Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 08:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

really just would like to throw the tin boat in a backwoods lake on Vancouver island with the ol'man and catch cutties, dollies etc...the way we did in the early 70's....I would trade any fishing trip for this as it would be priceless.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Lake sturgeon here in Alberta is the last freshwater fish I need to catch before I can say I have caught all the fresh water species in BC/Alberta. I plan to target them in the NSR this year to scratch that one of the list

Any advice on good bait options? I assume the are similar to the white sturgeon so cut bait and worm balls will work
my go to is a half worm and a small piece of cutbait. I dont see the need for a ball of worms Ive caught 5 sturgeon back to back on a one inch piece before. but thats me and I know where they live

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-08-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
my go to is a half worm and a small piece of cutbait. I dont see the need for a ball of worms Ive caught 5 sturgeon back to back on a one inch piece before. but thats me and I know where they live
I bet knowing your spots makes a big difference. I found white sturgeon were the same way. Knowing what holes vs time of year and where in the hole made a big difference. Bait for white sturgeon golf ball size and up made a difference but still hooked into them at times on tiny baits targeting other fish.

Hope my experience with their big cousins helps but betting I have some learning ahead of me. But information from experienced guys like yourself is always better then guessing my tactics may work
Old 04-08-2020, 12:51 PM

My realistic bucket list....
1-muskie ....probably LOTW
2-a 40" laker in northern Manitoba
3- 50" pike
4-10' fraser river sturgeon
5-tyee salmon
a south texas USA trip for
6-aligator gar
7-big cats
8-tarpon
My lottery trips
Europe/Scandinavia for pike and zander
Arctic char/giant Lakers
Old 04-10-2020, 09:21 AM

Mine remains elusive if not for some bad luck! Top of my bucket list by far is still to catch a 6# plus Smallmouth Bass. My PB is 5#12oz so far. Had an easy 6#+ to the side of the boat about 5 summers ago and my father-in-law badly botched the net job! I cried, he laughed. Biggest SM I’ve ever laid eyes on, lucky for her she only resides in my bad dreams now and not on the wall above my TV. But hey that’s fishin! Second on the list is a 2# plus Jumbo Perch. My PB is 2 oz shy of that mark and she was 15-5/8” long and if I never break it I will still be completely satisfied with that fish, she’s a beaut, but I’m trying real hard to top her as well. I caught a Hali that was 74” long, no desire to ever catch something that big and heavy again but glad to say I have been there and done that and it’s off the list along with my bucket list Walleye, King Salmon & Coho. If I could add one more species right now it may be to target some Black Cod/Sablefish because they are freakin delicious and I would like a chance to fish for some of those one day! Good luck on your quest everybody and hope you all get to cross a couple off this year as challenging as that is now looking! Stay safe, stay sanitized and may your father-in—laws never knock your bucket list fish off!
Old 04-10-2020, 09:25 AM

It's impossible for me to pick 10. When I retire I intend to travel all over and stroke off a 100.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:25 AM

I already got one ticked off the list; Bristolbay Chinook on the Spey rod.
Next are:
1) inconnu
2) taimen from khabarovsk krai

For more regional:
3) beat my current bull trout PB with a 36”+
4) 50” pike on the fly
5) Cisco on the 3wt
Old 04-10-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
It's impossible for me to pick 10. When I retire I intend to travel all over and stroke off a 100.
Well you have to start somewhere lol
Old 04-10-2020, 10:14 AM

Blue Marlin
Tarpon

That's probably it for specific species for me. I do have a number of bucket list trips I'd like to do though. The actual species caught isn't as important.

Charter a fishing boat out of Prince Rupert
Spend a week floating the rivers around Fernie.
Patagonia trip
New Zealand trip
Maybe Mongolia
Old 04-10-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I already got one ticked off the list; Bristolbay Chinook on the Spey rod.
Next are:
1) inconnu
2) taimen from khabarovsk krai
I messaged the camp in Kotzebue back in March. Hope to hear something back when they open up. Only thing I would change is put a fly rod in my hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNBMuvGFsMA
Old 04-10-2020, 11:27 AM

1. Tarpon
2. Tarpon
3. Tarpon
4. Shallow water barracuda
5. Permit
6. Bonefish if i have enough patience
7. Peacock bass
8. Smallmouth bass
9. Musky
10. Striped bass
11. Elastic old school spear fishing
12. Shallow water redfish
13. Octopus fiahing in the shallows
14. Clam and misc scavenging on the shore
15. Arctic grayling
16. Tuna

So many others, oh man.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I messaged the camp in Kotzebue back in March. Hope to hear something back when they open up. Only thing I would change is put a fly rod in my hand

Oh yeah I know of that place, that’s close-ish to where I went Chinook fishing. The companies based out of that area I believe are in Bethel. If you’re interested the company that supplied our rafts and plane rides (unguided) was “Papa Bear Adventures” and I’m 90% sure they take people to the Kobuk River.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:51 PM

Bucket list
#1= 2 weeks(or more ) , DIY , Baha fishing , camper and boat , relax enjoy life

#2 = 2 weeks (or more) south florida / Keys DIY fishing for everything possible

#3 = sturgeon

#4 = Canada west coast tuna

#5 = Panama

#6 = Rooster on the fly

#7 = Tyee on the cast fly

#8 = 2 weeks , Yukon / NWT camp / fish trip

#9 = Steelhead

#10 = 16" perch
Old 04-10-2020, 07:21 PM

1. Taimen
2. Thresher shark
3. Golden dorado
3. Saratoga
4. Bluefin trevally
5. Oarfish
6. Barramundi
7. Bonefish
8. Payara
9. Sturgeon
10. Permit
Old 04-11-2020, 08:50 AM

hmm interesting topic. i decided to two a top 10 for salt water and fresh water list

salt water

1. albacore tuna
2. bonito tuna
3. yellow fin tuna
4. black fin tuna
5. blue fin tuna
6. mahi mahi
7. mackerel
8. halibut
9. dogfish
10. red snapper

fresh water

1. artic char
2. artic grayling
3. pike minnow
4. sunfish
5. crappie
6. bluegill
7. small mouth bass
8. large mouth bass
9. kokanee salmon
10. rocky mountian whitefish

some of you may look at my choices and say why but its species that may not be very desirable for most but i have never caught them before like the pike minnow, mackerel and dogfish. its mainly for curiosity for even non game species.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
hmm interesting topic. i decided to two a top 10 for salt water and fresh water list

salt water

1. albacore tuna
2. bonito tuna
3. yellow fin tuna
4. black fin tuna
5. blue fin tuna
6. mahi mahi
7. mackerel
8. halibut
9. dogfish
10. red snapper

fresh water

1. artic char
2. artic grayling
3. pike minnow
4. sunfish
5. crappie
6. bluegill
7. small mouth bass
8. large mouth bass
9. kokanee salmon

some of you may look at my choices and say why but its species that may not be very desirable for most but i have never caught them before like the pike minnow, mackerel and dogfish. its mainly for curiosity for even non game species.
I was definitely surprised to see dog fish and pike minnow lol. If you ever want to catch trophy pike minnow I can point you in the right direction

In the end it’s your list so go for what you find interesting
Old 04-11-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post

salt water

1. albacore tuna
2. bonito tuna
3. yellow fin tuna
4. black fin tuna
5. blue fin tuna
6. mahi mahi
7. mackerel
8. halibut
9. dogfish
10. red snapper

fresh water

1. artic char
2. artic grayling
3. pike minnow
4. sunfish
5. crappie
6. bluegill
7. small mouth bass
8. large mouth bass
9. kokanee salmon

Top 5 salt is all tuna, awesome! I have a great article from last year on catching Albacore by fly from shore off the USA East / South East shoreline. Could you imagine...
Apparently the come into shore chasing bait. They say the big difference is that you are catching them in shallow water and the only have one way to run - horizontal! That fight would be unbelievable.

A person could do it yourself and pretty cheap. Just set the expectations on the first trip to learn and maybe the 2nd trip...
Old 04-11-2020, 11:03 AM

the reason i chose and fish for alot of the non game species is the game species receives such huge angling pressure that they tend to be far and between. i have noticed fishing for non game species, the great thing is they are not targeted as much as the game species so they are very very plentiful and thats what i like is action through out the whole day. catching fish for food on the table is nice but majority of the time its just for fun. pike minnows and dogfish are not a popular species and are incredibly plentiful is what i like tons of them around. i have saw some youtube videos on catching tuna off vancouver island so that is my hopefully next agenda trip. love tuna hopefully get the proper flyrod and get some on the fly too.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:18 PM

I’m still looking for a

Swordfish
Dogtooth tuna

And one of those elusive grander marlin
Old 04-11-2020, 03:01 PM

At this point, I'd just be happy to better remember my tarpon trip to Boca Grande in 1991. I caught two, but apart from a few pics, the memories are foggy. Damn booze. Oh the days of youth.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’m still looking for a

Swordfish
Dogtooth tuna

And one of those elusive grander marlin
Didn't expect to see that one and was going to post it. Could you imagine an 80 lb dog on the line...
Old 04-11-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Didn't expect to see that one and was going to post it. Could you imagine an 80 lb dog on the line...
No but I would love to experience it, preferably closer to 100kg then 80lbs. They’re right out front of my house this time of year but will be leaving in the next two months depending on currents and water temp. I really don’t bottom bash so I can’t pretend I’ve been trying to catch one but I am hopeful one gets on my line one day.
Most of my fishing is surface trolling and or throwing slugs at tuna in bust ups but every now and then I fly the kite with three livies on it and drift a live yakka or slimy mackerel down near the bottom. Sometimes I troll the downriggers around the reefs too so one day I’ll get one.

Swordfish are on the agenda this winter. Once the marlin leave I’ll head out to the shelf and start some deep dropping for them. The shelf is only another 10-15km from where I catch marlin so it’s just a matter of making the run and putting in some time.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 04-11-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:16 PM

My bucket list is seeing my son land a 40+ inch pike , a 40” laker ( his only lakers have been cold lake , his PB is 36” there) definitely an athapap trip now he’s old enough , walleye over 30” and a sturgeon over 70” ( his PB is 61”) when life straightens out and we have time and money I want to spend it with my kids , fishing.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:29 PM

20 pound striper
Old 04-13-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:

Theres a lot of coneys in GSL in the tribs more and more all the time. Lots of them in the Slave River every spring.

not my video but just an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT6rllqUREY

Last edited by HL_transplant; 04-13-2020 at 12:18 AM. Reason: added link
Old 04-13-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
Theres a lot of coneys in GSL in the tribs more and more all the time. Lots of them in the Slave River every spring.

Inconnu is one that I'd love to scratch of the list. I've been to the territories a few times but never managed to hook up with one. Not sure if we were in a great place to snag one though. Fished mostly the Mackenzie near Fort Providence and a smaller river for grayling.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:

That is nice spot for sure. Looks like jet boat needed. Nice variety of sizes too. Thanks for the post.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Inconnu is one that I'd love to scratch of the list. I've been to the territories a few times but never managed to hook up with one. Not sure if we were in a great place to snag one though. Fished mostly the Mackenzie near Fort Providence and a smaller river for grayling.
The slave river apparently is the place to get them in the spring, this coming from the fisheries bio I talked to. Early run like the end of april. They by all most accounts are increasing in numbers according to a friend of mine in YK, the incidental catches are increasing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-13.jpg (26.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-14-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
The slave river apparently is the place to get them in the spring, this coming from the fisheries bio I talked to. Early run like the end of april. They by all most accounts are increasing in numbers according to a friend of mine in YK, the incidental catches are increasing.
Thanks. That is an awesome specimen you attached!
Old 04-14-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Awesome thanks, just out of curiousity are you talking the mouth of great slave lake or is there a chance a guy could get into them closer to fort smith? I was doing a bit of snooping looks like there are quite the rapids around that area.