Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM

Unfortunately this brings up a moral issue.
I hate poachers as much as the next guy but Pat was a valued aspect of this forum and in his quest for 29 had some of the best posts.
The circumstances suck and although none of us condone poaching we just may not be part of the lynch mob that revels in his dismay.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Does not fit the crime at all. He should be hung from a tall tree with a short rope. The dempster corrider has been in place for years. This was an ILLEGALLY SHOT GRIZZLY BEAR!!! Not one too many grouse. This ***** should never be allowed to step foot up here again. Too many Albertans guiding up here as it is. One less wont be missed...especially a rulebreaker.
Quote:
If there were more people with ambition in Alberta you would not need half of Saskatchewan, all of Newfoundland and 1/3 of the Phillipines to do your work for you.

fact is short season and low pay so most locals that guide take time off work to do it, the rest of us are to busy hunting during hunting season. But there is no shortage of southern dummies willing to work their asses off for 200 bucks per day. Supply and demand.

Typical Albertan...ride in with six guns blazin and a ten gallon hat to cover his swelled head. When he gets caught doing something dumb his best excuse is "Well Gee Whiz, I thought it would be ok" and a lot of guys on here eat that up with a spoon and ask for seconds. He guided a hunter to shoot a grizzly in a corridor. He cost his employer 20000 in a giveaway hunt and a lot of credibility in the hunting community.

The information that should be taken from this thread is you are responsible for your actions.

Any other comment in regards to residency really means nothing.

Individuals are everywhere and it makes no difference, everybody has the potential to make decisions that can be wrong.

I am disappointed; only time will determine if lessons are learned.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
If there were more people with ambition in Alberta you would not need half of Saskatchewan, all of Newfoundland and 1/3 of the Phillipines to do your work for you.

fact is short season and low pay so most locals that guide take time off work to do it, the rest of us are to busy hunting during hunting season. But there is no shortage of southern dummies willing to work their asses off for 200 bucks per day. Supply and demand.

Typical Albertan...ride in with six guns blazin and a ten gallon hat to cover his swelled head. When he gets caught doing something dumb his best excuse is "Well Gee Whiz, I thought it would be ok" and a lot of guys on here eat that up with a spoon and ask for seconds. He guided a hunter to shoot a grizzly in a corridor. He cost his employer 20000 in a giveaway hunt and a lot of credibility in the hunting community.
Is that the reason all the outfitters up there but two are not from the Yukon ??? Because they're too busy making money elsewhere and hunting ???

I'm not condoning what he did and I already commented on that. I'm also not going to listen to some clown show paint all Albertans with the same brush. 50% of the people I've met in the Yukon were waiting for their next government check or program so they could get their EI hours for the year, but I know others that work hard for a living and think as little of the system abusers as I do.

I'm sure there's a great forum in the Yukon you could join and be a hero up there if you don't like us 6 gun blazin cowboys down here in Alberta
Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Is that the reason all the outfitters up there but two are not from the Yukon ??? Because they're too busy making money elsewhere and hunting ???

I'm not condoning what he did and I already commented on that. I'm also not going to listen to some clown show paint all Albertans with the same brush. 50% of the people I've met in the Yukon were waiting for their next government check or program so they could get their EI hours for the year, but I know others that work hard for a living and think as little of the system abusers as I do.

I'm sure there's a great forum in the Yukon you could join and be a hero up there if you don't like us 6 gun blazin cowboys down here in Alberta
Outfitters anf guides are 2 diferent things in case you didnt know. And on that note im outa here.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Banned

Too bad, I admired his accomplishments. Kinda leads way to doubt now.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Outfitters anf guides are 2 diferent things in case you didnt know. And on that note im outa here.
Hopefully for good.... Now don't come back!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Quote:
As you should be. Off topic, whiny, childish generalizations by uninformed...person's, belong elsewhere.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:

It seems it wasn't to long ago when you were a resident of AB....maybe the Yukon residents think the same about scum like you moving in!! Now back under the bridge for you!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
It seems it wasn't to long ago when you were a resident of AB....maybe the Yukon residents think the same about scum like you moving in!! Now back under the bridge for you!!!
X2 !!! well said pikeslayer

and yes I know the difference between the two.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 AM

The article states that the highway corridor is 8 km, and the bear was within a kilometer, which would make it hard to believe an 'I thought I was far enough from the road' story. However, the 2013 Yukon regs state

So how far away was the bear? Was he told he could hunt there based on it being a caribou hunt, and didn't realize that only applied to caribou?

Was he at 400 m when the shot was taken?

Was an ATV used, and that is what the charge is for?

There is a huge difference between 8 km and 500 meters. It kinda muddies the details of the news story for me.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Banned

If Pat is paying the fine himself, I would guess he knew better but did it anyway, if the outfitter is paying the fine for him I would think it's his fault.

Although it was illegal it doesn't seem to be that serious of an offence. The animal was shot in a regulated area but not in a park or at night or out of season. Doesn't seem like the intent was to poach, but thankfully it's not up to me to decide.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:26 AM

"Poaching" covers a host of illegal activities. All of which could be considered poaching. Why is there an avoidance of using the word poaching? Many, many, have done it, few are caught. Taking game when tresspassing or from wildlife corridors are two apples off the same tree. Build one bridge and you are a ...... .......
Old 09-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Banned

It is sad, disgusting and bloody embarassing to see a representative of a magazine and forum publicly defend a convicted poacher. I guess it's ok because he "wrote" (mumbled a bunch of ramblings to someone with enough patience to sort through all the profanity and twisted english) an article for the magazine.

Thats the last issue of AO I will ever buy.

Others have said it before and I will say it again: If it wasn't a member of the good ole boys club here not a soul would stick up for him. Who cares that he did the 29? A poacher is a poacher and deserves no respect.

It's so wonderful that he "manned up" and "owned it" after he got caught? That deserves forgivness for blatant disregard of important hunting regulations? What kind of "guide" stands by while a client opens fire at a Grizzly inside a sanctuary?

In my opinion 7 years isn't enough. The outfitting industry can do without his kind.

Shame on all of you that have stuck up for him.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
The article states that the highway corridor is 8 km, and the bear was within a kilometer, which would make it hard to believe an 'I thought I was far enough from the road' story. However, the 2013 Yukon regs state

So how far away was the bear? Was he told he could hunt there based on it being a caribou hunt, and didn't realize that only applied to caribou?

There is a huge difference between 8 km and 500 meters. It kinda muddies the details of the news story for me.
Was he on that small portion of the hi way?(km 68 to the nwt border)
Old 09-02-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fishin Magician View Post
It is sad, disgusting and bloody embarassing to see a representative of a magazine and forum publicly defend a convicted poacher. I guess it's ok because he "wrote" (mumbled a bunch of ramblings to someone with enough patience to sort through all the profanity and twisted english) an article for the magazine.

Others have said it before and I will say it again: If it wasn't a member of the good ole boys club here not a soul would stick up for him. Who cares that he did the 29? A poacher is a poacher and deserves no respect.

It's so wonderful that he "manned up" and "owned it" after he got caught? That deserves forgivness for blatant disregard of important hunting regulations? What kind of "guide" stands by while a client opens fire at a Grizzly inside a sanctuary?

In my opinion 7 years isn't enough. The outfitting industry can do without his kind.

X2
Old 09-02-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fishin Magician View Post

Deleting this thread in the first place showed that a mod wanted to cover this up real quick. Displays the mindset of some that control things around here. Not to mention the deletion of some of the posts that were on the thread. That in itself shows the blatant favourtism which has been ongoing here. Not only did Pat Garrett break laws, but AO at the time thought it fine to cover it up.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Banned

I'm sure mine won't be far behind.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:19 PM

I would not put much faith in the newspaper article and Pat Garret owes no explanation to this forum either. What actually went on is only known by who was present and this thread is nothing more than a bunch of looky loos at a public lashing. How can we come to these iron clad opinions on his merit and integrity without any doubt at all without being in court at the very least?
If you are so sure of his crime and needed punishment send him an email with your real name on the bottom telling him so and cc the crowd here while you are at it.........thought so.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post

I agree was it 20 m off the road or 490 m? Did he turn himself in or was he reported ? What was the outfitters role in all of this ? I don' t know this guy and will not defend his actions but I think some more details are needed before lynching the guy.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Banned

Sometimes the truth is terribly ugly.

Poaching isn't good either.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I would not put much faith in the newspaper article and Pat Garret owes no explanation to this forum either. What actually went on is only known by who was present and this thread is nothing more than a bunch of looky loos at a public lashing. How can we come to these iron clad opinions on his merit and integrity without any doubt at all without being in court at the very least?
If you are so sure of his crime and needed punishment send him an email with your real name on the bottom telling him so and cc the crowd here while you are at it.........thought so.
X2, lot of psychics on this forum apparently.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The one thing that news article almost certainly has correct is that Pat plead guilty to the offense.

Pat's getting an rude introduction to social media and by starting the Superslam thread I agrue that Pat essentially started a twitter account. He may have only wanted to share his story and accomplishments, in doing so he gathered a following. Guys enjoyed the story and some maybe even looked up to him. His appearences on TV hunting programs would only add to this.

While Pat may not owe the site anything but he should understand that he has opened himself up to the court of public opinion.

Understand that if you put you life out there to be judged people are going to judge it.

Although I don't know Pat he seems like a super nice guy and I hate for him that he made this error in judgement. I would think this is going to be a black mark on his image for a while. Some will never forgive him, some will in time and some already have but in time I suspect most will have forgtten and moved on.

That's my input on this one.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
How did anyone come to that conclusion about the Edson poachers and no one came to their defense? The matter there is before the courts, with charges laid but no convictions, and none of us were with anyone charged or even knows them, but there was pages of people publicly bashing them and I didn't see anyone commenting on this thread coming to their defense (rightfully so I should add, no one should defend the actions of these people).

Heck, he's been CONVICTED, so I can't see how it's defensible (guilty plea or otherwise, convicted is convicted).
Old 09-02-2014, 01:37 PM

Just interesting how most of you believe other news stories that come out about offenders, Police, Politicians, etc. without hesitation.
Then as soon as it's a friend, etc. you think the Courts and news are wrong in some way.

I guess we will see down the road how threads go when other news stories come out.
I don't know this fella at all and now don't care to. Maybe I'm wrong and he's a great guy. I don't know.
Doesn't really matter does it?

Have a safe and great hunting season.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Banned

I've met the guy and been around him a little bit. This isn't exactly shocking.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:49 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what AO mods are hiding, why delete a post that was 10 plus pages and over 10,000 views?
Old 09-02-2014, 02:13 PM

Conspiracy!!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Conspiracy!!
Must be haha
Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Conspiracy!!
I knew it....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-02-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what AO mods are hiding, why delete a post that was 10 plus pages and over 10,000 views?
I doubt that the thread was deleted some posts were removed putting it back in order of date last posted.
Closed Thread