Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 08:05 AM
Banned

Hunting sounds very dangerous. Hmmm.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:35 AM

Default Remember

I do remember that episode of the pro guide being shot when a Cape buffalo charged them,I’ve tried you tube and the net to re watch it, nothing of it that I can find.imsure lots of things happen that get edited out have a good day all and stay healthy
Old 04-08-2020, 08:49 AM

The only show I watched was Jim Shockey.
He shoots a really good show, I don't like him as a person as he is a arrogant *****. But his show is really well done.
The only show I now watch is Meat Eater, best hunting show of all time in my opinion.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:17 AM

Default The rifleman tv show

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I loved Wild TV when it first came out thought it was the greatest thing now I can't stand any of these hunting shows, I think it's wrecking this sport and definitely changing people's ethics especially with long range shooting out-of-the-box thousand-yard guns blah blah blah.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Agreed!
Old 04-08-2020, 12:17 PM

Other than Meat Eater the best hunting shows now are all on YouTube.

I really enjoy and highly recommend the following if you looking for something better than on TV.

Born & Raised Outdoors
ELK101
Top Priority Hunting
Pure Elevation Productions
HUSHIN
Brad Fry
Old 04-08-2020, 01:17 PM

Jason matzinger has some of the best YouTube videos out there.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:19 PM

I thought “The Rifleman” was a great show. Chuck Connors was one heck of an actor.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
I thought “The Rifleman” was a great show. Chuck Connors was one heck of an actor.
Still watch it when it pops up Saturday mornings was my favourite Western growing up

Old 04-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Banned

I could care less about rinella
I think he’s just dumbs things down so that people know why he’s doing what he does. To me they aren’t very entertaining
I do like shockeys shows, even though “word on the street” is he’s pretty arrogant
I like the adventure side of some of these hunts and shows
Watching any deer hunting show is boring
Can only see so many tree stand or pop up blind hunts before I lose interest
I like “the experience” on YouTube
Favourite hunting episode ever is the eastmans journal hunt for Marco Polo in Tajikistan. Must have watched that episode 100 times. That hunt I must do before I die
Old 04-08-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I think he’s just dumbs things down so that people know why he’s doing what he does. To me they aren’t very entertaining
to each his own, but his show is on Netflix for a reason. Not buried on an subscription only outdoor network.

I really enjoy his show and its a "hunting" show that captures all elements of the sport. The failures, setbacks and the actual harvest and preparation of the meat. Most shows on wild or sportsmen end at the grip and grin. Glorify the kill shot, milk sponsors, NEXT! gross.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:38 PM
Banned

I enjoyed watching rinella when those Bolivians shot that monkey out of the tree. So your a meat eater eh?

Probably tasted better than mule buck.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:04 PM

Well, heard back from Fish and Wildlife Tuesday after filing a RAP report online Monday about shooting across a road, then from and along a road plus having two Americans with one finishing off the others bear. Also, was there actually a licensed outfitter on the hunt. It will be interesting to see if the investigation results in anything but at least it will get checked out.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Well, heard back from Fish and Wildlife Tuesday after filing a RAP report online Monday about shooting across a road, then from and along a road plus having two Americans with one finishing off the others bear. Also, was there actually a licensed outfitter on the hunt. It will be interesting to see if the investigation results in anything but at least it will get checked out.
IMO, if you put your hunts on tv you should 100% expect public scrutiny.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
to each his own, but his show is on Netflix for a reason. Not buried on an subscription only outdoor network.

I really enjoy his show and its a "hunting" show that captures all elements of the sport. The failures, setbacks and the actual harvest and preparation of the meat. Most shows on wild or sportsmen end at the grip and grin. Glorify the kill shot, milk sponsors, NEXT! gross.
I don’t think there is any particular reason his show is on Netflix. It’s on the sportsman channel also

To me, I just don’t find it entertaining or informative. I could careless what a beaver tastes like. Or what the tissue behind a deers eye tastes like. I have a freezer full of 7 different big game species. To me he’s just trying to hard to be different. It’s made him a lot of money. But I’m just not a fan 🤷*♂️
Old 04-08-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I don’t think there is any particular reason his show is on Netflix. It’s on the sportsman channel also

To me, I just don’t find it entertaining or informative. I could careless what a beaver tastes like. Or what the tissue behind a deers eye tastes like. I have a freezer full of 7 different big game species. To me he’s just trying to hard to be different. It’s made him a lot of money. But I’m just not a fan 🤷*♂️
At least you can tell Rinella has a lot of respect for hunting and harvesting in general.

I watch his show for the overall story and hunting experience. He's not touting some trophy he's shot over a feeder. Anyone can get a monster animal if your pockets are deep enough.

Nice to see a guy screwing around on public land like most of us bums.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:36 PM

Default The rifleman tv show

I wonder how many of the animals taken on these hunting shows are killed at a feeder, on a food plot, inside an estate style location, or at the least with an outfitter? The majority of these so called hunters do not to get out and do it completely on their own.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I wonder how many of the animals taken on these hunting shows are killed at a feeder, on a food plot, inside an estate style location, or at the least with an outfitter? The majority of these so called hunters do not to get out and do it completely on their own.
Most would have to be with either an outfitter or at least a hunter host? I don’t think there are to many places that will let someone from out of the province or state hunt by themselves. At least I don’t believe they do, I don’t think Alberta is an oddball in that respect.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
At least you can tell Rinella has a lot of respect for hunting and harvesting in general.

I watch his show for the overall story and hunting experience. He's not touting some trophy he's shot over a feeder. Anyone can get a monster animal if your pockets are deep enough.

Nice to see a guy screwing around on public land like most of us bums.
I don’t know how you can judge the level of respect.
I would say he has more than say, the Walsh kid. But I wouldn’t say he has any more than shockey or even most other shows. Don’t kid yourself. He’s going on guided hunts too. Not all guides are great also. I learned a lot from 1 maybe 2 guides I’ve gone with. The rest, well, not so much. Lots of monsters shot in Alberta for free too. If rinella hunted here as a resident. I’d Put him in the category of a guy that shoots a 130” deer every year, kinda guy. He be too bush picking blue berries in the bush to see the animals that walk by him lol. He just doesn’t do anything interesting in my opinion.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I don’t think there is any particular reason his show is on Netflix.
He is a well spoken individual and sells a story well. His narration and writing style resonates to more than just hardcore hunters and outdoorsmen. Thats all i was infering.

Im a born and bred Albertan and feel like id rather share a campfire with the Meateater crew than 99% of the "teams" on wild tv. I just cant take the chest pounding and sponsor milking. Those are the types of guys that only get invited to elk camp ONCE lol
Old 04-09-2020, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
He is a well spoken individual and sells a story well. His narration and writing style resonates to more than just hardcore hunters and outdoorsmen. Thats all i was infering.

Im a born and bred Albertan and feel like id rather share a campfire with the Meateater crew than 99% of the "teams" on wild tv. I just cant take the chest pounding and sponsor milking. Those are the types of guys that only get invited to elk camp ONCE lol
He has the advantage over 99% of other shows due to the fact that he gets paid from nexflix
All the shows on wildtv have to pay out of their own pocket. Hence the sponsor push. They keep the lights on. They pay the bills.

Rinella sold his name and branding years ago
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/variety....202964920/amp/
Old 04-09-2020, 12:48 PM

delete

Last edited by JBE; 04-09-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:36 PM

Default The rifleman

Quote:
He has the advantage over 99% of other shows due to the fact that he gets paid from nexflix
All the shows on wildtv have to pay out of their own pocket. Hence the sponsor push. They keep the lights on. They pay the bills.

I feel the same way as you do Marky.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:40 PM

Default The rifleman

Quote:

Sorry, this is what I wanted to say when I said that I agreed with Marky. Guys who don’t want to help out and share expenses only go hunting g with me once.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Did steve steal a girl from you in college or something?

Its not the greatest show ever made but I cant really understand the jealousy of a guy who kept his show the same since inception and ended up winning in the end. I say good for him.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Did steve steal a girl from you in college or something?

Its not the greatest show ever made but I cant really understand the jealousy of a guy who kept his show the same since inception and ended up winning in the end. I say good for him.
There’s absolutely nothing to be jealous about rinella and what has done. Zero.
Everyone just makes it out to be the best show available but I just don’t see it
I’m actually excited to see Dallas cota’s stone sheep hunt that they filmed for the experience. I like watching jason Hairston’s hunts too. The one they did in the yukon with bonnet plume is awesome. Don’t wait... it’s a good message I’m that video.

Last edited by marky_mark; 04-09-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
There’s absolutely nothing to be jealous about rinella and what has done. Zero.
Everyone just makes it out to be the best show available but I just don’t see it
I’m actually excited to see Dallas cota’s stone sheep hunt that they filmed for the experience. I like watching jason Hairston’s hunts too. The one they did in the yukon with bonnet plume is awesome. Don’t wait... it’s a good message I’m that video.
I agree. They seem to go about things the way most of us do on here. Nothing to be jealous of.

Im gonna check out these other productions you have listed.

Cheers.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
The only show I watched was Jim Shockey.
He shoots a really good show, I don't like him as a person as he is a arrogant *****. But his show is really well done.
The only show I now watch is Meat Eater, best hunting show of all time in my opinion.
While it's true that Shockey has an inflated ego, who can blame him ?
He's the most successful N American Outfitters ever, with some of the finest BG hunting areas to be found anywhere and has a great TV show and following. Plus, it all started from scratch. Compared to some I see on here, his ego is mild. I've met him a couple of times and found him very personable. Real success has it's spin-off's.. some positive, some negative.
Rinella's show is great but, at least to me, it's in a much different league than Jim's. Both appear to be great individuals. Can't say the same for a host of others. Respect is earned, not a given.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:22 PM

I am sorry but some of our local Alberta hunting shows are terrible!! I don’t know what the point is or why they do it. It seems like they are trying to hard and full of crappy sponsorships. I don’t watch much hunting tv but if I do it’s usually Shockey or Rinella with a few others mixed in.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I loved Wild TV when it first came out thought it was the greatest thing now I can't stand any of these hunting shows, I think it's wrecking this sport and definitely changing people's ethics especially with long range shooting out-of-the-box thousand-yard guns blah blah blah.

Exactly,

So many new hunters think its just like on TV. Most of the shows are guided and many are on private land with access to the guides only.
Not hard to shoot a big Whitetail in Texas for$$$$. Or a 300+ Bull Elk on a private ranch in the USA.
As for the long range idiots,I wonder how many animals are wounded,lost or in the best case missed.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I do like shockeys shows, even though “word on the street” is he’s pretty arrogant
I like the adventure side of some of these hunts and shows
Watching any deer hunting show is boring
Can only see so many tree stand or pop up blind hunts before I lose interest
I like “the experience” on YouTube
Favourite hunting episode ever is the eastmans journal hunt for Marco Polo in Tajikistan. Must have watched that episode 100 times. That hunt I must do before I die
Do you mean the episode with Bryan Martin the outfitter charged with wild life offences.