Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 PM

Default Going gutless first time?

So... I'm hoping this year will bag me my first whitetail. I went out hunting occasionally with dad as a kid, but never got anything. I used to blame him, as I never remember him ever bagging anything, but thinking back, I was a noisy kid. This year, I've got a few animals pegged and hope to get one of my own.

That being said, here's the question: having no one show me, other than YouTube, would you attempt a gutless method, or go with the tried-and-true field dressing? (I've seen/helped on a deer field dressed but never done one myself).

Lots of YouTube and anatomy lessons, and I'm a pretty smart guy, handy with a knife. I think I could comfortably handle either method without screwing it up too bad. I know that opinions are like buttholes, everyone's got one, and that gutless method seems less messy but far more technical. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

(Ps: I'm scheduled to go out with a buddy, who has never hunted but would be a good helper, if that makes a difference)
Old 08-31-2014, 08:34 PM

Give it a go. It's simple, once you have done it you will see how easy it is. Just take your time. With a friend to help hold a leg etc it will be really easy.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:37 PM

Hi There,

I have only been hunting for 2 years and this will be my 3rd year going out. If you have a place to take the deer and hang it that will be a big help at lest i find it does. As hanging the deer you can skin and gut it at the sametime. I'm not sure if that will help or not. Thats what me and my buds do every year when hunting.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:50 PM

Before the known is the unknown.
I first did it on a moose years ago. Then elk along the years.

Deer are an easy animal to section up and go gutless.

But I like liver, so I pull the innards out right at the end of the process.

You can do it. Easy.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:13 PM

Default Gutless

I don't know when I last gutted an animal? It's easy to start, and you become very good at doing it. I would suggest you strip the rib meat off and fry up for later. Alberta has been known to have very shaky law with regards to what is considered edible meat. This charge is mostly handed out when scum leave whole animals or only take two quarters of an animal. Any charge that would be based on a "you could have taken this 1 inch piece of grizzle" Will never see court time by prosecutors. When the courts are presented with current butchering practices and its seen what is considered safe for consumption, they get chucked out of Court. Just cuz it's easier to pay a fine , fight if your innocent.
I have a real jem, I have a recording of a senior officer stating that to him rib meat is not considered meat. That opens a lot of controversy for what is meat.
Is Liver meat? Not for me! Lung?Kidney? Liver?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:44 AM

Yeah... I also believe that organs are not meat. So I wouldn't be taking them anyways.
Thanks for the replies! Certainly helps the confidence factor.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 AM

For a deer I don't think I would bother with the gutless method. I do all my moose and elk that way but have never done a deer gutless. Unless the deer needs to come out on your back IMO its generally more convenient to deal with it in one piece.

If the animal needs to be quartered before it can be packed out then go gutless, if the animal doesn't need to be quartered until the time of butchering just dress it out.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:35 AM

This is a new term for me ..gut less.
Are we just talking about not gutting the animal and just removing as much meat as we can from the animal and leaving the inner bones and guts all together. Is it legal in Alberta ?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:59 PM

Once you go gutless, you never go back. Just do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7AHA2TyqHo
Old 09-01-2014, 01:28 PM

I have watched the vids etc about the gutless method, only reason I have not attempted it yet it that I wasnt sure of it would be legal in alberta.
It would be much easier to get moose and elk out via this method than removing whole as we do now...

Last edited by EdmontonKnifeMaker; 09-01-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
Once you go gutless, you never go back. Just do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7AHA2TyqHo
I disagree, both methods have their place. A deer within a kilometer of a road or trail I will drag, possibly if I ever happened to kill a deer and my pack frame was on my back instead of back at the truck I would go gutless.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I disagree, both methods have their place. A deer within a kilometer of a road or trail I will drag, possibly if I ever happened to kill a deer and my pack frame was on my back instead of back at the truck I would go gutless.
X2
For deer assuming it's November I usually just gut and throw in the back of my truck if I have a way to get to it or it to my truck.
Once home I will hang and skin.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonKnifeMaker View Post
I have watched the vids etc about the gutless method, only reason I have not attempted it yet it that I wasnt sure of it would be legal in alberta.
It would be much easier to get moose and elk out via this method than removing whole as we do now...
It is totally legal depending on a few rules. (I'll cover deer elk and moose) if you quarter an animal first you have to leave evidence of sex attached to the same hind quarter you applied the tag. Other than that if your tag is dependent on antler or antlerless or if there is a point restriction you must retain the complete skull plate. You also must include evidence of species if not included in the previous rules.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 PM

What about the tenderloin?
Old 09-01-2014, 11:23 PM

For deer just gut it normal unless your like 7 miles from the road. Once you get good at it you can usually have it done within 5-10 min and if its really cold the body heat from the deer keeps your hands somewhat warm.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger257 View Post
What about the tenderloin?
You can slice behind the last rib and cut it out.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:09 PM

I think I have been misinformed on what the gutless method was until now, but after watching the video and seeing that it does infact include taking out the tenderloin I might have to give this a try. And maybe search around for a delicious heart if it's still intact.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:33 PM

I showed an old time moose hunter how to do this a couple of years ago and now this is the only way he does it. For deer I probably wouln't but for anything larger it is the only way to go.

L.S.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:36 PM

I cut the rib meat off like a blanket.. and then once home cut in strips and cook in bacon grease with eggs and french toast mmmmmmmmm....but thats for deer.

For moose though.... we through the blanket of ribs in the ground
Old 09-03-2014, 07:49 PM

Gave this a go last night after taking a beautiful Doe, have to say very easy and so much easier than the old way. will me be go to method from now on.

Last edited by Vet6838; 09-03-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-03-2014, 08:10 PM

i wouldn't even bother with the gutless method on a deer. they aren't heavy and can easily be taken out of the bush whole and butchered at home. If you have dogs, they love bones and you would get a whole lot more of them if you processed your deer at home. IMHO the gutless method is more for the big animals i.e. moose or elk or for anyone having to pack out their game on foot for long hauls. You save weight and trips doing it that way but for a deer I would just gut and bring home. keep every part of it you can.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
i wouldn't even bother with the gutless method on a deer. they aren't heavy and can easily be taken out of the bush whole and butchered at home. If you have dogs, they love bones and you would get a whole lot more of them if you processed your deer at home. IMHO the gutless method is more for the big animals i.e. moose or elk or for anyone having to pack out their game on foot for long hauls. You save weight and trips doing it that way but for a deer I would just gut and bring home. keep every part of it you can.
I do it with deer almost all the time. My back ain't like it used to be and my whitetail hunting partner is an old geeze with a pace maker. It's way easier.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I do it with deer almost all the time. My back ain't like it used to be and my whitetail hunting partner is an old geeze with a pace maker. It's way easier.
Same with me, only my partner has two artificial knees!!
I picked up a childs plastic clamshell-style sled at a Dollar Store that I attach to the back of my daypack, and use it to slide my 'gutless' meat out to the truck over the snow. Works slicker than snot on a glass door-knob!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Same with me, only my partner has two artificial knees!!
I picked up a childs plastic clamshell-style sled at a Dollar Store that I attach to the back of my daypack, and use it to slide my 'gutless' meat out to the truck over the snow. Works slicker than snot on a glass door-knob!
Thanks Thumper. I think one will go in my pack this November now
Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 PM

It's the only way I've ever done deer, goats and kangaroo's, we don't have the luxury of cool/cold weather in Asutralia, so most game is broken down and into an ice chest ASAP.