not worth loosing seniority over for the same **** different pole. I never started my own business because of the same issues you are dealing with now. Not sure what to do. Can’t even look forward to fishing this spring like I normally do because of this **** happening.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:38 AM

Do it.

You've had some time to reflect on what's important to you and what will give you satisfaction. Given how much time you will be spending working, going back to school for a few years is a small price to pay. Contrary to what many have posted, you can get paid to do something you enjoy - you might just have to work to get there.

Your time in University won't be a waste either. It's an investment in yourself. You'll meet new people, experience different perspectives, challenge yourself, and grow. On top of that you'll get the privilege of pursuing the career of your dreams.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I know a few chefs that made the leap from J-Man to teaching.They got a job at the CBE in Calgary as cooking instructors supporting a Culinary program with students in the school cafeteria. They can do practical work with the students but are not allowed to cover theory in the classroom. That is the teachers job.

They worked a year and then applied to Bridge.Their education expenses are covered as well as an allowance for accomodation and living expenses.
They attended the U of A in Edmonton for a year and then returned to work in Calgary as a teacher under a Letter of Authority specific to that trade.

They go on for years under that the limbo that is the Letter of Authority-Teaching without a actual Degree in Education.They can NOT teach in any area other than Culinary and cannot sub in for other teachers in other disciplines in the school.

Once they are getting paid as a teacher there is little to no incentive to complete their degree.
For the last 4 years, I was the teacher in a Culinary Arts program. My kids and I, along with a staff of two, ran the two school cafeterias (students and teachers). Two years ago we replaced a line cook with a journeyman chef who had cut his chops with the Fairmont Hotel chain, and then opened his own Cora's which he sold 8 years later at a healthy profit. The guys was so damn good that when he heard about the Bridging Program, and asked if I would support him in it, I could not say no. He was just too good with kids. Even though it meant me giving up the job I had worked my whole career, and beat out other teachers who had their Red Seal, I went to my principal and told him we should do it. Next fall he will take over our kitchen with his letter of authority to teach.

The hitch with this program is that there has to be an identified need. We were able to do this because I got our principal on board that it was the right thing to do, and that I was okay with being re-assigned to make way for this exceptional individual. I just put myself in his shoes, and thought that I had the opportunity to do something potentially life changing for this guy.

The point I am making is that this program does exist, and if you can find a school and school board to sponsor you, then you are in like flint.

Those opportunities are like a needle in a haystack though. The person in HR at our board could not remember the last time they had actually sponsored someone.

I wish the OP nothing but luck.

PS: The very best thing you can do is when school re-starts, find a teacher who will let you sit in on a week of his/her classes. You own your own show, so it would be time well spent before you jump in with both feet. This will give you a clear picture of what things are about, and you will hear the good, bad, and ugly. Whatever field you go into, do it with yes wide open man.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I have been an HVAC mechanic for 30 plus years. Going to work has become such a drudgery it’s painful. Maybe I need to work at a different place but probably not worth loosing seniority over for the same **** different pole. I never started my own business because of the same issues you are dealing with now. Not sure what to do. Can’t even look forward to fishing this spring like I normally do because of this **** happening.
When I was looking for the right job I made a list of the things I like to do. Hunt, fish, photography, cook, work on cars, drive long distances, travel, etc. I then got jobs in fields related to those interests. Often they were side jobs like pro tournament fishing, guiding, and the like, other times they were my main income like long haul trucking, or line cook, so I could find out what it was like to do it for a living.

If u don't want to make the big jump without being sure maybe get a side job in the field that interests u. Even entry level positions give u a good inside view of the business.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:39 AM

Awesome reply’s guys. I really appreciate the advice that’s been given both ways. My wife and I are still thinking that going back to school is a good move for us right now, time will tell . It’s going to be a challenge with a young family but my parents have offered some incredible help and we think we can swing it. I’ve talked to my top 2 contractors and they both said they’d be more then happy to continue using me as I go through school and would be willing to work with my new adjusted schedule. That will help supplement the income greatly.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:02 PM

I wish you nothing but success!
Old 04-08-2020, 12:29 PM

Sounds like your all set. Wishing you Good luck with your new journey !!! Have fun.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:07 PM

Great move. I definitely wasn't as far out as you, but I went back to university 7 years after graduating high school. It was a massive change for me and a grind at times, but I finish my degree in two weeks and have an amazing job lined up for August. Zero regrets.

I also know a gentleman who decided he wanted to become a doctor when he was 38(or 40). He is now a very successful doctor. Never too late.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:09 PM

Well just an update I wrote my last final today and my first year is done! Can’t believe how fast it went. It’s been a huge struggle, I’m still working dang near full time and then a full class load on top of that with a wife and kids but we made it work. I’ve been really enjoying it and look forward to completing my degree. Anyone whose looking to make a change there’s no time like the present. I’m so glad I did it, a year would’ve gone by regardless.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:06 PM

Talk to someone who's recently graduated from teacher's college, and ask them how they're doing in finding steady work.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Talk to someone who's recently graduated from teacher's college, and ask them how they're doing in finding steady work.
There is always that guy. Someone has to rain, or pizz, on the parade. Take a long walk off a short plank.

Congratulations to the op on your progress and the dedication to do this with a full time job and a family. Everything worth doing takes effort, lots of it, and perseverance. Keep it up and your dreams will come true.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
Well just an update I wrote my last final today and my first year is done! Can’t believe how fast it went. It’s been a huge struggle, I’m still working dang near full time and then a full class load on top of that with a wife and kids but we made it work. I’ve been really enjoying it and look forward to completing my degree. Anyone whose looking to make a change there’s no time like the present. I’m so glad I did it, a year would’ve gone by regardless.
Well done
Old 04-23-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
That's absolutely fantastic, congratulations. If you decide to teach in the public/private school system, having more teachers like you (and others on this forum), that have had another vocation prior to teaching is a welcome addition. It brings a lot of experience and perspective that you absolutely cannot teach in university, being an entrepreneur ups the ante even more.

I'm sure that you've already thought about it, but being a j-man and having a teaching degree can open up a lot of doors into technical schools as well.

Good luck in the coming years, and enjoy the well deserved break away from classes.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Old 04-23-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Same percentage now. Majority are equal time off or close too. It's just syncrude and some parts of suncor that didn't change.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I was 36 with a pregnant wife, 2 yr old, and a mortgage when I decided to go back to university and become a teacher. That was almost two decades ago. I like my job most days, love the holidays, but do not like the wages. I will let you google what teachers' raises have been over the last 8 years. You are capped on your earnings no matter how hard you work.

Personally, I would love to have a do-over. I would have headed my arse straight to NAIT and gotten a trade.

Education is heading into really bad times.
Lol. It’s probably already been said. But the grass is always greener. So funny a teacher wishing he was a tradesman. I’ve been a framer for 22 years and just did a bit of a change to make a living. The trades are tough, as I’m sure teaching is. But running a business in the trades is probably a lot like teaching. You always have got work children and home children. The work children take all the fun out of life. At the end of the day, I’m pretty sure after 20 years of doing anything for a living, change is welcome. I know From my perspective a teachers hours are the cats ass, but i couldn’t do your job, and I hope you were a good teacher and role model for your students.

Sorry just read through the thread and realized it’s a year old. Congrats to the op.

Last edited by ghfalls; 04-23-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:45 PM

Do it. You will never know if you don't.
I'm not per se a teacher, but have instructed kids at one time or another.
So with that said, make it fun and they will learn. And challenge them.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018