Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 AM

Default My wife messed up my tags...I need serious help

She came to me and told me guess what? I got you another elk tag and now you can shoot two elks? I said WHHAAAT????

Here is the background.......

1. I had a plan to buy General Elk tag so that I can do archery hunting and also general season elk hunting and I took 2 weeks off with lots of difficulties from office.

2. She found out the undersubscribe tags online and she went and she applied for undersubscribe "antlerless elk" tag for me and it was awarded to me without telling/asking me first. !

3. When I went to buy my general elk tag, they told me that I am awarded cow elk in Dec-Jan season and I can't buy general elk.

So here is my question.....

Is it possible by any legal means that I get my general elk tag?
I don't care about the cow elk tag at all.

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 09-02-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:25 AM

Change your password
You can contact fish and wildlife but I don't know what that would do.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:31 AM

Easy there. She meant no harm in it. Just wanted to help. At least she wants you to go hunting. I know many would rather have their other stay home and do nothing.
I would contact F&W and see what they can do.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:41 AM

Sounds like to me she's planning a hot date, but seriously any women that encourages hunting is a keeper. Nothing wrong with cow tags, secondly she just extended your season. Congrats. BTW does she have a sister?.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Banned

A woman in NewBrunswick "harvested" her husband ,,, mistaking him for a Black Bear, she convinced the court at her MURDER trial , she was acquitted !

Maybe. You can harvest your wife ? Does she resemble an elk ?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:07 PM

Go to fish and wildlife and cancel the license and you will be able to purchase the other. I've experienced similar license changes for elk and moose.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:29 PM

What's wrong with a cow elk? Can't eat antlers and cows tend to taste much better than a knarly old bull!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Go to fish and wildlife and cancel the license and you will be able to purchase the other. I've experienced similar license changes for elk and moose.
I went to the head office in Edmonton and request them, they took my information and later called me an told me that they can't help me and I have to use my cow elk tag this year.

I will call them again and ask them to CANCEL the cow license and see what they have to say over the phone.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
What's wrong with a cow elk? Can't eat antlers and cows tend to taste much better than a knarly old bull!
Nothing is wrong with cow elk except that it will be 4 feet of snow there in dec-Jan and I don't have a snow mobile.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post
Nothing is wrong with cow elk except that it will be 4 feet of snow there in dec-Jan and I don't have a snow mobile.
What wmu is the draw for?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
what wmu is the draw for?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I went to the head office in Edmonton and request them, they took my information and later called me an told me that they can't help me and I have to use my cow elk tag this year.

I will call them again and ask them to CANCEL the cow license and see what they have to say over the phone.
I 999'd for an antlered elk and later realized I wanted to go for Suffield antlerless. F&W cancelled my 999'd antlered submisssion and that opened it up for me to draw for the Suffiled antlerless.

I drew for an antlered moose in some WMU but later realized I wanted a general tag to use in multiple WMU's for archery season. F&W cancelled my antlered moose draw tag and that allowed me to purhcase a general tag.

These have been my actual experiences.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Close, 357/358 I could have at least helped you tag out...
Old 09-02-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
I 999'd for an antlered elk and later realized I wanted to go for Suffield antlerless. F&W cancelled my 999'd antlered submisssion and that opened it up for me to draw for the Suffiled antlerless.

I drew for an antlered moose in some WMU but later realized I wanted a general tag to use in multiple WMU's for archery season. F&W cancelled my antlered moose draw tag and that allowed me to purhcase a general tag.

These have been my actual experiences.
F&W just lets guys change their mind after the draws have been conducted? That strikes me as a dangerous precedent. I guess just put in for everything and then decide later what you actually want to do. Not saying that was your intent at all (honest), but I fear that's the behavior that will be encouraged. I do feel for the OP though... but on the otherhand, you have a wonderful wife. If you have to harvest the January antlerless elk, it can be your love cow. LOL
Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 PM

In the past F&W used to let people cancel their draw tags, but I know of several instances where requests of this type have been refused in recent years. This is a different situation than the OP, but the bottom line, is that if you don't want the tag, don't apply for it. As to the OP , just make the best of it, and change your password, so it can't happen again.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:10 PM

I am pretty sad right now because I called them too and they told me that they can't help me at all. I have to live with the cow tag this year.

Now on the other hand, I think I should take my wife with me and shoot the cow (by cow I mean the antlerless elk cow, not my wife) and tell her to go get the cow and make her do all the work.... to teach her a lesson...
Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
to teach her a lesson...
Let us know how that works for ya!

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
F&W just lets guys change their mind after the draws have been conducted? That strikes me as a dangerous precedent. I guess just put in for everything and then decide later what you actually want to do. Not saying that was your intent at all (honest), but I fear that's the behavior that will be encouraged. I do feel for the OP though... but on the otherhand, you have a wonderful wife. If you have to harvest the January antlerless elk, it can be your love cow. LOL
Well, nothing was gained by the changes. I did not get priority points back when I cancelled the antlered moose tag, that was a proviso of the change and I accepted that without a tear. Next year I was a 0. Didn't gain any priority for the antlered elk 999 that I paid for either. The whole paper shuffling effort was borne by the kindly F&W guy who helped me out. Hey, after I talk to most people, they realize this guy needs all the help we can give 'em
Old 09-02-2014, 03:47 PM

I think you are looking at this all wrong. First off your wife wants you to go hunting and its for a cow elk which is great. Next year you get to remind her how she screwed up your bull elk hunt than you get another 2 week hunt out of the deal. Seems pretty good to me.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:04 PM

Find a new wife that has an elk tag.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:35 PM

That'll be a pretty easy tag to fill if you don't mind the snow and cold.

Ya know what they say...make lemonade!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 PM

Hopefully in Jan when you get to go hunting you'll be happy.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tag hunny.... And by the way I just bought a new sled so I could fully appreciate your thoughtful and wonderful gift you gave to me.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post
I think you are looking at this all wrong. First off your wife wants you to go hunting and its for a cow elk which is great. Next year you get to remind her how she screwed up your bull elk hunt than you get another 2 week hunt out of the deal. Seems pretty good to me.
X2
Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 PM

Default cow elk

The only thing you gotta decide is do you want to be right or be happy.Cheaper to keep her.Your still huntin elk.Better than workin a shift
Old 09-02-2014, 10:27 PM

Your stuck with the 359 tag...

Anyway ninja i will be going up there with my friends at sametime... might be able to help you out. Pm me for details