Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Yep! cause these two cases are identical.

"Alberta Fish and Wildlife Officers have laid 323 charges against 10 individuals in a high-profile poaching case"

And don't give me that crap about poaching is poaching or the breaking the law is "breaking the law"

Otherwise I want to sign on the petition where drunk drivers, speeders and tax evaders all get life in prison.

I'm in no way saying Pat did nothing wrong. He did. He admitted it. Didn't blame anyone else and will pay the penalty.
Yep your right 2 totally differnt cases. One is a bunch of stupid poachers that had no concern for causing pain and suffering but are in no way associated with being hunters or associated with our sport.

The second is a well know hunter, Guide and hunting personality who broke several laws that he either knew or should have known while representing the hunting faternity.

Not sure which is worse but in the case of public image I know which I think is worse. Never the less they both got caught and have recieved penalties according to the courts but this whole attitude that other people break the law so it is ok is archaic and ignorant.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Yep your right 2 totally differnt cases. One is a bunch of stupid poachers that had no concern for causing pain and suffering but are in no way associated with being hunters or associated with our sport.

The second is a well know hunter, Guide and hunting personality who broke several laws that he either knew or should have known while representing the hunting faternity.

Not sure which is worse but in the case of public image I know which I think is worse. Never the less they both got caught and have recieved penalties according to the courts but this whole attitude that other people break the law so it is ok is archaic and ignorant.
I don't think anyone has condoned his actions, but rather condemned the attack on his reputation. I, for one, feel that the judgement handed down by the crown is enough, and his livelyhood as an outfitter in Alberta shouldn't be jeopardized by this incident.

I'm not sure what your definition of 'several' is, but to me he would have to break more than 2 laws (resulting in more than 3 charges) for me to say he broke several laws.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
This is only because its about a fella that is/was very looked up to around here. The majority here like to lick his boots. If it was an ordinary every day guy that people here didn't know somewhat, the membership here would be yelling to crucify him.

I read the article. Sounds like a good old road hunt on the Dempster to me. Interpret it how you want to i guess.
......This post Sums it up Just right....."Lick his boots",is right
Old 09-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Sorry Swifty I dont agree.

I think if you break a law associated with either the wild life act or anything the contrivies local laws in a jurisdiction to which you are guiding or outfitting you should lose your ability continue outfitting.

If I break the law or do anything against the code of ethics in my professional association I will have my membership revoked. They take their reputation very seriously. I wish APOS would do the same.

As a footnote. I have met Pat on several occasions and like him and this is not bash against him but taking approrite steps against any outfitter who breaks the law concerning wildlife.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 PM

He got what he deserved. He broke the law and got caught. If he is making his living at this, he should have known what the laws are. As for the seven years, i dont think its long enough.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:05 PM

I tend to agree with you to a degree, but it wasn't APOS sanctions I was referring to, but rather the character attacks going on in this thread. Once it is on the internet, it is only a google search away.

If APOS did anything with regards to this, I would be shocked. They have, time and again, demonstrated that it is OK to continue guiding in Alberta after recieving serious convictions under our own wildlife act. For them to respond to a relatively minor conviction in a different jurisdiction would be mind blowing.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:08 PM

This thread would be different if each time that Pat Garret was mentioned, we replaced it with Joe Blow...try it.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
This thread would be different if each time that Pat Garret was mentioned, we replaced it with Joe Blow...try it.
I might not have commented, but my thoughts would be the same. I find I am more likely to be vocal if it is someone I have an association with. Human nature, maybe?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I might not have commented, but my thoughts would be the same. I find I am more likely to be vocal if it is someone I have an association with. Human nature, maybe?
Yes. That's exactly it. Myself, don't know him. He's joe blow to me. Your prolly right though. My feelings might be skewed if I knew him.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
10 people shooting and leaving 36 big game animals and leaving them to rot is a far cry from someone (regardless of their standing on this forum) from a guy missing some of the finer details in the regs. This is what I meant when I brought up intent. We can safely assume the wanton waste of 36 animals was done with no regard to the wildlife act, or the intentions of that act to protect our wildlife from waste or destruction. That makes them poachers.

On the other hand, from what the article states, Pat made a mistake (had no intention of breaking the law), owned his mistake, and will pay for his mistake. I am not, in any way, saying he should be excused. What I am saying is that dragging his reputation through the mud serves no productive purpouse, and is not appropriate in this case.

Agreed. Big difference between shooting a bunch of animals and leaving them and not knowing all the rules. I don't concidered Pat a poacher just a guy who didn't know/follow all the rules. Like was mentioned befor there are likely a lot of guys who broke the rules here on the board and didn't even realize it.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think 'intent' is a big part of labeling someone a poacher. Did he intend to ignore local laws, or did he make a mistake and get caught?
It looked like more than one "mistake"

And why so many defending these actions, quite disappointing actually!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Pretty much my opinion. Anyone remember the thread where the guy poached a mule deer? Guys were posting pictures of him and hiis girlfriend it got ridiculous. That was for one offence.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
A guy in that position who is that well known should know the rules....that being said, the label he now has is a black cloud that is hard to shake....he will pay his dues and move on I am guessing.

Amazing on one little road trip there was multiple infractions...."unbeknownst"

LC
I disagree with 95% of the things that Lc says but this is one I cannot disagree with. Well said!!!

Funny how people feel sorry for him breaking the rules; that's the downfall to social media. I have a saying if you don't know the rules 150% then don't guide. I don't believe a word of it to be honest. But he made a mistake and is taking the consequence which I respect
Old 09-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Sorry Swifty I dont agree.

I think if you break a law associated with either the wild life act or anything the contrivies local laws in a jurisdiction to which you are guiding or outfitting you should lose your ability continue outfitting.

If I break the law or do anything against the code of ethics in my professional association I will have my membership revoked. They take their reputation very seriously. I wish APOS would do the same.

As a footnote. I have met Pat on several occasions and like him and this is not bash against him but taking approrite steps against any outfitter who breaks the law concerning wildlife.
I like the way you think.

It sure would clear up a lot of congestion on the roads, when truckers who get moving violation tickets all have to find a new line of work.

Or cops who get any kind of ticket, should be fined and fired on the spot upon conviction.

I could go on, but this boring. I suspect the Pat bashing has little to do with his mistakes.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebatt View Post
It looked like more than one "mistake"

And why so many defending these actions, quite disappointing actually!
Show me one post that defends his actions.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:

It sure would clear up a lot of congestion on the roads, when truckers who get moving violation tickets all have to find a new line of work.

Or cops who get any kind of ticket, should be fined and fired on the spot upon conviction.

I could go on, but this boring. I suspect the Pat bashing has little to do with his mistakes.
You are out to lunch man!
If someone is guiding and breaking game laws with their hunter they should not be guiding!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:59 PM

Default When you're an example!

The thing is whenever you wandered into the limelight you become an example. In a "celebrities" quest for discovery they end up walking a razor thin line between popularity and noteriety. It's easy to fall either way! But that comes with the territory. People will look up to them, so they owe it to be a little more diligent. **** happens everyday to all of us, but the difference is aside from our children nobody looks at us for an example.

I will say I enjoyed all his pictures and stories. But one does have to question how a person with his background and knowledge would fined himself in that position! Even thou it's the dempster she's still a main highway. Hmmm
Old 09-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Show me one post that defends his actions.
Calling it an "honest" mistake is someone defending it.

I'm out of this discussion now. I'm getting sucked into the vortex of debating with users with thousand of posts, no winning against the armchair, key board experts.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:04 PM

10k and seven years no guiding....does this repercussion extend to hunting in Alberta? Usually if under restriction in another jurisdiction....means illegible to hunt in Alberta too does it not?

Not saying it should or shouldn't apply just asking if it does.

LC
Old 09-01-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveY66 View Post
I disagree with 95% of the things that Lc says but this is one I cannot disagree with. Well said!!!
You disagree with 17,346 of his posts???
Old 09-01-2014, 03:30 PM

I am glad there are so many upstanding fellow hunters on this forum. Seems like the majority here are perfect all the time. Good luck with this thread
Old 09-01-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
you disagree with 17,346 of his posts??? :sha_shakeshout::sha_shakeshout:
lmao...

Lc
Old 09-01-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:

If you fail to see the difference of being convicted of a crime and a misdemeanor speeding ticket trying to have an intelligent conversation with you is a waste of both of our time.

Doing a bit more reading and less typing would serve you well.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
If you fail to see the difference of being convicted of a crime and a misdemeanor speeding ticket trying to have an intelligent conversation with you is a waste of both of our time.

Doing a bit more reading and less typing would serve you well.
Those charges were in contravention of the Criminal Code of Canada!? Wow, they ARE serious up in the Yukon!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I am glad there are so many upstanding fellow hunters on this forum. Seems like the majority here are perfect all the time. Good luck with this thread
Upstanding means in good standing in your respective community. I think the whole discussion here is with whether or not it tarnishes the mans name. Nobodies doing any **** talking just stating opinions. Get over it!

And I haven't been charged/convicted with anything so I am upstanding. Most of us are and try to stay that way. But if **** happens to me let's discuss. Many have! One time I asked if it was true that we couldn't quad in wmus before a certain time. My question was torn apart by people preaching the regs. I wasn't butt hurt thou, get over it.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Why revel in another's anguish? Absolute lack of class.

I've never met Pat, but from the posts I've seen here, he seems to be a straight forward, honest kind of guy. From what I gather in the article, he made a bad, but honest mistake. He fessed up and will pay his dues.

Sorry it happened, Pat. I hope you sort it out quickly and carry on with your hunting career.
Nobody made a mistake here he took his chances and was caught.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 PM

Thread has been reopened after a clean up. First thing is he is not a poacher, From the article it states he made a mistake and openly admitted it. He did not contest the charges and pleaded Guilty. Am I defending him, no as he does not need defending. He did wrong and admitted it. He has done more good for the hunting scene than most of you combined. I have never met the man but from all his posts his character is that of a hard working man who loves to hunt. Only thing is he made an error and openly admitted it. How many of you have the gonads to do that.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
How many of you have the gonads to do that.
X2 the man made a few mistakes over a couple days... It happens.
Go ahead... Erase this post and ban me.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
thread has been reopened after a clean up. First thing is he is not a poacher, from the article it states he made a mistake and openly admitted it. He did not contest the charges and pleaded guilty. Am i defending him, no as he does not need defending. He did wrong and admitted it. He has done more good for the hunting scene than most of you combined. I have never met the man but from all his posts his character is that of a hard working man who loves to hunt. Only thing is he made an error and openly admitted it. How many of you have the gonads to do that.
exactly!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Gone Hunting

I do know him, and this whole thing shocks me. I am sure he will have the nads to post on here at some point, how it happened....just to satisfy the jealous people