Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-31-2014, 07:35 PM

Default archery shops

what are some of the better archery shops in Calgary and surrounding area, i don't want to go to bass pro or wholesale i actually want a good archery pro shop. thanks for any advice!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:39 PM

I have had nothing but good experiences at Jim bows archery, and give them all my archery business, just good salt of the earth people. Have also heard good things about Calgary archery center if your in the south.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:55 PM

Go to cac if you want to shoot.. go to jim bows if you want top notch service..
Old 08-31-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
I have had nothing but good experiences at Jim bows archery, and give them all my archery business, just good salt of the earth people. Have also heard good things about Calgary archery center if your in the south.
Thanks! I'm in the midst of buying a place in cochrane so it doesn't really matter where it is, a good shop is worth driving extra distance to, I'm just looking for a shop thats got good people who know what there doing
Old 08-31-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogwalker View Post
Go to cac if you want to shoot.. go to jim bows if you want top notch service..
thanks! do you know if there are any outdoor ranges or 3d clubs around?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM

Default archery shops

Calgary Archers has an outdoor range on north side of highway #8 by Elbow springs golf course. We have an 100m target range, 24 target field range and 20 target 3D range with elevated shooting platform.

http://www.calgaryarchers.org

North by Carstairs Bighorn Bowhunters have an outdoor range, i have not been there so can not comment on their setup..

http://bighornbowhuntersandarchers.com

Have Fun
Old 08-31-2014, 09:09 PM

Default archery shops

Almost forgot, The Cochrane Archery club , is just north of town off of highway #22.

http://cochranearchery.ca/
Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Whelen View Post
Almost forgot, The Cochrane Archery club , is just north of town off of highway #22.

http://cochranearchery.ca/
Right on! thanks for all the help
Old 08-31-2014, 09:37 PM

You can't go wrong at Jimbows!!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 PM

I have had nothing but good experiences at both CAC and Jimbow's. Most of my bow shopping and shooting is done at CAC. It's closer to my house, very close to my work and has a 40 yard range with 16, 3D animals always set up. I was there the other night and had a couple small issues with kids bows and they gave them a quick look and tweak no charge. Both shops are worth a visit. As far as clubs go look into Dragon Flyte archery as well. Not too far from Cochrane as well.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:17 AM

Haven't had a good experience at the CAC. I will only go to Jimbows!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:38 AM

Jimbows all the way! All the guys there are super helpful and honest and you get treated proper there. Had nothing but bad experiences with calgary archery, will never step back into that shop...
Old 09-01-2014, 12:53 PM

Jimbows all the way,you can shoot there as well
Old 09-01-2014, 05:04 PM

thanks everyone! I'm gunna go to jim bows, also if anyone ever wants to get out and do some shooting just send me a pm.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophanator View Post
Jimbows all the way! All the guys there are super helpful and honest and you get treated proper there. Had nothing but bad experiences with calgary archery, will never step back into that shop...
I wish I could say that I was shocked by this. Jim and Joe seem to really run their shop with a customer first and service attitude. CAC can be very hit or miss especially for people that they dont know. I think customer service took a huge hit when Craig passed away.
When I bought my first bow I went into CAC with a few of the regulars that had got me into archery and I was recognized by the staff and treated very well right off the bat.
I have seen people come in to shop for a bow and some get treated great and some are barely given the time of day. That said a lot of the regulars and staff shooters are very friendly and helpful.

If Jim-bows has the bow you want that would be the place to go I think, in Calgary, you cant beat the indoor range at CAC.

To the OP if you are headed to CAC to shoot and care to hook up and chat I dont need much of an excuse to go and fling some arrows, maybe shoot a round or 2 of 3-D.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 PM

If you don't mind driving a bit Dragon Flight isn't to far from Cochrane and has a really cool indoor 3D range and 3D field course but I still always go to Jim Bows for all my bow needs.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 AM

Whatever happened to the one west of Water Valley? Used to go to 3d's out there, and the last year I was out there he'd set up a short indoor range. Some of the guys from Bighorn were going there at the time.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Banned

Jim Bows is an awesome shop run by awesome guys.

Calgary Archery Center is an awesome shop run by the snobbiest, rudest, most ignorant losers to ever make minimum wage. Al Southwood and his wife have no business in sales.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
I wish I could say that I was shocked by this. Jim and Joe seem to really run their shop with a customer first and service attitude. CAC can be very hit or miss especially for people that they dont know. I think customer service took a huge hit when Craig passed away.
When I bought my first bow I went into CAC with a few of the regulars that had got me into archery and I was recognized by the staff and treated very well right off the bat.
I have seen people come in to shop for a bow and some get treated great and some are barely given the time of day. That said a lot of the regulars and staff shooters are very friendly and helpful.

If Jim-bows has the bow you want that would be the place to go I think, in Calgary, you cant beat the indoor range at CAC.

To the OP if you are headed to CAC to shoot and care to hook up and chat I dont need much of an excuse to go and fling some arrows, maybe shoot a round or 2 of 3-D.
i sent you a pm, not sure if it worked thou
Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Whatever happened to the one west of Water Valley? Used to go to 3d's out there, and the last year I was out there he'd set up a short indoor range. Some of the guys from Bighorn were going there at the time.
That is probably Dragon Flight Archery. It is still open, the owner is Adrian. The indoor 3D range is 50 yards though so not short.